62 Grill - blacked out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_1987.jpg

Not a 62 but same frontend I really like it blacked out. my chrome was pealing off looks way better now I think:) I just sanded it then got my buddy to paint it @ his shop.

Matt

did you take all of the chrome off the stripping and houseings to the bare plastic before you painted, what paint did you use?
no i left the chrome on but i went to Napa and bought this chrome prepper(i cannot remember the name...comes in a spray can)

anyway i then scuffed up with some water and 400 grit sandpaper, primered with lacquer (black) then sprayed on the black spray paint(rattle) i had laying around.

haha, no way, brush looks horrible, i think i might just strip the chrome off, since it is already pealing off in a few spots, and looks bubbly in most others

I'm doing my 62 grill right now and it is just about finished. I cannot tell you how many hours it has taken me sanding the chrome to rough it up. I used rustoleum. Oh and you will never get that chrome off. It is nearly immpossible. The plastic underneath is a lot softer so once you get all the way through the chrome(which is real hard) it will rip up the plastic. I blacked out the grill on my old 60 and just sanded the chrome. It worked really well.

Personally I like the balcked out look over the chrome. I'm thinking more of a semi-gloss/gloss black out on almost all of the chromed trim. I figured I could do the 62 and the C at the same time. I would keep the Toyota logo chromed though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom