Wiring the Carb Cooloing Fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
homepage.mac.com
I am looking to get my carb cooling fan to work. From observing the wire from the fan to the manifold, I am pretty sure it is the culprit. What over the counter wire from NAPA would be best to use as a replacement wire? I've heard 10 gauge heat insulated.

I will also need help wiring it up. Thanks!

10 ga should be find - anything will do, really.

It's EASY to hook up, as well, as long as you can find the wire on the harness...all you have to do is mate that with the sensor (the sensor is a little hard to find. IIRC, I had to climb up under the truck to get a visual on it, then I did it all by feel.

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat044.tam?xax=30781&page.ctx=cat044.tam (I think it's part #90 on the Manifold Assembly -- 8/76-8/87 didagram - but that doesn't do it justice. It's hidden up under the carb though.)

It's a one wire deal and I think you'll need a female blade-type connector for it.

Just made sure you have the sensor though. The PO's mechanic left it off of mine...you can get one used from cruiserparts.net for about $35.

Thanks for the quick reply, Swank.

I did something nutty over lunch. I went and bought the parts at NAPA, got back to work, opened the hood to see what I could see as far as the wiring went, then moved the harness around a bit. I heard a very faint clicking... so I moved it more... nothing. So I banged on the fan a bit (remembering someone's post about a pebble being stuck in the fan) and the audible click started going a little faster. So I banged more... faster still.

Thank goodness for cave man mechanics.

Now it is working, but I am not sure if it is blowing as much as it should be. How much air should it be moving? And is there a way to lube the fan?

When my fan stopped working, the wiring checked out, so I took it off the fender (a little tricky with the hood hinge there, but I didn't have to totally unbolt the hinge to remove the fan) and broke it down on my bench. There was a LOT of crud in there for a fairly well sealed unit, and after I cleaned the contacts, gave it a little lube, and put it back together it worked like a champ.

It's not a high flow (I'm sure swank60 has hair dryers that blow more air :flipoff2: ) but it's definitely enough to cool the carb.

Good luck!

Cool. Mine is probably working fine then. It was blowing enough to where I could feel a pretty good vacuum on the outside vent (driver's side fender). From the blower it felt like a hair dryer on a low setting. Good?

Ill butt in here, again. :)
I am tracing the gremlin that keeps my fan from working.
I hot wired the "air raid horn" and the fan works fine.
I cannot find a part number for the temp sensor. 88FJ62
Not listed in my FSM.

Well, after driving home from work last night, the fan didn't kick on. Maybe I have a short or maybe I didn't generate enough heat (the ride is only about 10-12 minutes). Same thing today after getting to work, no fan.

What gives?

Is it a dry heat???

From what I've seen with my 88fj62 the fan won't kick on after such a short drive.
Unless maybe the ambient temp is over 100 F and you are running the air while pulling
a trailer.
If the engine has been running at operating temp for a while (???? time ????) and it is hot
enough outside then the fan should kick on soon after you shut it down.
Mine never kicks on right away. It always waits at least a minute before kicking on.

Prior to adding the headers on the FJ62 the carb cooling fan rarely turned on. W/ the headers it's every time. Here's a photo of the temp sensor
FJ62-Carb-Cooling-Temp-Swit.jpg

Thanks, guys. I will check on it later today... the drive to and from lunch should be enough to get it going (plus it is gonna be 94 or 96 here in sunny Savannah today).

Ming... is the sensor the small thing with a nut near the rear-most portion of the header? Or is it the connector thingy?

I'm also trying to fix mine. I found the sensor last night and the wire is completely gone. At the fan, I have a 2 wires going to a connector that goes right into the harness. My question is - are these two wires all the connect to the fan? Or does the sensor wire that I'm missing go directly to the fan somewhere. I haven't located another connection on the fan. If I replace the wire to the sensor, I can't figure out where the other end should go. I do have a broken mystery wire that comes out of the harness with 2 others. The other 2 run to a connector and then to a sensor (?) on the engine side of the carb as far as I can tell. Would the broken third wire be the carb fan sensor wire?

Well, mine is working again. I think it just has gunk built up that keeps it from spinning as freely as it needs to. It does click on though, so that is good. I am going to lube it a bit this weekend. What sort of lube would be best for this?

gulp... welcome to the board. Sorry, but I can't be of much help to you.

gulp - according to the wiring diagram there are about 5 wires going into the fan. here's the colors giving:
GREEN
RED-BLUE
BLUE-YELLOW
WHITE-BLACK
L (I'm not sure what L stands for. Lavender?)

Anyway, it's the one that's marked "L" that hooks up to the sensor.

You'll need to get a diagram and search out what those other free wires is supposed to hook up to.

Okay Gulp, here's the deal: I went out last night and took a few photos and looked at my truck. First off, the wire that went to the sensor wasn't light blue. It was BLACK. If you look at the photo of the wires, you can see how it is seperated from the harness that leads to the pee-water yellow connector. That's the wiring for the fan unit.

The second, shot shows where the sensor it on the 60. It's more hidden away than what's on the 62. It's the blurry thing with the red wire running to it.

Hope these help.
DSC00286.jpg
DSC00288.jpg

Thanks Swank! I appreciate you going to the trouble of taking pics. They really are worth 1000 words. I have to travel this weekend for work but I'll be fixing this next week. I may have to do some sorting out since the connector at the fan is "pee water yellow" but it's plugged into a green connector? Maybe a replacement or somethings plugged in the wrong place. Another question, my connections from the lid of the brake fluid resevior need a home. Just 2 male blades with no plastic housing? I have a free female "pee water yellow" connector that needs a date but it seems strange that the correct mate would be the 2 males blades with no housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom