Need "tough" running board ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brownbear

Mod in Hibernation
Threads
Ok I got too many kids.....:) 2 now...third on the way and short wife.

I will have to install some form of running board. But I do want it not soo low but give good support and handle some bumps when wheeling....

I thought the ARB side steps may be a good choice. But $$.. I could build something out of 2x6 box steel, brackets to the frame..

But thought I would see what other have done to provide protection and be functional for kidlets..

Here is a shot of the ARB's
http://www.4by4connection.com/fj60.html
cruiserconnection_1943_23523202.jpg

Just get some sliders and they can function as a step and will help out a lot with protection. talk to 2badfjs he can set you up with something custom if you want a real low step or something. As soon as I get money im going to be getting a set from him.

Have you looked at
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic.php?t=95111&highlight=sliders

80 series I know, but a great DIY thread.
Do you guys have XXXX and thongs?

Regards

LOL that is funny..... Great diy build though. But can't say I have seen people welding like that. Beer allows you to ignore the slag burns.

I could build something like that.

That is the basic idea. Most of the sliders I have seen would not quite work well enough as a step for the :princess:..

So I do need a step first. But I don't want to sacrifice much clearance. Optimum height needed :)

Just low enough momma can lift a kid into a seat, and high enough I don't get hung up on them.

I was also thinking of using something like receiver hitch steel and have pins that can be removed and the running board drops down/off.

Here is a picture of the 'step sliders' I had 2badfjs biuld for my 60. My wife started riding in the 60 after these were added. Did it just for her ;)

373096.JPG

Here is a picture of the 'step sliders' I had 2badfjs biuld for my 60. My wife started riding in the 60 after these were added. Did it just for her ;)

373096.JPG

looks good. Any more pics? Like more side shots and under..... That is basically the idea I had in my head.

I just picked these up for my 60. I got the 67" and it looks like they were build for it. I an going to install the steel mesh so they can be used as steps. My wife is 5'2".

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/armor.htm

I can't buy the material for the cost of the kit.

Yah with mesh and left flat down they would be ok for a step. Wonder how strong they would be for standing on?

I would be nervous to weld to my frame, might have to make a bolt on set up.

back to topic, call 2badfjs. I saw a pic of one of his that had sliders with a small step on them- may have been his rig... either way, he'll make em custom.

I agree his work is very nice. But I am 2000 miles away and in a another country....LOL so I'm afraid shipping/customs kills the deal.

That's always a problem when your in Canukia. Even worse when it is in a northern province.

But I do admire his work.

I'm planning on welding plates and adaptoer to the frame adn them going with a pin style set up to remove them.

This will probably work fine until I tweak them and can't get them off.

I was warned by a welder awhile ago if I welded to my frame not to do vertical welds. As they could cause a crack that could cause the frame to split.

Now we have boxed frames so I'm sure it is not soo bad. But something to consider. Try to keep the welds horizontal. One at the top of the plate and one under should suffice.

I know the under one is pain in the arse to weld. Drippy sh_tty welds.

ahhhh... I say make your own if you've got some tools/time. lord knows you canucks have enough beer...

Beedon sliders......need I say more?

Any more pics of those step sliders?

A couple of Jim's designs.......

80_sliders.jpg

62_slider.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom