tranny to transfer oil migration? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a lead on an fj60 that sounds great, except the owner has described the transmission problem of oil going from the tranny to the transfer case. Has anyone heard of this? It is an 84 with 4speed tranny. Maybe it's just leaky, I have not seen it yet.
thanks

Usually it flows the other way from the transfer to the tranny.

Mine was flowing from tranny to transfer. I bought the kit from man-a-fre that runs a hose between the 2 drain plugs to even out the levels. You might want to fix it right but this worked for me.

Brian

The kit from man-a-fre or SOR is made for when your transfer case pumps oil up into the transminssion, not the other way around, as the problem you describe. You will need to disassemble the transfer case and replace the oil seal between the transfer and transmission. I had this problem on a rebuilt case and R&R-ed it two more times. The second time I also replaced the transfer case vent with a hose barb and ran a breather extension up into my engine compartment. Now the problem seems to have gone away. I don't know if it was a bad seals, or whether the vent wasn't working properly and creating a vacuum in the transfer case when it cooled down, causing it to suck oil in from the transmission.

The R&R procedure is straightforward but somewhat time consuming and you should replace all the other transfer case gaskets. At a minimum, price out a gasket set and figure six to eight hours labor, and ask the seller to discount the price.

If you've got the $$$ have an H55F installed at the same time. You'll end up saving money! (yeah, right).

I think the only way for the fluid to go from transfer to trany would be if the transfer breather was completely clogged. Thats bad.
I can't believe somebody would sell a "fix" for a simple and possibly catastrophic problem.

The breather is easy to clean out to begin with, and the best fix (extend the breather as 2mbb described) is pretty easy as well.

Whatever way the oil is moving, its not supposed to, so I would say fix it. :cheers:

I think the only way for the fluid to go from transfer to trany would be if the transfer breather was completely clogged. Thats bad.
I can't believe somebody would sell a "fix" for a simple and possibly catastrophic problem.

What I've heard is that the transfer gear acts like a pump and creates a high pressure zone in the transfer case causing the oil to go from transfer up into the transmission.

gracias!!

Very interesting. Thanks. This forum is awesome. Now I just need to unload a 94 4runner with a blown motor and I am back in another 60.

I had a similar problem a couple years back with fluid being pumped up into the tranny from the t-case. I built a kit like they sell at MAF with a length of hose and a couple 90 degree fittings from the local hydraulics shop. Less than 10 bucks. The fluid levels now remain correct so it appears to be working. One of these days I'll get in there and replace the seal, but it's a good temporary fix.

A defective o-ring on the transfer case idler gear shaft will allow oil from tranny to enter the transfer case....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom