Winch options on ARB Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dereksvoice.com
Back in April I bought an ARB winch bumper, but they sent me the wrong one. I requested the one that will handle the 8274 or 9000, but I got the one designed for the M10000 & M12000. I didn't want to go this heavy on the winch, but it would be too much hassle to send the bumper back, as it was shipped with my OME kit.

What other winches will fit on this bumper, with no mods? I called ARB and they confirmed that the only ones will be the M10000, 12000 and 16000.

By the way, the M10000 will be discontinued soon, FYI.

Thanks for the help.

they must have some real smart ones working in the wharehouse, it seems that every other person that orders a bumper from arb gets the wrong one delivered.

I'm no expert...but...

I think you may need to mod a little to fit the M12k in that bumper. I have the M10k...fits nicely in there - no mods.

I wanna say there was a nice thread a while back showing someone modding the M10k bumper to fit the m12k...but I could be wrong.

I bet a 9500 Warn of some verison(without built in selnoid pack) would fit fine

Not to hijack, but since we are on the topic,
Which ARB bumper part number would I buy to be able to fit my winch. Which is one of these.
XD9000i On my 84 BJ60(should be same as FJ60 of that year)

I am going to order one soon and want to get the right bumper. But if I have to modify slightly I will. But would rather get the right one for my winch.
Thanks
Warn_XD9000i.jpg

The only way to fit that winch on an Arb without cutting the bumper would be to rotate it so the solenoid pack was on its side. That will lead to water and dirt build up inside the solenoid pack. Leading to premature failure.

SafariGard bumper will fit a XD9000i. You will have to trim the valance and grill though.

I have the same winch. In process of selling it to replace with Warn 9.5xp

http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/members/albun39

heres the link to my 12k install on that bumper ... I also think any remote box winch will fit but you might need to rotate the clutch lever.. I love my 12 not as heavy as everyone says ...well it is but it works great

rumor has it that the Superwinch EP series with the non-integrated solenoid pack will fit the ARB bull bar. the source was knowledgable and reliable but you may want to confirm this with Superwinch.

for what it's worth,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

BTW, Warn has already discontinued the 10K winches but ARB still has some remaining stock.

Also, ARB has some very good people working in their tech and sales departments. If your original invoice was for the bumper you wanted and ordered, I'd be very surprised if they wouldn't take back the wrongly shipped bumper at their expense and send you the right one. Give them a call, you've got nothing to lose. At worst, they could at least give you some other winch options for the bumper currently in your possesion.

Don't know if this is of any help, but there you have it :)
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

The 3410050 (such as the one 4lowNgo has) should fit the Warn M10, XD9000, M8, M6, 9.5XP, Tabor 9k 7 12k. Some use a spacer kit (free) and the M12 will requie a bit of trimming (as shown by kling-on :cool:). In addition, there are alot of Ramsey's, Magnums, Superwinch's, etc that will fit. As with most ARB bumpers, only non-integrated winch units.

I'd love to know what different units others are running so I help customers in the future.

As I recall this bumper did come from us ~ 6 months ago. When we chatted about the error you didn't think it was an issue as you planned to run a winch that would fit anyways. Let me know which one your considering running and we will make it happen :D

I'm guessing I have the ARB bar for the M10,000/M12,000 on my 60. (Cruiser Solutions had one of the 60 bars on the showroom floor; I said I'll take it! :D ). I installed a Ramsey Rep 9.5e winch. It ALMOST bolts in. I needed to slot the holes in the direction of the (USA) driver's side to get enough room for the winch motor.

Thus far I am very happy with this winch. I've doubled lined it on two different occasions to drag a diesel Dodge crew cab dually and 16K gooseneck loaded with my machine tools outa' the mud next to my shop. The winch did this without complaint; just pulled the truck/trailer out. Same winch is $550 from www.ok4wd.com ...I'd recommend it as a decent alternative to the big red W.

Nick

Last edited:
zebrabeefj40 said:
I'm guessing I have the ARB bar for the M10,000/M12,000 on my 60. (Cruiser Solutions had one of the 60 bars on the showroom floor; I said I'll take it! :D ). I installed a Ramsey 9.5e winch. It ALMOST bolts in. I needed to slot the holes in the direction of the (USA) driver's side to get enough room for the winch motor....

Any pics?

Sometimes the part number is still on a sticker on the backside of the bumper, any chance yours is there?

Godwin said:
ARB lists model #3410030 for the XD9000, which is the same bumper that takes the 8274. So I guess that's what you'd need. There's no listing for the XD9000i.

Any know what the difference is between the XD9000 and the XD9000i?

I have no probelm doing slight mods to my ARB bar, but want to get the closest fit as possible....

4x4 connection does list the 30 for 8274 and XD9000 and the 50 is for the 10k,12k winches.....

So anyone know which is better to try and fit a XD9000i into...?

One thing I do not want to do is cut the grill or valance, as the valance is new and the grill looks silly cut IMOP.

cruiseroutfit said:
Any pics?

Sometimes the part number is still on a sticker on the backside of the bumper, any chance yours is there?
I can get a pic tomorrow in the daylight. Sticker was on the front so it's gone. I'll see if I can locate the paperwork for it...

Nick

brownbear said:
Any know what the difference is between the XD9000 and the XD9000i?

I have no probelm doing slight mods to my ARB bar, but want to get the closest fit as possible....

4x4 connection does list the 30 for 8274 and XD9000 and the 50 is for the 10k,12k winches.....

So anyone know which is better to try and fit a XD9000i into...?

One thing I do not want to do is cut the grill or valance, as the valance is new and the grill looks silly cut IMOP.

You can get all the specs on the 2 winches at Warn's web site. The difference is in the solenoid packs. The i model that you have is integrated into the winch housing. This is where your problem lies. The housing is too large to fit into the bumper. To make it work you would have to cut the bumper above the winch mount. I would not call this as a "slight mod". Someone on the 80 forum rotated his so that the solenoid pack was behind the winch rather than on top. He suffered solenoid failures. You could try that, but waterproof the solenoid housing. Clean often.

See my thread on the safari gard for pictures:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=84008&page=2&highlight=xd9000i

The only bull bar I know of that will fit the winch is the SafariGard. Valance and grill would have to be cut. I am with you on the grill and that is why I'm going to go with a 9.5xp. Valance will still be cut.

Edit: You could contact SafariGard to see if they would build the bumper with longer mounting plates. Having the bumper sit about 2-3 inches farther out would probably get you the space you need. And still probably have a better approach angle than an ARB. I don't know what this would do the the strength of the bumper though.

Last edited:
Corbet said:
You can get all the specs on the 2 winches at Warn's web site. The difference is in the solenoid packs. The i model that you have is integrated into the winch housing. This is where your problem lies. The housing is too large to fit into the bumper. To make it work you would have to cut the bumper above the winch mount. I would not call this as a "slight mod". Someone on the 80 forum rotated his so that the solenoid pack was behind the winch rather than on top. He suffered solenoid failures. You could try that, but waterproof the solenoid housing. Clean often.

See my thread on the safari gard for pictures:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=84008&page=2&highlight=xd9000i

The only bull bar I know of that will fit the winch is the SafariGard. Valance and grill would have to be cut. I am with you on the grill and that is why I'm going to go with a 9.5xp. Valance will still be cut.

Edit: You could contact SafariGard to see if they would build the bumper with longer mounting plates. Having the bumper sit about 2-3 inches farther out would probably get you the space you need. And still probably have a better approach angle than an ARB. I don't know what this would do the the strength of the bumper though.

Thanks for the info and link.

I could waterproof the solenoid pack not too bad. And always run with a cover when not in use.

Anyone have a picture of the backside of an ARB to show me where it would hit?

The extended SafariGard is also an option. I prefer not to cut the grill, but I really do not want to sell my winch and buy another.

I might even consider welding in a receiver type hitch to the front bumper of the ARB and going with a removable winch. Then use the warn cradle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom