Paul Decker Traction Bars (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone using the Paul Decker traction bar? Yea or Nea? Considering purchasing one, looks like a basic design. For $189 the price seems reasonable.

Thanks
Fman

Last edited:
One word "Triangulation" which this has none.
trac_bar.jpg

Are there any other companies selling a pre-built traction bar for an FJ40?

I'm running one in my FJ40. Mudrak and ButchBuilt only used Decker's bars when they do spring overs (did in Butch's case). I'm perfectly happy with it.

Paul Decker used to build his own SCCA race cars, so I trust his suspension design:
http://dsr.racer.net/chassis/decker/page1.htm

Dave

I had one similar . It only grabbed on the top like decker's .I still had alot of axlewrap . I do have a v-8 though it might be okay with an f or 2f but if it was me I'd opt to use a bar that grabs the housing top and bottom .It's alot better design.

LCOwner said:
One word "Triangulation" which this has none.

http://www.deckersonline.com/services51832.html

Why do you say there is no triangulation? The spring factors in, I think. it's fixed at the front, right?

I've seen several rigs equipped with DEcker's bar, and haven't seem any with axle wrap issues.

Did you look at the drawings lower in the web page?

Ross Woody
Vallejo, Ca
TLCA #7704

Deckers bar works. It acts as the third link in a three link suspension (the other two being the forward section of the leaf springs).
And before the naysayers start with "this cant work becuase the leaf springs flex" stop and think where the forward motion of your truck comes from (rear axle) and how it is transfered to the vehicle (through the front section of your leaf springs).
I have, and a number of friends have used these for years with no problems. Rubicon, Fordyce, daily commute tested......
PMK

IMO

limits travel, and can only travel with pinion angle change, and actually makes it really bad with droop. limited travel is what you would like, then ok. Design and diagram make alot of assumtions on arc of travel of the stationary point located above the axle with the actual travel and rotation of the housing through the spring travel, which can be vary different between setups, springs, shackle lengths, SUA or SOA, etc...

still relies on the spring for lower rotation point, if the springs were able to control the axle why would you need a traction bar. ever see a spring S ? this design still can allow that to happen. " ghetto bar " are all similiar in design. WILL it help, yes it can/might, will it eliminate no.

paul decker puts a lot of thought and R&D into everything he sells/produces. all his stuff it top notch and i would not hesitate to put any of it on my cruiser.

i do not have one of these bars on my rig because i built my own but i have seen a few rigs with them on the rubicon and they work flawless. enough said.

HawkDriver said:
$189 holy smokes. What I could do with that. Got a link to this bar?

sure you could, but what equipment would you need and how much time would it take you to come up with your own design and then actually build it?! this is a bolt on that works.

orangefj45 said:
sure you could, but what equipment would you need and how much time would it take you to come up with your own design and then actually build it?! this is a bolt on that works.

looks like it needs welding to me......i could be wrong ;)

All of Pauls stuff is very well thought out. He puts a lot if time and thought into the products before he starts to market them. Most of his marketing is word of mouth. If you have a question on the traction bar call Paul and go over it with him and make sure it is the right application for you rig.

I am a little biased as I have Pauls stuff on my rig and it is currently at his shop for a few more items. This land cruiser stuff is addicting.

2badfjs said:
looks like it needs welding to me......i could be wrong ;)

you're absolutely correct. i should have phrased my reply differently. just like any other traction bar kit, this one requires the use of a welder and some common hand tools.

orangefj45 said:
you're absolutely correct. i should have phrased my reply differently. just like any other traction bar kit, this one requires the use of a welder and some common hand tools.

now that look at it a bit closer, it looks like a solid bar, that would work like a swing arm.
solid mount at the front (no shackle) i see that it keeps the diff from rotating backwards.

got it!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom