Adjusting oil pressure regulator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am needing to adjust my oil pressure regulator. I took a look at it, and there is a large bolt/plug on the front side of it, and a smaller bolt/plug with a 10mm head on the back side of it. I hope it is the 10mm plug that is the adjustment, because the exhaust hits the other one. Which is it and do you turn it right or left to increase pressure?

oil pressure regulator

It's the small bolt on the front (radiator side) of the regulator. Loosen the large lock nut and run the small one in the center of the lock nut in. You might want to check your o-rings on the rocker arms if you have the 2 piece style, they get pretty baked and you can loose some oil pressure from there.

72FJ40LandCruiser said:
I am needing to adjust my oil pressure regulator. I took a look at it, and there is a large bolt/plug on the front side of it, and a smaller bolt/plug with a 10mm head on the back side of it. I hope it is the 10mm plug that is the adjustment, because the exhaust hits the other one. Which is it and do you turn it right or left to increase pressure?

Umm, maybe I've got a bad understanding of the purpose of the regulalator on the left side of the F engine. I've understood it to be a contoller of the pressure at which oil is bypassed to the oil filter and is not a controller of baseline engine oil pressure.
I've thought that the way it works is that the F engine uses a filtering system that is parttime (bypass, not full flow filtering) and that the regulator is there to keep the oil out of the filter until the line pressure reaches a set level. The level I've seen for that is 50 psi.

I could be wrong.

Actually the regulator simply dumps oil to the pan once the pressure is high enough. At lower pressures most goes to the bearings/etc. and a smaller amount goes to the filter. At higher pressure (44-50psi IIRC) the regulator will allow oil to flow through the second oil line that threads into the block. This oil is being returned to the pan.

I screwed mine all the way and even shimmed it a bit. The factory regulator setting seemed low. This of course will give better pressure at highway speeds, but not affect idle speed pressure.

I agree about the rocker shaft o-rings, and I'll assume you're working off a mechanical gauge, not the stock one.

Thats it - it's a safety valve to prevent excessive oil pressure.

Just so noone thinks that adjusting it will restore pressure in a weak system...

on a related note, I'm cleaning up my F's oil filter mount and see that the hole feeding to the center of the filter is really small- like 2 mm or so. Will widening it get any more oil throught the filter, or will it screw something else up?

Jim,
I think that opening that hole up would lessen the pressure to the rest of the engine - specifically the cam and lifter mechanism.
The FSM describes the lubrication system as sending a portion of the pumped oil to the bearings and all and a portion to the filter at any given time. That hole is probably how the engineers set the proportions going each way.
Make sure it's clean but I wouldn't hog it out without improving the oil pump output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom