Hardtop question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am taking my hardtop apart and am having trouble getting the bows that go above the front doors off the fiberglass top. I removed the 4 or 5 phillips head screws going horizontal into the bows but I still can't seem to reach the bolts holding it to the top. Does the bow come apart somehow to access these bolts?

Thanks,

Jeremy

I am taking my hardtop apart and am having trouble getting the bows that go above the front doors off the fiberglass top. I removed the 4 or 5 phillips head screws going horizontal into the bows but I still can't seem to reach the bolts holding it to the top. Does the bow come apart somehow to access these bolts?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Those covers are held on by folds in the metal...they can be removed by tapping the forward portion with a rubber mallet thus sliding them backwards and out of the channel.

Doc

That's great-Thank you. I knew there had to be an easier way and I did not want to force it and break it.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Here's a couple pics that may help. The door bows are the 4 pieces at the top. Once they are loose, I have found that rather than sliding them from one end the inner piece can easily "hinge" in and out by inserting the edge into the outboard lip of the other piece.

Second picture shows the bow secured to roof with inner piece removed.
Dad's iPhone 002.jpg
100_6724.jpg

Warning upcoming hijack

tclark65 what are those corner bracket show in your picture for? I don't seem to have those on my 75.

done with the hijack.

missioncruiser I had a hard time getting those off the first time too ;)

Warning upcoming hijack

tclark65 what are those corner bracket show in your picture for? I don't seem to have those on my 75.

done with the hijack.

missioncruiser I had a hard time getting those off the first time too ;)

Corner brackets are for the rear door opening to hardtop sides.
You can see an installed set in post #7 of this thread...
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...ling-81-hardtop-onto-my-74-keeping-hatch.html
At the corners of the hatch (same for ambulance doors).

Correct. I have a 76 with ambulance doors. Here's a pic of driver's side installed.
100_6707.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I guess I'm missing some pieces from my 40...

Those covers are held on by folds in the metal...they can be removed by tapping the forward portion with a rubber mallet thus sliding them backwards and out of the channel.

Doc
Here's a couple pics that may help. The door bows are the 4 pieces at the top. Once they are loose, I have found that rather than sliding them from one end the inner piece can easily "hinge" in and out by inserting the edge into the outboard lip of the other piece.

Second picture shows the bow secured to roof with inner piece removed.
View attachment 499052View attachment 499053
I have removed the fiberglass top to replace the headliner. The cross member came off with the top. The whole assembly as you have photographed is completely stuck together with paint I think. I'm having nightmares thinking I'm going to crack the fiberglass. So moving from the front of the truck to the back I going to tap, tap, tap this thing apart?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom