1991 FJ40 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Might as well start with the story behind this. I told my wife one evening that I was thinking about getting an fj62, which she told me was fine. And then the next day she calls me at work and says, "Well if you get a 62 I get a 40 but it has to be automatic!" I said I would like into what it would take to make it work. Apparently now there is no 62 for me though dangit.
Spent a few hours on mud and decided it just might be doable in an all Toyota fashion, which is the only way I was gonna do it. I have messed with the cummins and chevy stuff before and it is just not my style. So then for the search, I had to find a 40 and a donor. After looking at a few Cruisers local I decided that I would have to broaden my search, and posted a wanted ad here on mud. Which ended up with me buying a 1974 fj40 from New Mexico sight unseen. This deal took awhile to work out and then had to wait for the shippers to do their thing which ended up with my brother going through a bit of an ordeal. Hopefully he will come on and post the story.
During this time I was also searching for an fj62 or fj80 to use for a donor vehicle for the entire drivetrain. I ended up finding a 1991 fj80 on craigslist with a blown headgasket for 1k obo. Ended up getting it for 700 not sure this was a wonderful deal haha. Again a pretty good story for my brother to tell. He gets to go through these adventures because I am working and he is not and he likes Cruisers too much to tell me no when I ask him to do this stuff.
So while we were waiting for the 40 to come in we tore into the 80 and rebuilt the top end. Everything went smoothly and the engine started up on the first crank. So now it is ready to drop into the 40.
The 40 came in middle of this week and we played around in it for a couple of days. And then tore into this weekend and pulled the drivetrain. Which I found a little hard to do emotionally haha (not the case with the 80 its pretty gross inside). The stock 1.5f engine ran great, was recently rebuilt, started on the first crank and just had that good cruiser character. It also came with an sm420 bolted up to it and I believe the 4sp tcase. This is all for sale though I havent posted it yet. I have video of the engine running and going through all the gears to show how well it all worked. Contact me if interested.
The plan is to swap the entire drivetrain including the axles from the 80 over into the 40. Probably will be putting it on 35s and using as a dd and weekend warrior.
The three main characters working on this are me, my brother (vikingcruiser), and the wannabe murse (indianporfavor)
DISCLAIMER: No one working on this project has any idea what we are doing and have never done anything like this before. Any advice at any point is greatly apprecciated.

Ya ya I know, worthless without pics. But this might be better to start with. (she thinks the 40 is cool)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c0R2A5Ky4I

Alright here are some pics of where we are starting
DSC_0077.jpg
DSC_0082.jpg

And just when you think everything is pretty good you get this going on. Apparently someone somewhere down the line thought putting in a 5 gal fuel cell and welding the the fuel door shut was a good idea. Does anyone make a small piece of floor section I could weld in?
DSC_0089.jpg
DSC_0102.jpg
DSC_0104.jpg

here are some pics of the work this weekend. And thats it from me for now
P9180032.jpg
P9190036.jpg
P9190038.jpg

Last edited:
You could likely get that part of the floor from someone scr@pping their tub. The floors don't really rust out there.

ok I am the brother and I guess I will post the stories.

The 91 drove down on a thursday about an hour and a half to look at this cruiser with a blown head gasket with the murse with me. Got there and it was in a trailer park and I was already like GREAT. Anyway get there engine starts not leaking really from anywhere sheet metal is straight. I offer the guy 500 cash. He comes back and says he has an offer for 750 already so I said I am hear ready to hall it off "I will give you 700 and get it out of your hair" (this will be funny later). Well me and the murse sit outside for about an hour while this derelict looks for the title. Can't find it of course so long story short drive an hour and a half back to the house no cruiser. He calls me as I am about 5 minutes from the house and says he just got another if I want to drive back down. So we went the next day and picked her up. Well why the get it out of your hair part is funny is that this guy had a flat top and on the side of his head he had a female tattooed on it. As we looked this female was butt naked and not only naked but spread eagle facing you. Then we noticed the best part SHE HAD A CLUBBED FOOT! Also this man had some of the most back hair I had ever seen and he was nice enough to leave us some in the change holder of the 80.

Ok for the 40 I was supposed to meet the transporter at 730-8 AM but he calls and says 1100 so I get there about 1110. I met him right down the road at the grocery our road is too small for the truck to go down. Anyway get there and he starts telling me that the truck on the back fell off on a back road in texas going about 35 mph but that it is fine but thats why he is late. Come to find out this truck is a 2001 f550 DEA mobile meth sniffing lab that weighs 15000 pounds. It was a cool rig and he let me look through it. The reason why I had time to look through it was it DIDNT START. It had 12000 miles on and and wouldn't start. On top of that when they put it back on in texas they bent the ramps from a wrecker winching it up and this caused them to be very hard to get out so I had to run home and get a sledge and crow bar to get them out. So he lost all his blocks to block all the ramps somewhere between NM and texas. So I drive him to the lumber yard to get a 6x6 cut up. Get back and get the ramps blocked up so they dont bend. They bent some anyway but me and this guy wife are up front pushing this huge thing off the trailer which was not easy in the least. Finally get it off and out of the way enough to get the 40 off and of course it fires up on the first crank ;) After this ordeal we get it all off he has the nerve to ask me if he can drive my truck 5 miles to the parts store to get what he thinks will fix the f550 so he can get it back on without getting a wrecker to come out. I could not believe the nerve he acted like we were best friends or something. Anyway he gave me 30 bucks for my troubles which I guess is something. So I finally got the 40 to the house at 250 in the afternoon and when I went to the gym at 530 they were winching the truck back on.:hillbilly:

They are a little long winded but my brother better be happy I want to do this project as much as him. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
That isn't a 74 frame. Plus that isn't a late F155 (74) oil filter is not on the intake but on the passsenger's of the late F155. Probably a 73 sold late and titled as 74. Is there a bras tag on the VIN on the passenger's fender below the battery? Not sure I seen one this new with the brass tag. 74 had a factory rollbar with narrow jump seats. The vent in the cowl would be welded close and the heater would have a vent on the top. Just a few other things that changed between the 73 and 74 models. None of this should make any difference with the mods you have plan. good luck with your build.

Alright here are some pics of where we are starting

Not trying to drift your thread, but are the windshield bumpers shown in the above picture oriented correctly? That seems to be the correct way for them to work, however most Cruisers I see (and all Toyota literature that I have seen) show the bumpers with the higher section towards the firewall (backwards from the picture shown). Thanks.

For some reason I didnt think about using a floor piece from another 40 (serious duh moment I guess).Truthfully I have no idea about the windshield bumpers. I also fixed the video.
thanks

Oh, and after watching the video, she'll :princess: be driving it more then you. My wife is the same way. At first see was like you bought that piece of sh!#$. Now see loves to drive it.
Good luck.

haha ya I'm worried I will never get to drive it.
thanks

Didn't get too much done today. We were working on getting the 3fe running just right before pulling it to put in the 40. The intake hose was mangled to hell by the po and had leaks everywhere. So we fixed that up and got a solution that should work in the 40 also. Also got the hot valve adjustment and timing done. It is certainly running better than it was but still have a slightly low idle and a miss/stumble that has an unknown cause. Hope to figure that out tomorrow.
thanks

Such a fun build it sounds like....Now, I know those mountains aren't in Lutz, FL - where ya at?

Why don't you just section the 80 frame, leaving the running gear in it and use the frame and drivetrain out of the 80? :)

I'm subscribed....looking for more progress photos!!

Hopefully I make some progress worthy of photos soon. And on putting the 40 on the 80 frame, well this way just sounds easier to me, at least I hope it is haha.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom