Guage Clusters Differences? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello again. I have another question about the FJ-40. We have been working on a 1969 FJ-40. My friend is trying to get it ready for the summer and it needed some bugs worked out.

Our latest struggle is repairing the odometer. The odometer was frozen in place. We took it apart and cleaned the shaft and number cylinders. Upon further inspection I found that the gears between the drive gear and the first worm gear are stripped. This was pretty amazing considering that this early gauge cluster used metal worm gears. So now we must find away to repair the worm gears. Of course, this is a very difficult part to track down. He does have a 1974 gauge cluster that he acquired to replace or swap parts. This leaves us with a few ideas to correct the problem.

Idealy we would just put in the newer cluster. There are a few problems with this. First, it requires a clip speedo cable and the old one is screw style. We found a place that will change his current cable to match what we need. The next issue is that it has a circuit board that apparently has some sort of harness plug that lights the dash. The 1969 FJ does not have the proper wiring harness for this. I was wondering if any one had any input on this. Could we solder wires to the circuit board to light up what we need lit? How does this circuit board play into the function of the gauges, if at all? Also, the fuel gauge has three terminals instead of two like the old one. Any input on how this newer style cluster works would be greatly appreciated.

We could try to replace the worm gears from the new cluster. This seems like it would be difficult because the worm gear is set in place and would need to be hit out with a hammer and punch. Also the drive gear is pretty mangled up and I don't see any way to replace it.

Lastly we have pondered the idea of just putting the speedometer housing in the old gauge cluster. This of course would require some modification and might not look the greatest.

OK, I'm done. Again, any input on any of our ideas would be awesome. Also, any new ideas would be helpful. Thanks again to all the helpful advice.

Take the 1974 odometer and put it into the 1969 housing. Change the cable to match. Done. I can't imagine what modification you're talking about - it'll fit just fine, the only visual difference will be the presence of the turn signal arrows on the gauge face. If the 1974 cluster has two electrical screw terminals by the speedo hookup, don't worry, just ignore or remove them.

Even if you hooked up the lighting properly in the 1974 cluster (no problem there) the gauges wouldn't play nice with the senders in your 69. The third post on the fuel gauge is a voltage regulator that supplies power to the other gauges (no one knows why toyota built this into the fuel gauge... but they did.

Not only do the ohms values on the fuel gauge change at 9/72, but the older gauges work with a 7 volt drop and the newer gauges work on a full 12 volts.

amaurer

That is what we ended up doing. We put the speedometer into the older gauge cluster. slight modification was required to the extent of drilling out the holes a bit on the housing so they would match the speedometer. They were only slightly off, go figure why they would even make such a small change. The metal was very thin, so to anyone doing something like this on there own FJ, take care in drilling new holes. And that was that, tommorow he's going up to Omaha to a shop that is going to swap out the screw style fitting to a clip style. He was quoted 15 dollars. No one locally would do this. As far as the turn signal indicators on the new speedometer, we were going to change the faces out,but again, the screw holes were off slightly.
Thanks for the input. This forum has been a great help for repairing this old rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom