3 sp tc to 4 sp tranny problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I bought the 3 speed transfer case to 4 speed transmission kit from Downey. I removed the PTO gear and added the spacer, and then reinstalled everything. The problem is, the input gear on the transmission output shaft doesn't match up with the gear in the transfer case (see pic). I have about an 1/8" between the gear and the pto spacer. That's about the same distance the gears are off set. I went for a quick test drive, and the gear whine is bad - I figured it would be. I'm concerned this isn't going to work and/or prematurely wear all these parts out.

So, what am I going to have to do? Do I need to shim the gear back about an 1/8", or is it okay? I know the gear whine will diminish a bit once the gears wear together awhile, but right now it is LOUD.

The pictures are through the pto cover. On the left is the new gear on the tranny output shaft. You can see the pto spacer sleeve above it. Everything is torqued to spec.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :cheers:
transfer case gears0001.jpg
transfer case gears0002.jpg

Seems logical that you could put a shim behind the gear. Pull it out & compare to the old one to get a measurement. There are hardened shims, washers, whatever in more than one place in those units & one could probably be used there as long as it was sized to ride on the inner race of the rear output bearing. Toyota probably has shims available, I had to buy some for my transfer case lash setting.

The 4 speed uses two spacers on the tranny output shaft: One in front of the transfer input gear and one to replace the PTO gear. The front spacer is either missing or the wrong one.

Thanks Pin_Head. Well, there isn't a spacer in front of the input gear. I guess I'm tearing it back apart.

I just looked at SOR's website. Is it #11 in this schematic?

tc schematic.gif

Another quick question. Does that spacer go inside the transfer case or between the tranny/transfer case? I can't tell from the schematic above.

It would have to go behind input bearing to move gear rearward!!!

Spacer #11 fits between the tranny output bearing and the transfer input gear.

Last edited:
Spacer #11 fits between the tranny output bearing and the transfer input gear and you can install it without removing the case.

How? Not doubting you. I don't have the spacer yet. UPS is supposed to deliver it today, but they still haven't arrived and its 4:20. :rolleyes:

Thanks again!
Kyle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom