Were the factory steel rims..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lake Arrowhead, CA (was), Rocky Top, TN (is)
.....just painted gray on the faces, or were the entire things painted? I just picked up 4 from Cruiserdan and want to paint them the way Mr. Toyoda would have.

Back-in-the-day when they came painted gray from the factory (instead of just primered black), how would they have looked - all gray or just the faces gray and the rest black?

Any help is appreciated.....:beer:

As I recall, they were totally gray...

Jerry D.

Last edited:
how wide are these wheels that are still available? 6 inches?

I'm pretty sure my 1973 rims were black on the back, and the gray on the front only. Rustoleum Smoke Gray is a pretty good match. post 75 rims could be different, I don't know for sure.

the few that i've had that won't totally rusted were grey all over.

All of mine are OEM and on my 1978 are grey outside and black inside.

Thanks for all the responses. I just ordered some cans of the Valspar Massey Ferguson Gray that others here have said is a dead-on match. Here's a pic that someone else posted here on MUD with the number:

4058921326_d9f13e04f4.jpg

So, it seems they came with gray faces, but with the rest black. Do you figure it is satin black or semi gloss?

This is exactly the type of minutiae that I love to discuss!

IIRC, the OEM riveted rims on my 1970 FJ40 are/were all gray. They are gone now, so I cannot confirm that.

However, I have 4 OEM welded rims that I got off of an FJ55 at a pick-n-pull and I am pretty sure they are black on the inside. When I get home this evening, I will double check.

BTW, CruiserStuff, those are very nice looking spanky new rims!

Well, here's some definitive proof from the pile of wheels I had buried in the build up of my house:

4074984941_0de884e186.jpg

4074986207_b123fd22cc.jpg

4074987215_ffe2b90eee.jpg

I did, however, also find a couple that were black on the inside and outside (both welded and riveted types) and one that was entirely gray. So, the verdict is still out. I'm gonna go black on the inside with a gray face.....like the pics above.

As that wheel was used for several models through the 70's and 80's and the color varied they were only painted on the face. The backs were still black.

Shane

That's what I figured AATLAS1X......I even have some that came on a '78 with this same style wheel, but painted cygnus white (not repaints, either). Looks pretty good as it ties it in with the roof cap and bezel, but I think I'll go gray since that's the way it would have come from the factory in '76.

Not Toyota related, but it may have been a cost savings too. My dad and I refurbished his 86 F250 one winter. The steel rims on it were a metallic silver on the outsides that matched heavy rear bumper on that truck. It was a pretty standard grade Ford. But the insides of the rims were simply a gray color. I reproduced it when I repainted them, as we brought it back to stock appearance for him. It saved on paint as I primed the rims, then painted the insides first with some similar gray spray paint. Then flipped them over the next day and did the outers with my little paint gun and the Ford metallic silver. If I had done both sides it would have taken another pint or two of the pricey automotive metallic paint.

mine are all black .

i wish some one would buy those old things .

Mine was close to that price...not sure exactly. I had to have my local Do-It-Best hardware store order it for me. It comes in today. I'll post the price (and the results). I've been "scuffing" my rims with a green Scotchbrite pad in preparation. Bought some Valspar primer to go underneath....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom