finally started my 74 fj40 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landcruiserrich

Bench Wheeler
Threads
Hello all! It's finally happened, I've been on this site for years as a wannabe and have been doing this build in my head for a long time. I just rescued my 74 fj40 from sitting for 5 years on my Dad's farm. It was my first car, my Grandpa gave it to me 15 years ago, he was the second owner and bought it when it was a year old. I drove it for 10 years on and off until I had to park it becuse of the rust. It had been sitting for 5 years up until now and it fired right up no problem! My Grandpa had built a rear bumper on it that you could push trees down with, unfortunately the way it was mounted on the frame allowed it to trap all that evil Canadian road salt and alkali soil which proceeded to eat the frame where the rear shackle mounts attatch.:doh: I'd appreciate any input/pics on what other guys have done to fix this problem. I don't want to do a frame off build at this point because I'll probably run out of cash halfway through and have a useless pile of money pit in my garage. I'm also thinking about doing a spring over, but I would like to try raising the front fenders and trimming the rears to fit 35s before I do it. It already has 32s with 2 1/2 inch lift springs and bigger shackles ,a spring over would make it too high.... maybe. Any thoughts? Power steering and disc brakes will be the next mod. And after removing the stock rollbar and seeing what it was mounted to, maybe a rollcage is needed! Still trying to decide on mini truck disc brakes or just swapping a disc brake front end in. I've heard about a 60 series swap but I'm not sure if it's just swapping in a 60 series axle or just the knuckles out.:confused: I'm just getting started now, just cleaned the dirt off to see what's underneath and I'm looking for a mig welder so I can get started. I attatched some pics but I've never done this before so I'm not sure if they worked. I'm looking forward to all the help and ideas you guys can give me along the way. I'll try and post more pics when I get going. :cheers::wrench::beer:
IMG_3162.jpg
IMG_3185.jpg
IMG_3160.jpg

Cool story on the ownership. :)

Weld some cross supports to the body and pull that body off completely. You will be glad you did. It makes it so much easier to work on the body/frame/drive line when the body is not on the frame.

Good luck and keep the thread updated...

Cool story on the ownership. :)

Weld some cross supports to the body and pull that body off completely. You will be glad you did. It makes it so much easier to work on the body/frame/drive line when the body is not on the frame.

Good luck and keep the thread updated...

does the rear tub come off separately or do I have to take the whole body off?

landcruiserrich

Another faded red FJ40 being restored :) I'm in the process of doing a 75 FJ40 that has simliar rust problems in the rear frame rails (take a look at my build thread to see what I started with). I plan on cutting back the rails until I find good metal and weld on new section. I also got new rear spring mounts from Cruiser Solution to replace the rusted factory ones once I get the frame rail repaired. As for the body I just got a 3/4 tub from Aqualu.

As for the front disk brakes, I'll be doing the 60 knuckle swap. A 60 series axle is a little wider then the 40 axle. A lot of people of done this to give them a wider track. I'll just be using the knuckles and birfield from the 60 axle and putting them on my 40 axle.

Hope this help and good luck with the build.

the firewall back is one huge piece. two people can lift it off its not terribly to heavy. you will probly break most of your body mount bolts trying to undo them. i think i broke all but 2. but it would be smart to go ahead and replace all of them anyways.

as for the frame mine isn't as bad as yours, but i ended up having to replace the bumper there was alot of pitting and i figured while the frame is bare its the best time to do this work. i had a small spot of rust on my frame that was soft so i cut it out and welded in new metal. just like a 5" x 3" piece and got one small over spot to fix i think not sure until i get the bumper and rear shackle mount off.

and as for a 40 being a money pit, yes it is. i was in denial when everyone here told me double my projected build cost. well im passed double and will be at triple if not quadruple when im done, but i did change my build plans tremendously from my original goal.

not sure how the front half of your body is (seating area, firewall, etc) but i think IPOR sells heritige now and they make the rear quarters with the wheel wells for like $250 a side i think is what another member told me. haven't called to ask them yet and double check tho which isn't bad compared to CCOT and other places.

Last edited:
I can't afford a tub right now, or even the panels, but the front of my body and the floor is in good shape. I was going to try my hand at rebuilding the rear tub. We just fixed the rust on my buddy's 85 4 runner and another buddy's 92 4 runner. It made me realize how easy it is to do bodywork, making it look nice is another thing... I figure I'll repair the tub now and save some money for a new one later if this doesn't end up turning into some kind of gnarly buggy type thing. That's the cool thing about these builds, you never know what you're going to end up with until you use the thing and break some stuff! I'm excited to see how it turns out!

landcruiserrich

Another faded red FJ40 being restored :) I'm in the process of doing a 75 FJ40 that has simliar rust problems in the rear frame rails (take a look at my build thread to see what I started with). I plan on cutting back the rails until I find good metal and weld on new section. I also got new rear spring mounts from Cruiser Solution to replace the rusted factory ones once I get the frame rail repaired. As for the body I just got a 3/4 tub from Aqualu.

As for the front disk brakes, I'll be doing the 60 knuckle swap. A 60 series axle is a little wider then the 40 axle. A lot of people of done this to give them a wider track. I'll just be using the knuckles and birfield from the 60 axle and putting them on my 40 axle.

Hope this help and good luck with the build.

Looks like frame rust is a common problem with faded red Canadian Cruisers. I should have got a green one.:hillbilly:

Good story. Glad to see another 40 being saved. Just keep at it and dont give up. Mine is in so many pieces and is depressing. But I am slowly getting the parts ready for major rebuild. Try to find a whole tub or 3/4 tub to replace yours. Will save you money over individual body panels.

haven't found a welder yet in my price range, might have to wait until the end of the month to afford a new one. Wrote the day off and got drunk. Are there any advantages to doing a 60 series disc swap over a mini truck disc swap? Are the birfs bigger in a mini truck?

Here's how far I got today. I decided to take Coolerman's advice and go for taking the body off the frame. I started taking everything apart and found the floor and the rest of the frame is in good shape...it is now anyway, I figure if I can attack it now and get rid of the rust that's starting I'll be happier in the long run. It just means I won't be done this summer. Maybe next summer....:rolleyes:
IMG_3187.jpg
IMG_3188.jpg

The right way

Yes you would never get that straight with the body on and it is so much easier with it off.

I actually took mine off by myself by jacking up each side a little at a time and shoring it up, then slid 4x4s under it and on top of some tall sawhorses on each side

then I pushed the chassis out from under the frame

probably better ways but it worked for me

looking forward to how it goes

That's a good idea, where does the body need supports welded in when I do lift it off? Is it going to fold in half where the rear tub attaches to the front floor? It doesn't look like it's even welded along the floor and there's only a few bolts and a little weld holding the rear quarters to the front. Do I need to brace it there?

I managed to get some time in the garage this weekend and between the impact gun/ cutoff wheel/sawzall I got all those bastard body bolts out and the body is ready to lift off the frame. It's actually not that heavy, I was able to lift it up one corner at a time and huck some 2x4s underneath it. I'm really glad I was convinced to do a body off build, I've found alot of rust in the early stages that needs to be fixed now. This isn't going to be a quick build by any means and probably nothing you guys haven't seen before, but I'm appreciating all the input so far. I'm also thinking of doing a 3 link front suspension with coilovers......kind of a departure from what I initially set out to do...
IMG_3228.jpg

Here's a better look at the rust on the frame.:deadhorse: I picked up some .188 wall 2x4 tubing to rebuild the back of the frame. The crossmember that the rear shocks mount to is suspect as well so it'll have to go, I just have to get some motivation and get back in the garage and start cutting. I'm still a bit hesitant to do this because the local Federales frown on homegrown frame repairs. Better not get pulled over I guess :beer::beer::beer:
IMG_3242.jpg

I got back to my build from almost a year away from it. Time flies when you work all the time and still have no money for projects. Got a pressure washer and started blasting the frame. Large rusty chunks of it fell off at the back...Have looked into fabricating a new rear frame section but I'm not sure about the laws regarding welded frame repairs. Anyone in B.C have any experiences with this? The local doughnut munchers are very enthusiastic about handing out tickets and sending lifted 4x4s for D.O.T inspections. I just don't want to get caught with an illegal frame and have a non roadworthy rig after spending all this time and money on it. I know..better to beg forgiveness and all that but the cops here are pretty sticky about 4x4s....guess none of them have them.

dear
i have land cruiser fj80 1997 and i want to swap with fj40 1975 / helllllllllllllllllp me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom