How to rebuild and tweak your 1/75-1984 Door Limiters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The door limiters in the late model land cruisers are poorly lubed and not captive allowing massive dust to settle on the grease and act as an abrasive. This causes the clevis pin to stop rotating, this causes the pin to be warn down from the arm opening and closing. Once you disassemble to limiter this is what the pins look like.

standard.jpg

When the pin is worn down it removes tension from the arm causing the door to no longer lock into the open position. You should hear and feel a solid click when locked/opened and should be able to hold the door open on an incline.

The arm is a harder than the pin this is why the pin gets cut, but in the pic below you can see some arms that I have showing what can happen over years.

standard.jpg

As far as taking the limiter apart, all I can tell you is that they are a huge PITA and you will need a vise and brass drift to drive the old pin out.

Once apart you should have the base and spring like this.
standard.jpg

Then gentle flip the base back inside releasing the tension.

Then a slick trick is.....See where my fingers are, squeeze at this point on both sides in a vise, this will greatly increase tension that was lost if yours is weak. How to tell? If you can open the with ease and not having to place in a vise to open it is weak.

standard.jpg

If you purchase a limiter rebuild kit from SOR (minus nylon washers) or myself this is what you will get.

standard.jpg

Includes

• 2 clevis pins (custom made)
  • 4 washers
  • 2 cotter pins
  • 4 nylon washers for arm to door.
Place base in a vice. Set washer over pin hole. Place second washer on arm. Gently slide arm inside and insert a #3 screw driver through lower hole to align washers and arm. Push pin down driving screw driver out. This is a huge challenge and it is sprung tension you are fighting. When finished you can insert cotter pin and flare end.

standard.jpg

Finished set

standard.jpg

I hope that is helpful to others...

Want to buy a set...https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/267241-rebuild-door-limiters-74-84-fj40-45-a.html#post4147246

Rebuild kit.....https://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandis...ebuild-kit-1974-84-fj40-45-a.html#post4147252

Shane

Last edited:
As I gather used door limiters I find that I have many of the spring tension parts (part that bolts to pillar) and the arm are belt and worn out as pictured above.

I am having new arm made. They will also come plated.

Brad new arm removed from limiter shown.
DSC_0520.jpg

Thanks for posting; mine are creaking and cranky and need attention.

Thanks Shane. This a ways down on my "must do" list but it is there. I'll get ahold of you when it's time!

If you find one let me know. I’m trying to gather the parts, but need the pin and correct washers.

Hey Curtice,

AATLAS1X flaked out a long time ago, but I believe he passed on a lot of his products to SOR. SOR has rebuild kits.

126-12A-KIT DOOR STOP REBUILD KIT

If you find one let me know. I’m trying to gather the parts, but need the pin and correct washers.

Thanks. I saw that and might have to end up doing that. I don’t need the slide arms tho, so was hoping to find a way to just get the pins. Cruisercorps has a kit with just pins, but out of stock. Hopefully will come back at some point. I’m in no rush...was just going through a bunch of plated parts trying to figure out what goes where and realized I need these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom