My TBI adventure...so far (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am posting up progress of my TBI conversion for my carb'd Chevy 350 in my '68 FJ40. I know there is a lot of information on this forum relating to this subject already and I have found it very useful. However, I am a total newb with this stuff and thought others (who might be newbs too) might find something useful from my project. Also, I hope some TBI Veterans will chime in and offer advice.

Here's a pic of the engine now. It's dirty, the PO let it sit for a long time. Fortunately, the mileage is low, only about 4k. The carb is a Carter AFB - it has never run well and I hate messing with it. After much reading, TBI seemed like the easiest, most economical way to get reliable EFI.
DSC00677.jpg

Last edited:
During my research on TBI swapping I found this article and after reading it I decided that DIY EFI was something I could tackle:

How to install GM TBI on any Chevy V8

I started searching for a donor and almost immediately found an '88 Suburban on Craigs List that was being parted out. The engine was still complete so I grabbed it, the harness and ECM (computer) for $100.00. I was pretty stoked with the ease of the find.
DSC00699.jpg
DSC00700.jpg

I blasted the worst of the crud off at the car wash and started pulling stuff off. At this point I'm wasn't even sure which sensors do what, but if it was questionable I pulled it to be sure. What I am sure I need is: MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor, temp sensor, knock sensor. Also pulled electric spark control module and distributor.

Pic of the intake as I stripped it down.
DSC00703.jpg

In order to adapt the TBI intake manifold to my engine the four center bolt holes of the manifold have to modified because the angles are different. I saw that others have done this themselves but I was leary of trying to machine anything and screwing it up. I took it to a local machine shop and they said, "You got a Dremel?"

I said, "yeah."

"Do it yourself, it's easy," he said.

Since I was there I had the manifold hot tanked. Here's what it looked liked after.
DSC00709.jpg

I set up my old Edelbrok intake next to the TBI one and compared the angles. I tried to use a protractor to determine the angle that I would have to bore but this proved impractical. I tried to drill the holes on my drill press but the manifold was akward as hell. Ultimately, I eyeballed and used a hand drill and hogged out the holes and that worked pretty good. I test fitted the intake half a dozen times and finally did break out the dremel to clean up the holes. They are very elongated and it looks a little odd when bolted up but it shouldn't effect anything adversley (right?).
DSC00716.jpg
DSC00711.jpg
DSC00719.jpg

Because the angle that the bolt enters the manifold to bolt to the head is now different from the surface of the manifold it was neccesary to cut an angled recess. I read somewhere that it's 18 degrees. I see that others have fabricated special angled washers but I wasn't crazy about that idea. Instead I used the Dremel again for cutting the recess. The little cutter head was about the right size diameter. It was slow going but I think it came out pretty good. Is it 18 degrees? I dunno but the test fit came out nice. It's hard to see in the picture.

Oh, and I did paint it...VHT flat aluminum with some clear coat.
DSC00722.jpg
DSC00725.jpg

Here's where I am at now. I carefully cleaned the throttle body and have partially reassembled the intake manifold. I will bolt it up to the engine in the next few days. There's still a long way to go including installing a new electric fuel pump, special fuel sender with a return, and fuel lines and of course the wiring!
DSC00738.jpg
DSC00742.jpg

Great job. I love to see parts that are all dirty cleaned up to look new again. Pluss they are so much easier to work with.

I don't understand why people don't have parts hot tanked more.

Great job. I love to see parts that are all dirty cleaned up to look new again. Pluss they are so much easier to work with.

I don't understand why people don't have parts hot tanked more.

It was $20 well spent IMHO.

Thanks for the compliments.

I have been planning on doing this myself,this is like a miracle that someone like you posted it, i will be paying close attention to your thread as far as parts,cost,donor vehicle, especially all those wires...what color what goes where, heck ill make sure i get a 88 suburban unit myself...and thanks for sharing:)

I looked at the Binder Bulletin, I think it's a good starting spot, but does not take you far enough towards completion. I would additionally want one of our instruction manuals (freebie) because it is more detailed with regard to the harness, specifically the 6 wires that go from the GM computor to your Toyota vehicle (in addition to all the wires that go from computor to engine). The Binder Bulletin also mentioned some things we have not found it necessary to do??????

Nice, I'll be watching this thread!

I looked at the Binder Bulletin, I think it's a good starting spot, but does not take you far enough towards completion. I would additionally want one of our instruction manuals (freebie) because it is more detailed with regard to the harness, specifically the 6 wires that go from the GM computor to your Toyota vehicle (in addition to all the wires that go from computor to engine). The Binder Bulletin also mentioned some things we have not found it necessary to do??????

Thanks for that input. At this point I am gathering all the information on this conversion that I can get my hands on. Is there a PDF version of this manual Jim?

Thanks - Ed

I'm still a newb at this swap so I must be missing something obvious, but why didn't you just get an adapter plate for the throttle body to the 4 barrel intake manifold you had on there already?

I'm still a newb at this swap so I must be missing something obvious, but why didn't you just get an adapter plate for the throttle body to the 4 barrel intake manifold you had on there already?

Good point . Looks great though at any rate . What are you hoping to gain from this conversion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom