my 72 40 build up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I figured I would finally post up some pictures now that my fj40 is getting close to being "finished". I wanted a cheap truck I could have fun with but still look decent from 10 feet.

Going to pick her up....what an adventure.
Picture192.jpg

rough spots
Picture202.jpg

rough spots 2
Picture203.jpg

A few pictures from the previous owner. This is how I bought it. It was not running but had a good number of new parts.

myoldfj404.jpg

myoldfj403.jpg

myoldfj402.jpg

myoldfj40.jpg

Fitting in with the Herd. 4" HellCreek lift with the front springs flipped. Rollcage installed. Rockers cut and sliders done. Body work coming along.

Picture195.jpg

Picture217.jpg

Picture221.jpg

Picture223.jpg

I had a hard time deciding on the color. I wanted olive and then blue.....
The old 33x12.5's were sold and some stock rims with 34x10.5 Swampers were installed with factory hubcaps

Picture247.jpg

Picture246.jpg

Picture242.jpg

Last edited:
Finally picked a final color. There was a thread on spring green and nebula 40's on here and I fell in love. My color ended up somewhere in between the 2 but I am happy. I got the truck running. The PO had dropped the distributor in 180 out! Tuned up. Replaced fluids. Replaced electric fuel pump with a mechanical. Installed new rear shackles to level the truck out. I still have a few small things to finish up but she is now running good.

Picture263.jpg

Picture267.jpg

Picture266.jpg

:beer: To the board for all their help. Thanks to everyone who helped me get it up and running and to all the UC members that I have swapped parts with and gotten advice from. :D

All the work was done over a 2-3 month period.

Last edited:
That is a really nice looking rig!!

Did you paint it yourself? Did you do the body work as well?

A beaut addition to your fleet.

And thanks for sharing all the lovely photos :beer:

That is a really nice looking rig!!

Did you paint it yourself? Did you do the body work as well?

All the paint and body done in the yard. It looks good from 10 feet which was the goal. I came in under my budget...Thanks to some trading, selling and swapping I am right at $3000 including the vehicle.

Planning on starting the rear bumper and front bumper coming next week hopefully. I am also planning on ordering the front stinger and hood guard from MetalTech this week.

Lookin good man. It was fun seeing that 40 wheel with us stock at tellico last year; it will be even more fun next time around. Youve made quick work of it and it looks great. Is that nebula rolled on as well?

Lookin good man. It was fun seeing that 40 wheel with us stock at tellico last year; it will be even more fun next time around. Youve made quick work of it and it looks great. Is that nebula rolled on as well?

The color is actually rustoleam seafoam green. It is rolled on and sprayed in spots where the rolling was not really practical. It is an off the shelf color for the spray paint and the rolled was ACE matched.

Nice going !!

My '72 is the same color as when you bought yours. Maaco proudly presents....Smurf-turd blue....
Do you have the color # for your new paint?

Nice going !!

My '72 is the same color as when you bought yours. Maaco proudly presents....Smurf-turd blue....
Do you have the color # for your new paint?

Rustoleam Seafoam green. I sprayed a white piece of cardboard and took it to ACE and they matched it up and mixed their Rust-Stop paint.

Sorry, the #12 wasn't showing when I posted.
In a couple of the pics it looks like a really light blue which is what I thought it was.

I knew a guy that had a light green one LONG time ago. Never seen another one that same color.

SWEET !! Nice height too.

Sorry, the #12 wasn't showing when I posted.
In a couple of the pics it looks like a really light blue which is what I thought it was.

I knew a guy that had a light green one LONG time ago. Never seen another one that same color.

SWEET !! Nice height too.

It was a really light blue. I changed my mind on the color twice. It was going to be olive and then light blue. The light blue looked really good but everyone thought it was NC Tarheel blue which would not work at all for me. :doh:.

Here are a few more from our first LowCountry Cruiser meeting. Thanks to MtPCruiser for the very nice pictures. They are a lot better than what I can take with my $150 digital camera. My 40 looks like a baby next to the huge 80

myfj402meeting.jpg

myfj401meeting.jpg

Last edited:
As the previous owner...I am very happy with it being at its new home. It got put on some steroids, had a pedicure, and a very nice facelift!

Looking great man...:clap: Glad its being taking care of like it should be, and like I could not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom