Scout II power steering 69/40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
part II from this thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/202907-modded-fliped-rear-60-springs-front-rear.html

this is the addition of a scout II box, saginaw pump and misc. parts from a 60 column,some scout steering bits and the original 69/40 column.

first pic are all or most of the column parts
top tube is the 40 column that has been cut off of the original gear box.
the next tube down is the lower part of the 60 column.
40 steering rod (i dought if i'll use any of this rod)
scout II rag joint and coupler (to mount to the box)
then the 60 series column shafts.

i'm using the 60 column shafts because i want the 60 steering wheel. it's about 2" less in diameter than the stock trucker 40 wheel ;)
the 60 steering wheel does not fit onto the 40 column splines, otherwise i'd modify the 40 shaft.

i'll cut the coupler off the upper 60 shaft and sleeve the upper and lower 60 shafts together.

the bottom of the 60 column tube has been removed from the smaller tube and i'll fit and weld it to the stock 40 housing tube.

then i'll make a rod/sleeve to join the 60 coupler coming from the column to the scout rag joint.

i've also mounted the scout box to a piece of 3/4" thick plate that will be welded to the outside of the fram (per mark w's write up)
this keeps from having to move the radiator over to the right to mount the box.

this is the start and will update when i can.

:hmm:
DSC02442.JPG
DSC02447.JPG
DSC02444.JPG

couple more

anyone have the rubber boot that holds the 69/40 column at the firewall?
mine came apart :frown:
DSC02446.JPG
DSC02448.JPG

What tie rods are you going to run?

What tie rods are you going to run?

i'll have a 60 tre on the right side, not sure yet about the one at the pitman arm.
i have a waggoneer pitman arm so i think i have to do some searching.

Thats kinda why I asked.The chevy 1 ton fits the waggy arm.

Mine in still in the project stage( my fj40), but I just got some weld in bungs and made my rods.

I'll be runnin 1 tons threw the whole setup.Figured I'd throw that in there.Scout box, ram assist

okie dokie, how bout an update?

well i cut the u-joint thingie off the upper 60 shaft.(see part laying on the bench)
cut to length a 40 series steering rod and drilled it out a bit at both ends using a 3/4" drill bit.
slid each of the 60 shafts in and welded.
also had to tach weld the lower part of the 60 shaft because it is a collapsable shaft and it kept moving on me when i tapped it into the column.
everything looks good at this point, i'll still be able to use the stock 40 turn singnal switch with a smaller steering wheel. ;)
as for the boot at the firewall that was destroyed when i took the column out, i ordered a 1/4" piece of sheet rubber from Mc Master Car to make a new boot. i'll see how well this holds the column in place at the firewall. i may have to make a bracket to help hold it in place.

more to come later this weekend (hopefully) on connecting the column to the box ;)
DSC02449.JPG
DSC02450.JPG
DSC02452.JPG

The column needs to be supported in 2 places, at the top (dashboard) and the bottom (firewall). The rubber gasket is not real support. Also, something needs to locate the steering column so that it cannot slide in or out. Try making a plate out of 16Ga. that is the shape of the outside of the metal firewall gasket holder piece (first pic, post #2) and has an elliptical hole in it for the column tube. Once everything is positioned in the truck, tack the column tube where it goes through the firewall plate, then bring it back out and weld it for real.

You might make a gasket piece using the 1/4" rubber sheet to go between new lower column plate & firewall. I usually just use black RTV, but real gasket rubber might be better.

Here's a crappy pic of a '65 column tube cut off w/ the home brew plate welded on the end. And the stock '65 steering shaft w/ an FJ60 U-joint & slip yoke welded on the end.
dsc05003s.jpg

The column needs to be supported in 2 places, at the top (dashboard) and the bottom (firewall). The rubber gasket is not real support. Also, something needs to locate the steering column so that it cannot slide in or out. Try making a plate out of 16Ga. that is the shape of the outside of the metal firewall gasket holder piece (first pic, post #2) and has an elliptical hole in it for the column tube. Once everything is positioned in the truck, tack the column tube where it goes through the firewall plate, then bring it back out and weld it for real.

You might make a gasket piece using the 1/4" rubber sheet to go between new lower column plate & firewall. I usually just use black RTV, but real gasket rubber might be better.

Here's a crappy pic of a '65 column tube cut off w/ the home brew plate welded on the end. And the stock '65 steering shaft w/ an FJ60 U-joint & slip yoke welded on the end.

excellent!!
i've been trying to think of a way to support the column at the firewall, you nailed it for me.
i'll have to install the column from the engine side anyway so the support plate will be perfect!

thanks jim!!

jim :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom