knuckle bearing cap???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time with a front end rebuild so I've been going slow and reading and searching a lot ( this sight has been incredibly helpful ) but have run into a puzzle. The front end is all torn down and I have been cleaning up greasy parts for repainting before I start the rebuild. After cleaning up my knuckle bearing caps I discovered that the passenger side was different. The centering dowel is offset. I don't know which way it was when I took it off. So now I'm stuck. What was it on there for and should I keep it? Or should I order a standard replacement.

Anyone ever see this before? Thanks, Slow Poke
wtf2.jpg
wtf1.jpg
wtf.jpg

Neat, never seen one of dem before.

Personaly, I would get a stock one (proabbly find one for super cheap) reassemble your front axle with it and see how far the camber is off..

If it is, then put the piece back in.

Honestly I cannot see any way of it being that far off without having a bent housing..

That is a camber plate. Have not seen one in years. It is a special order at alignment shops. check for knuckle alignment. level the axle Use a straight bar that fits in the trunion holes (through both of them snugly) then place a angle finder on the bar parallel to the axle . Wright down the #. next do the same to the other side. determine the difffrence and that will tell you to use the pos or neg side of the camber block. I think that is a brief way to tell you which way to go.

Ok, I think I understand. I was planning on getting one of those angle finders to check my castor angle anyway. Just another use for it I guess. Thanks guys for solving my mystery!

Slow Poke

That is compensating for something pretty bad, I suspect a bent housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom