OEM Drop down tailgate- need template (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to get the measurements for the hinge and clasp holes for the OEM tailgate so I can put in the proper backing for the factory latches and hinges.
I have the inner and outer panels fabbed up and need to get the holes in the right spots.
I originally was just going to make a bolt in panel but now can't help but take it to the next level. A set of beat fold out doors were used for construction.
If someone could get me an exact measurement of all the holes or even rub a real tailgate with a pencil on some vellum or tracing paper I would pay for the postage. TIA

Kief,

This thread is worthless without pics! :) I've got the barn doors off that '66 that I've been eyeballing for a drop tailgate for my '75; been tossing around a few ideas re. welding the OEM doors together and putting a real weight-supporting frame inside that.

Did you use OEM doors or start from scratch?

As for the mount points, Ehsan Kiani comes to mind as a good source of info...

OK, I will get a pic. I used OEM doors. With your JEDI welding skills it wouldn't be too hard. When I finish mine I will give you all the tips.

pics

Here are some pics.... no claims by me to be a super-fab-teck-welder. Just havin' fun learning.
IMGsmltlgt0001.jpg
IMGsmltlgt0002.jpg
IMGsmltlgt0003.jpg

The reason I asked is that I have two complete tailgates one mounted on tub with no rust.One with some rust and hinges

thanks

Don't know if this will help but here is a pic of a drop gate with hinges so you can get an idea of hinge spacing.

I found an angle shot, that straight on shot is good. I still need an exact measurement or a template would be ideal as I need the latch location too. There is a guy locally that has a factory soft top. I might try to get in touch with him again after he gets back from driving water truch for the CA fires. Any one have a pic of how the chain mounts to the back and to the tub.. I will see what I can find on SOR.

huh?

dude keif I have one too man. It's just sitting in my garage.

If you want to hook me up with a complete tail gate that would even be better...

I planned on moving the license plate to the right side as my 40 is a 75.

I was looking at cannibalizing the handle & latching mechanism from a minitruck & fitting it to a box-tubing frame with the welded-together barn doors laid over that; the "non-stamped" section in the middle is a bit wider than the stock drop-down, so I was hoping that'd work with the minitruck handle.

But Coolerman's setup looks so clean...man, now i want a factory one! :D

I had originally planned to make a nifty tailgate, less the center raised part and was going to have the center section flat but it wasn't worth all the extra fab work just to cover it up with a spare and a license plate.
I flattened out the overlapping/ longer door portion and used that to make up for being short vs. using a filler piece. It would have been much easier to use a flat piece for a backer behind the seam and probably stronger. I thought about building some type of frame to incorporate hinges, latch and use the stock holes- keep it simple.
emtee.... I did a search and someone did some type of handle like you are talking about on flat steel, I like it but not crazy about the flat/ shaved look on a 40.

CruisinMT... I pm'd you and haven't heard back on the carb or otherwise.. Thanks, Kief.

But Coolerman's setup looks so clean...man, now i want a factory one! :D

Only the last pic is of my truck, the rest were pilfered from various sources! I'm not that far along yet. :D

That is all OEM hardware for the drop down tail gate. Eshan does make all replacement hardware plus it can still be found out there.

I was fortunate to have all the original tail gate parts with my truck and will be using them!

if you have a tailgate with the hardware and you need some Santa money pm me with a price and freight to 39218.

Damn that rhymed.

Kief,

Was that here on Mud? That project's in line behind several others, but I'm curious to see how someone else went about that...

So are you getting that yellow 40 back on the road? I never made it down to McGrew... :frown:

Later!

Only the last pic is of my truck, the rest were pilfered from various sources! I'm not that far along yet. :D

That is all OEM hardware for the drop down tail gate. Eshan does make all replacement hardware plus it can still be found out there.

I was fortunate to have all the original tail gate parts with my truck and will be using them!

Ah, OK. Still, jealous of the OEM setup! I've spent the last two summers having to strap everything down in the back of my '75...:frown:

Kief,

Was that here on Mud? That project's in line behind several others, but I'm curious to see how someone else went about that...

So are you getting that yellow 40 back on the road? I never made it down to McGrew... :frown:

Later!

yes that was here, will search it out again and link if I can

Trying to get the 75 on the road... put some other wheels and tires on, no wobble. Drives great, front spring is bent. have stock or lift springs to install. Majority of work is body... hard not to want to do a new paint job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom