My 1st post-New 76 and questions (of course) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got me a 76 FJ40 off of Ebay Sunday and drove it the 90 miles home while wobbling all over the road. It was an adventure.
It's got a Chevy 283 swapped in that seems to rock basically, and then an AA to mate it to the stock drivetrain. It definitely needs some work and I'm making a list.

While driving home I knew it had play in the steering and pulled left when braking. Come to find out the front right Rotor was COMPLETELY worn out to the point where I can push through it, the metal was so thin. And the caliper pistons and pads are completely shot.

One engine mount has a long bolt through it with no nut on the end.

Along with the play in the steering, the PO had said he'd replaced some of the tie rod ends and would look for the new parts that he hadn't yet installed.

I seem to gather that the front disc brakes are not factory? Is that correct? How do I then determine what replacement parts I need? Would it be possible to rebuild the caliper or would I be better off buying a replacement?

And what's the best way to determine the cause of the steering play?

If you can help me out with those two questions, I promise I won't ask any more for at least a month..err a week.....okay at least till tomorrow. Yeah, tomorrow.

I'll get some pics up when the wife gets home with the camera. :cheers:

First, Congrats! You have a very good year. Pssst..... Check your bezel before you post pics... It will save you a lot of heartache and fines from the bezel police... They are ruthless. :beer:

I seem to gather that the front disc brakes are not factory? Is that correct? How do I then determine what replacement parts I need? Would it be possible to rebuild the caliper or would I be better off buying a replacement?

And what's the best way to determine the cause of the steering play?

If you can help me out with those two questions, I promise I won't ask any more for at least a month..err a week.....okay at least till tomorrow. Yeah, tomorrow.

I'll get some pics up when the wife gets home with the camera. :cheers:

I believe disk brakes were first installed beginning 9/75...so they are probably original to your truck unless a PO put some other stuff on it at some time.

As for the steering do a search...lots of info and loose steering is a common condition. Things to check first are ...center arm pivot, tie rod ends, drag link, steering box...it has some adjustment...and the rag joint. Steering has some slop to it, as it's a 50's ( maybe before that!!!!) design and a little is normal.

Since you have a modified truck, you might just as well consider a power steering conversion, as it might be more cost effective than replacing a lot of stock components and you will probably be happier in the end.

AND WELCOME !!! Lots of good info here....learn to use the search function...it will save you much time and grief. :cheers:
a

Welcome:flipoff2:

Congratulations on you new acquisition…

If you need some local support, or even wanting to look at another 40 for ideas, etc., give me a PM. Sounds like you have a "couple" of nights of work ahead of you.

I’m in Citrus Springs, and my son lives in Inverness, and we both have 40’s and do our own wrenching on them.

Jerry D.

Okay, so at the top is the nasty looking rotor.
The third picture of the dash shows the new ignition switch they put in with the engine swap. It's now a Push Button Start, pretty snazzy huh? :bounce2:
I just put the ambulance doors back on this afternoon. I was shocked how easily 30 yo doors bolted up. They've got some pretty significant rust at the bottoms but not much you can do about that.
The last three pictures are the caliper, the engine mount bolt that's holding on by a thread (literally) and the V8. If you look close you can see the little aluminum bow tie they riveted to the valve covers. Pretty gay.

What do you think about the caliper? Get a brand new one? I haven't yet checked out the drivers side, but I think it's gotta be in better shape than this one.

First, Congrats! You have a very good year. Pssst..... Check your bezel before you post pics... It will save you a lot of heartache and fines from the bezel police... They are ruthless. :beer:

That's cool if the bezel cops show up. As long as they tell me what it is... oh, and right back at ya :flipoff2:

You will find out what a bezel is when the cops slam you up against that Ford Cop car!!!

Looks like you will be having a lot of FUN. Welcome to the club

Okay, so at the top is the nasty looking rotor.
What do you think about the caliper? Get a brand new one? I haven't yet checked out the drivers side, but I think it's gotta be in better shape than this one.

I'd say you have a brake job in your future! I've never seen a rotor that worn out in my 45 years of driving!!! No wonder it pulled left .:doh: New rotors are available from Toyota--contact CruiserDan. Get OEM and any other parts you might need and fix the brakes before you move it again....for your safety and the rest of the world.

Ignition switch, locks, ets. are available if you don't like the Rube job the PO did to it. You have some significant work to look fwd to and if you aren't a very good mechanic, you will be when you're done. Other wise, it doesn't look to bad...fix the gross stuff and you'll have a good 40.:cheers:

First,wellcome.
Your rotor is worn so bad one side of it is completely gone, a sure sign of neglect. I would do more checKing of everything if I were you. I would replace both rotors and both calipers. Also replace any worn out steering componant.
Brakes and steering= safty.
Everything elso is for movement.
This not to discourage you, Look at your wiring too.
Other than that she looks good. Have fun and good luck.
Vic

First,wellcome.
Your rotor is worn so bad one side of it is completely gone, a sure sign of neglect. I would do more checKing of everything if I were you. I would replace both rotors and both calipers. Also replace any worn out steering componant.
Brakes and steering= safty.
Everything elso is for movement.
This not to discourage you, Look at your wiring too.
Other than that she looks good. Have fun and good luck.
Vic

Not discouraging at all. I'm having a blast checking things out. Next time I buy a car unseen, I'll borrow a trailer to haul it home...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom