Carburetor Decision - HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.brushyhill.com
I've been having problems with the carb on my '75 FJ40 - a GM Rochester 2-Jet installed by the PO - so I pulled it out to have it rebuilt. But now I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better buying a new carb? Something like a Weber 38mm DGES?

Can I get some advice on which option would be better- Keeping and rebuilding the Rochester 2-Jet or buying a new Weber 28mm DGES? Is there a significant difference performance or mileage-wise between the two on a 2F engine?

Can I get some suggestions on where I can get a Weber for a good price? I found this Weber 38 mm carb on Ebay- would it work?

Thanks, in advance, y'all!

Nick

If its a 2f in there, go OEM carb peroid. get a core off of ebay and get it rebuilt.

Jim C. or Mark on this board..

Throw the Rochester 2BBL in the weeds and throw rocks at it.

Best carb for that engine is am Asian (factory carb... '75 or later is what you want...)

Weber 38/38 is a good carb too.

Mark...

My vote would be to rebuild the rochester since you already have it or go back to original.......that being said I had rochester and worked Ok except I had that dieseling effect after shuttin off the engine. But if you are in the market in getting I would go with a factory set up.

I second (or third or quadrouple) the post about getting a factory carb and rebuilding it. Find em cheap at a junk yard or look on mud for a 2F carb. Itll do you better.
:grinpimp:

Or would I be better of getting an Aisan Carb - which one would be best for a '75 FJ40? How much are they and where would I be able to get the best price from?

Is "Aisan" the same as Toyota? I know it's an ignorant "newbie" question, but that's what I am and if I don't ask, I'll never know.:eek:

Nick

I'll check into Ebay and the classified section on here. What do I search for on Ebay- "Toyota Land Cruiser Carburetor?" or is there a specific name for the carb I should get?

Nick

Do several searches like fj40 or fj55 also the 4x4 pirate board may have it. JimC or Mark are on here and may have one ready to be shipped out. I've have delt with Jim before.....and has always been very helpful. 75-79 are good years in my opinion. The newer you go the more emisions stuff they tend to have.

While you're doing the dollar count, keep in mind that switching carbs also means switching air cleaners and prolly linkage as well.

I've got a Weber and a modified 2F air cleaner that I could sell you for quite a bit less than it would take to purchase and have an Aisan professionally rebuilt. Of course, those parts were pulled from a rig whose owner saw the light and went back to stock a couple of years ago.

Yeah I'd like to sell the Weber, but stock really is best.

OK, I found a place in Florida that has an rremanufactured Aisan TOY600 carburetor for $195 plus $20 core charge which I think is a pretty darn good deal. I asked about their rebuilding process and they completely disassemble (including any pressed-in parts) the carbs down to individual parts, everything is solvent cleaned and then ultra-sonic cleaned; everything is then polished and parts that need it are re-plated before the carb is re-assembled with all new seals and bushings.

What do y'all think?

The Aisan TOY600 carb is a manual choke carb (which was stock on my '75), but I'm leaning towards wanting an electric choke for convenience. Two questions:

1. Is there any reason why a manual choke would be better than an electric choke?

2. What year did LCs start coming with the electric choke and will one of the carbs from those years go onto my '75 2F without any adapters or changes required- a straight forward swap?

Thanks Y'all!

Nick

OK, I found a place in Florida that has an rremanufactured Aisan TOY600 carburetor for $195 plus $20 core charge which I think is a pretty darn good deal.

If your going this route, I would ask about their warranty in case their ppl missed something.
I had my '76 Aisan rebuilt by Mark's Offroad and it's been running like a champ ever since. Jim Chenoweth also does good work from what I hear. Both guys are MUD members.

The manual choke gives you more control.. really superior in colder climates..No Asian carbs have electric chokes to my knowledge.. Any rebuilt component is only as good as the pearson's personality whom did the rebuild.. that being said ..if your going the stock path? just get a good core and let one of the major rebuilder players on this board perform the task.. I guarantee they're in the know more than any mass reproducer..I tend to switch back and forth between Asian and Weber.. both work well for me..from my stand point, the cable operated systems can prove to be unreliable if not installed correctly.....but on the other hand I know a few Holly and Rochester users that are happy also...so, to each his own.. it'll be what you make of it..........

I do NOT understand the posts in this thread. I have had 3 stock carbs on both F & 2 F engines over the years, and none of them hold a candle to the Holley 350 two barrel I have been using for the last 7 years.

Those of you touting the stock carbs try going from 2500 to 10000 ft into the mountians, and see how much power you have at anywhere above about 6000 ft.

I pass the emissions test every year without much problem. However, the gas mileage is a little less, and you must modify the float spring in order to not flood out in rough terrain.

Base your opinion on dozens of rigs and carbs, built, tuned and tweaked by guys who really know their stuff. Then you'll see why those of use who really know these rigs and who build and maintain lots of them, feel the way we do about Holleys and Rochesters.

Mark...

I really appreciate the advice and I would like nothing more than to have Jim C rebuild a core for me but I haven't heard back from him yet and I've yet to find a core to get rebuilt, yet. I NEED to have a carb to put in at the end of next week because I need my cruiser to get some work done on the ranch next weekend. Unless I can find a core and Jim C can get it back to me in time, I'm going to have to take a leap and buy one from those guys in Florida and hope it works. I guess, worst-case scenario: It doesn't work, I don't get any work done on the ranch next weekend and i have to get Jim C to rebuild the core I will THEN have!
The place I've been talking to, though, IS a mass producer but they've been doing it for a long time (since the 50s) and they've been specializing in Toyota carburetors since the 1980's. I know a couple of people that have bought carbs from them for their Toyota pickups and they've all been really pleased with the carbs they got. So, I don't think it's too much of a leap of faith. That said, though, I'd still rather get one from Jim C if I can. We'll see.

I really appreciate the advice and I would like nothing more than to have Jim C rebuild a core for me but I haven't heard back from him yet and I've yet to find a core to get rebuilt, yet. I NEED to have a carb to put in at the end of next week because I need my cruiser to get some work done on the ranch next weekend. Unless I can find a core and Jim C can get it back to me in time, I'm going to have to take a leap and buy one from those guys in Florida and hope it works. I guess, worst-case scenario: It doesn't work, I don't get any work done on the ranch next weekend and i have to get Jim C to rebuild the core I will THEN have!
The place I've been talking to, though, IS a mass producer but they've been doing it for a long time (since the 50s) and they've been specializing in Toyota carburetors since the 1980's. I know a couple of people that have bought carbs from them for their Toyota pickups and they've all been really pleased with the carbs they got. So, I don't think it's too much of a leap of faith. That said, though, I'd still rather get one from Jim C if I can. We'll see.

If your in a big ass hurry? grasp what ever you can and run with it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom