Rear Diff Lock on LX470????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The '99 LX470 I just agreed to buy does NOT have a rear diff lock - the hole for the switch is covered with the empty plate, yet there are no options for this year save the moonroof. Do LX470 not have rear diff locks?

Last edited:
No LX470 in the U.S. came with factory Front/Rear differential locks. However, they did come with Limited Slip Differentials in the rear. If you need the diff locks, go with ARB.

my 1999 Canadian LX470 has a rear diff lock, that was one of reasons why I bought it.

The ARB locker replaces the LSD carrier. The ARB is an open differential.

Ok, that is what I was thinking. Maybe someone would rather have the LSD and will sell you their locker from a 98-99 LC and take the LSD for a partial trade?

Well it certainly is POSSIBLE:D

EOS said:
my 1999 Canadian LX470 has a rear diff lock, that was one of reasons why I bought it.

Where's the button located in your LX?

Don't trade for a 98-99 factory locker. Trade for an ARB, they are stronger I believe.

I'd like to go locked one day but I'll wait and lock both FR/RR at the same time; till then the LSD is definitely more than adequate. I enjoy LSD engaging in without me having to tell it to do so like in my Taco with factory locker. One day, locked FR/RR will happen though, even if I don't currently "really" need it. :)

I thought 98,99 100's had factory rear locker and 2000+ has traction control but no locker offered?

98 99 Land Cruiser had Optional rear locker
98 99 LX470 had Standard LSD
Both LC and LX 2000+ have traction control, no locker available.

tabraha said:
Where's the button located in your LX?
The rear diff lock switch on my 99 LX is on the left side of the instrument panel. Its a round dial, that says "Rear Diff Lock".

Heres the Rear Diff lock panel on my 99 LX470

I read that they didnt put the Rear diff lock in the 2000 LX470 after traction control was introduced...
IMG_4788.JPG

That is the ONLY LX on the board with that option! Extremely rare is an understatement. It's exactly like the placement for the LC which is not a shock.

Are you sure you have an LX ( : Post a pic of the interior for us.

Thanks

its an LX, it has the folding mirror switch and the power tilt/telescope on the colume

Jukelemon said:
Are you sure you have an LX ( : Post a pic of the interior for us.

Thanks

Its probably a Canadian LX... all Land Cruisers sold in Canada have diff locks.

Edit: Forgot I was using the search... this is an old thread.

Last edited:
Anybody have a 98-99 LX with the rear differential lock? I'm looking for a picture of the instrument cluster with the rear diff lock light activated. As you know, the LC and LX have different instrument clusters.

Anybody have a 98-99 LX with the rear differential lock? I'm looking for a picture of the instrument cluster with the rear diff lock light activated. As you know, the LC and LX have different instrument clusters.

Different countries have different version and option mixes. I have AHC, power tilt/telescoping steering column, as well as RDL, and it is an LC. I don't know if the cluster is the same as your LC or your LX one:
instrument cluster
RDL button

Thanks Dandon. The cluster is definitely different but the diff indicator lights might be in the same spot. There might even be an indicator for the front diff lock. I removed my cluster but couldn't make out the different lights nor does my electrical diagram indicate what's "not" there.

If your cluster is still out, stick a torch behind the cluster holes and see what lights up on the front. If it is not out, you can use a strong torch fro the front to make out what is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom