if you had a choice... AHC or no? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you own an AHC truck and could go back in time and have the choice between identical vehicles except one had AHC and the other didn't, which would you choose and why?

I have my choice. Application will be mostly-stock road driven business vehicle with the occasional hunting or fishing trip. Price-wise, the Non-AHC is a little cheaper, but not by much at all. Not my favorite color - about 3rd down the list. The AHC truck is fav color, and a couple $K more. I would pay the difference for the color and 10K fewer miles, but I've heard enough AHC horror stories that I'm weary of them all-together when considering an 80+K mile 4+Yr Old truck.

Last edited:
what do you want to do with it? i think that matters a lot in the decision.

If you had an AHC truck that could go back in time and you did go back in time, but when you did chose a non-AHC truck instead... did any of this really happen?

Non-AHC

Why?

I don't like it, it's to complicated, if something goes wrong you are in neck deep in repair costs, or you are trying to convert everything to a standard suspension (might as well get the most reliable option first time around). For me, I would never want AHC in my 100, it's just money waiting to be wasted on a sensor that got water in it (ontop of the added cost to buy one with). And to add, I don't like how it constantly adjusts when you stop, I find my Bilstiens and 866's ride better than a AHC 100 on the highway.

mall cruiser under 120k, ahc in a heartbeat. older trial rig, standard suspension. AHC is really smooth on the road, esp for a rig of that weight, even having stiff mt sidewalls. But in the real world, it cant support the weight of a fully built rig long term. and, of course, the maintenance/ replacement price is its worst attribute. My lx will go to a traditional suspension once a globe craps out. But its ok for now, mine isnt that heavy.

Hmmm, so are the failures predominantly on the heavier trail rigs that also see more suspension abuse?

There is a stock LX here in town that looks like a crappy low-rider with chopped springs. I'm assuming that it's because his AHC has given up the ghost and he's not going to fix it, but doesn't realize he can just add OEM LC springs as an alternate.

I've searched, and it looks like a mix of age/use/timeframe on AHC issues....

Consider the source of where you're getting the info and take some of it with a grain of salt. Any forum is a place where DIYers congregate. They don't like any thing complicated or with a 1% more chance of failure. They tend to be more vocal. They often don't evenly discuss the pro's and con's.

That said I'd buy AHC again. I like the ride and it's pretty well recognized in the published world as a better overall ride than LC (can anyone even show a publication stating otherwise?). I'm newer but believe a properly cared for AHC system shouldn't be much more or less problematic. Certainly has more cost to maintain but it's reasonable, unless you're buying a system already bad or you think that maintenance every 100k is a big deal.

Most important things to consider would be what you're using the Hundie for and the budget you have for purchase and maintenance.

I've searched, and it looks like a mix of age/use/timeframe on AHC issues....

I'd guess that your pretty spot on and that's probably what drives most Mudders crazy. Thusly the tendency to avoid AHC.

This LX is my first Hundie and I'm diving right into AHC maintenance. The picture is getting clearer and I don't see it as a thing to avoid.

In your case it helps to have more trucks available to buy. Adding the LX model to your list of possible purchases probably doubles the amount of available rigs to buy. You could argue that will help you get a more desired or cheaper truck with so many more available to you.

Factor that in to the price. Factor that most non-ahc trucks need shocks every 75k to keep ride quality reasonable.

AHC for me

As you can see I am in Victoria , Australia and have a 2004 LX470 with 200,000 kilometers. When driving on some roads I start to have doubts about whether my AHC is working correctly, but this is quickly dispelled when I drive on the same road in a vehicle with conventional suspension, even a car and then realise just how smooth the LX ride is.
I read a lot on this forum about the failure of the AHC components and one of the last posts about off road use and heavy vehicles got me thinking.
I have not changed the AHC fluid in my suspension and was wordering if there may be a connection between some of the following and failures:
  1. Heavy vehicle and off road use
  2. Very regular use of the manual raising and lowering of the vehicle for ease of access etc.
  3. Towing heavy loads near the maximun ball weight without any form of suplementary assistance - eg Air bags in coils
  4. Changing the fluid, which allows the diaphram in the spheres to possibly distort from its normal compressed position.
I may be totally wrong in my thinking but would be interested to hear from people who may have had this happpen as a result of any of the above.

Most important things to consider would be what you're using the Hundie for and the budget you have for purchase and maintenance.

i agree. . . thats what i said:)

yet, for a a 300k truck ahc isnt for you. i have 175k on ticker right now and am still happy with it. knock on wood. knock on wood.

Loud, are you still running ahc? if so, did you move your sensors for lift?

Last edited:
I just took mine back to stock (AHC adjustments for lift and tires was all I did) and realized how sweet it is. Performance is back and AHC actually works again like it's supposed too. That being said, the wife is getting it due to the new arrival......Now it's an official Mall Cruiser.

My AHC worked flawlessly unless I was jacking with it.

I just took mine back to stock (AHC adjustments for lift and tires was all I did) and realized how sweet it is. Performance is back and AHC actually works again like it's supposed too. That being said, the wife is getting it due to the new arrival......Now it's an official Mall Cruiser.

That's exactly what I try to tell people but nope, must be wrong. :meh:

IF mine worked flawlessly now that I added heavy ass front and rear bumpers stuffed with a 12k lb winch........yes.

since that wont happen with all that weight and more to come..

NOPE! Actually got a full Ironman suspension sitting in living room waiting to install in next 30-60 days when I get a couple days free.

Non-AHC

Why?

I don't like it, it's to complicated, if something goes wrong you are in neck deep in repair costs, or you are trying to convert everything to a standard suspension (might as well get the most reliable option first time around). For me, I would never want AHC in my 100, it's just money waiting to be wasted on a sensor that got water in it (ontop of the added cost to buy one with). And to add, I don't like how it constantly adjusts when you stop, I find my Bilstiens and 866's ride better than a AHC 100 on the highway.

+1
I almost bought a 2001 LX470 with HC. Come to find out it needed all new aclimators.

It will not be the deal killer for me, I had driven both b4, if it is your favorite color etc. go for it. I like it without Ahc lol, b/c it is more sure and stable somehow, stock to stock.

Awesome info so far.

What color is your truck? Is that TCM?

Was AHC "standard" for 2006/07 or was it still optional at that point? I'm getting conflicting info, but I've seen several UZJ's listed as 2006 model year that clearly did NOT have AHC.

Im pretty sure on the LC it was optional. I just bought a 99 LX with 110k and it works great. Raises quick and really like the sport comfort knob. Also if it goes out its not like the car is undrivable either, it would just sink to low and be bumpy. That would of course suck butat least it would still go.

I believe changing out the fluid every 60k, or is it 30??, helps keep them alive for a while. Remember it wouldnt be very TLCish to put on a system thats gonna crap out in 5 years...of course like loud hinted at its not like them to put such a complicated system in.

To answer your question, id take it if thats your color choice. A LOT cheaper to do OME than repaint a truck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom