Tranny just crapped the bed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
45 degrees outside, driving about 35-40 mph and felt like it dropped into neutral. Grinds when I try to put it in other gears. Won't hold in park; rolls. Waiting on aaa. Anyone have a tranny shop recommendation in charleston, sc? Truck is a 2000 with 158k.

Damn man, thats crappy. Do you have any more info? Do you tow alot? Any mods? Previous signs of slipping or any indication it was about to go?

My '00 has 135K and as of right now, the tranny is excellent. Threads like these make me worry a little though, lol.

No info on tranny shops unfortunately, as I'm about 1700 miles away from you. :frown:

I tow an 18 foot boat maybe 20 times a year. No mods; just 285 bfg's. No warning. I bought the truck with 100k. No idea of previous history. All I've ever had done was the alternator and one set of pads.

Transfer case shifted into neutral?

No. Not the diff lock either

dammit, not another. this makes me nervous... curse of the 2000s

The parking pawl should lock the output shaft to the housing, shouldn't matter if all the rest is shrapnel, this is odd, makes me suspect something downstream and less expensive.

I tow an 18 foot boat maybe 20 times a year. No mods; just 285 bfg's. No warning. I bought the truck with 100k. No idea of previous history. All I've ever had done was the alternator and one set of pads.

So...you bought it with 100K and you've never changed the trans fluid? Or the diff/t-case fluid? Or any real preventative maintenance for that matter?

:doh:

..or am I just reading that wrong?

Drive plate would have those symptoms, cheap and easy fix. Locking the center differential would allow you to drive home. ~$60 part and an hour with hand tools would fix it.
1001988dq0.jpg

Last edited:
If it doesn't hold in park, you should check, maybe it's something with the transfer case thinking it's in neutral or something...

Since sac hasn't posted back, he's probably given up control of the situation to people who make money off situations like his. If you still have the truck, try locking the center diff and driving it, that will tell if it's a drive plate. Alternatively, pull the center caps and domed dust caps off the front wheels and see if the splined shaft you see turns within the hub when you put it in gear. It shouldn't turn separately, it should be engaged in the splined drive plate at the outside of the hub. That drive plate is designed to shear to protect the rest of the drivetrain, and it is cheap and easy to fix with no special tools or skills.

That's exactly what happened to my 2000, the drive plate stripped, grease in hub/bearings was dried up and probably never serviced causing this to happen. Would drive if center diff lock was locked.

I've not sheared a drive plate myself, but I'd imagine all those broken off metal teeth should complain a bit. It's just a hunch, but I still suspect something outside the transmission based on the parking pawl not working. Maybe the transfer case was dry and finally broke, or a diff. My brother's in-law had an 80 with 300k on it, the front diff started making noise, it was bone dry. Added fluid and had no more problems. I think he'd have heard some complaining from a dry gearbox, and driveplate is more common, so I'm guessing that based on what I know so far.

Last edited:
I had it towed to a place called Lex Tech. It's a small place that just works on Toyotas and Lexuses. Guy had a real nice 40 in the shop, as well as a lifted 80 and either 60 or 62, don't remember. They also had a 55 in there and an LX he had just done the exhaust manifolds on. Suffice it to say, this guy seems to know cruisers. His initial thought was that the shaft that goes into the tranny had snapped inside the housing,'but hes going to call me after he looks it over today. I called and asked about the drive plate,'and he said the would try that to. No I've never had the transmission flushed before bc I did that on my last truck, and a month later the trans bought the farm. Last time I took it for service, ~30k ago, they checked the diffs and said they were fine, IIRC.

45 degrees outside, driving about 35-40 mph and felt like it dropped into neutral. Grinds when I try to put it in other gears. Won't hold in park; rolls. Waiting on aaa. Anyone have a tranny shop recommendation in charleston, sc? Truck is a 2000 with 158k.

Just wondering were you getting any kind of warning or noise before this happened? I am kinda freaking out right now because my 99 is making a weird noise from the drivetrain. I read on here that the transfer case makes noise when its cold but should stop once its warmed up.

My noise is not going away, even after driving it for an hour. :frown: I went in today and had the front diff, rear diff, and transfer case fluid changed out. Noise is still there, I am wondering if this is heading towards something bad.

Sounds like you're in good hands sac.

What kind of weird noise options? Could be a U-joint in the drive shaft, had those lubed or checked?

Sounds like you're in good hands sac.

What kind of weird noise options? Could be a U-joint in the drive shaft, had those lubed or checked?

All points on the drive shaft were lubed today. Im not sure about the u joint. But about 1000 miles ago new front shafts were put on both sides.

The noise sounds to be almost like a gear on gear mechanical....but not grinding. Just like gears whining while they are turning. The truck still drives really smooth, I cant feel anything. The transmission seems to still be shifting smooth as well.

The one thing that worries me is when I had the transfer case serviced today, they told me there were alot of shavings on the plug. I asked what that meant....and they said it was just more than normal. They also said the fluid looking pretty bad too. :doh::frown:

I had it towed to a place called Lex Tech. It's a small place that just works on Toyotas and Lexuses. Guy had a real nice 40 in the shop, as well as a lifted 80 and either 60 or 62, don't remember. They also had a 55 in there and an LX he had just done the exhaust manifolds on. Suffice it to say, this guy seems to know cruisers. His initial thought was that the shaft that goes into the tranny had snapped inside the housing,'but hes going to call me after he looks it over today. I called and asked about the drive plate,'and he said the would try that to. No I've never had the transmission flushed before bc I did that on my last truck, and a month later the trans bought the farm. Last time I took it for service, ~30k ago, they checked the diffs and said they were fine, IIRC.

LexTech is a great mechanic and guy...he is member of our Lowcountry Land Cruisers...and has a nice 40, a couple 80s....that are his. And only works on Lexus and Toyota vehicles.

He is very good and will fix it right...you were good to chose Glenn rather than one of the dealerships around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom