Towing w/ Slee Rear Bumper?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I know that the Slee rear bumper is NOT rated, more than likely due to the PIA it is to get something approved through the DOT. But my question for all of you is have any of you towed with it? If yes, how much weight. I'm considering towing an FJ40 on a flat bed and wanted to get some feedback before I did so.

Zane

My dad once made his own design one-off of an EZ-Lift hitch system. Just because it's not DOT approved doesn't mean it isn't strong. The guys who design aftermarket parts could be considered engineers, even without a degree (who knows, maybe they DO have an engineering degree). That sort of thing used to happen more often many years ago - men became engineers from experience in the field. I know a mechanical engineer who never went to school- he learned on the job.

I am sure Slees bumper is fine for whatever you are towing, but I am sure he will drop in to tell you his opinion and give a disclaimer. Most of the stuff that is designed by off road companies on this web site is all built over-kill.

Maybe Christo can chime in here....I would like to get one of his rear bumpers and have a Kimberly Kamper that I tow with the 100

We have looked at getting the bumper rated. The problem is cost and no-one can actually tell you how to do it. I can have the bumper tested to SAE standards for a class II or Class III receiver (or whatever we want). The testing lab will then give you a report that the bumper has passed the applicable test, however this in itself is not a rating.

When a supplier rates a receiver, they warrantee that the truck can tow the stated capacity using the receiver as bolted to their vehicle in the factory approved way, for the duration of the life of the truck. Obviously we can not do that.

That is at least how I understood it when I looked into it. That said, the King Kamper is sexy behind the 100
california_06_0072.jpg

And no, this is not an endorsement that you can tow with the bumper.

Christo-

Do you know if you can leave the factory hitch on and install the bumper? My hitch hangs right below the factory bumper, but without looking at it I don't know how it is attached. Seems like the same concept as stuffing the factory bumper in between.

yes, you can run the receiver below the bumper.

Good to know!! I was wondering about being able to tow with your bumper, but now that you say it will fit with the hitch, that's good news!!

We have looked at getting the bumper rated. The problem is cost and no-one can actually tell you how to do it. I can have the bumper tested to SAE standards for a class II or Class III receiver (or whatever we want). The testing lab will then give you a report that the bumper has passed the applicable test, however this in itself is not a rating.

When a supplier rates a receiver, they warrantee that the truck can tow the stated capacity using the receiver as bolted to their vehicle in the factory approved way, for the duration of the life of the truck. Obviously we can not do that.

That is at least how I understood it when I looked into it. That said, the King Kamper is sexy behind the 100.

Very good info! I was wondernig the same thing!

How much the KK weigh?

I didn't do it, but the previous owner of my 100 towed a 40 with my 100 with a Slee rear bumper. I've towed a trailer with probably 4500lbs or so in it. They were cows and I didn't weigh each one. It didn't seem to phase it. I am not worried about towing with it for as much as the 100 can handle.

I didn't do it, but the previous owner of my 100 towed a 40 with my 100 with a Slee rear bumper. I've towed a trailer with probably 4500lbs or so in it. They were cows and I didn't weigh each one. It didn't seem to phase it. I am not worried about towing with it for as much as the 100 can handle.

Great info....thanks!

Zane: FWIW I have towed my AT Horizon from my Slee bumper for the past 18-months without incident over approximately 5,000-6,000 miles with some fairly rough terrain in there too. I estimate our fully loaded AT should weigh in at approximately 2,200-2,400lbs.

I towed a 40 from GA to VA (roughly 600 miles) using a U-Haul trailer with no issues. There are pictures below...keep in mind the 100 series has 5 extra Wheels/Tired in the rear.
40gone.jpg
40gone2.jpg

GLC, next time you tow cows, could you please take some pics if it's an open trailer? Those would have great potential here.... :D

who needs to take the :princess: truck to the store to get milk when you can bring the milk to your house?

For those that tow, what did you come up with for attaching the tow chains to the bumper? I was planning on drilling some holes and bolting some of these up:

127052_lg.jpg

For those that tow, what did you come up with for attaching the tow chains to the bumper? I was planning on drilling some holes and bolting some of these up:

I was planning on wrapping a chain through the rear frame rail on both left and right sides? Good question I will be interested in hearing what others are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom