So Kevin, about those windows... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
:D

What changes would you make to the ones you have now if you can be talked into producing them?

:p Ok, so this is now the window thread. :flipoff2:
I'll post some pictures so that everyone knows what we are talking about.

Spook, I don't like the hardware, the latches are not right for the job and I am not happy with the hinges, they need to be lower profile and the latches need to be a compression style. Thus far I have not found a compression latch that can be opened form the inside and the out side yet.
I am thinking that an electronic access solution might be the way to go, I am definitely going to keep playing with this though, the windows have to be the coolest, most useful thing I have done to the cargo area yet.
Another thing is that the glass is just too plain expensive, over $600 for just the set of glass alone.

One of my favorite pics of the new cargo windows:
IMG_7227.jpg

Kevin you bastard. Do I just need to get direct deposit straight to your account every time I get paid now.

Those safari windows would be INFINITELY useful!!!!

Well I just did 4000 miles going all the up the West coast to Seattle and across to Yellowstone. I can't tell you, I guess I could, how much of a pain it is to have to open the tire carrier up just to get in the back. Only to realize I need to crawl over the back seat to get at what I want!!!!!

You're not kidding, and some people have two swing-outs on the bumper. It put a grin on my face every time I opened them up to get something out of the fridge and it was just right there. Or with the side panels, I can pop the window, reach in and both the side panel latches are right there, swing that open and get at the jug of oil, spare white gas, receiver hitch, ect.
I would be willing to run them even if I couldn't see through them, panel van style.

Solid panels is what I'm thinking... we'll need to brainstorm next weekend. These are not only cool but useful too!

Pops

Incredible work! I'd like to see a pic from the outside, with them closed.

But the glass is UBER cool. Need to work up a solid material that some glazing can be put into, if it is wanted. I can just see myself leaving them open and driving between two trees! Don't want to do that with MILLION dollar glass.

Pops

I made the project incredibly difficult on myself by using glass, can't believe the stuff held up so well though, tempered glass is incredibly strong.

I should post the other pictures here as well:

Yeah, it looks great! Like your other stuff, it looks like it could have come that way from the factory.

... I can't tell you, I guess I could, how much of a pain it is to have to open the tire carrier up just to get in the back. Only to realize I need to crawl over the back seat to get at what I want!!!!!
I agree wholeheartedly with everything posted above!

You're not kidding, and some people have two swing-outs on the bumper. It put a grin on my face every time I opened them up to get something out of the fridge and it was just right there. Or with the side panels, I can pop the window, reach in and both the side panel latches are right there, swing that open and get at the jug of oil, spare white gas, receiver hitch, ect.
I would be willing to run them even if I couldn't see through them, panel van style.
I had no idea you were designing/building these. I was just (as in= a couple of weeks ago) saying that something like this was needed for our sixty (although I was thinking no glass and with a bug screen on the inside). I love our new swing out tire carrier, and we HAD to get it due to our new long range fuel tank, but getting to our drawers and fridge is a bit of a pain now...

...I can just see myself leaving them open and driving between two trees! Don't want to do that with MILLION dollar glass.
I am with Pops on that one as well.

Props to you. Always very creative and useful designs and ideas. Form and function.

Windows for a HJ47

can the window frame be modified to fit a an HJ47, and use Lexan instead of glass?

I'm assuming that just using some steel and turning the car into a van would work out a lot less costly.

You could use duct tape and a garbage bag to replace the window, but I don't think that is what Kevin is going for...

can the window frame be modified to fit a an HJ47, and use Lexan instead of glass?

If you set me up with an HJ47 I'll make whatever you want for it. :grinpimp:
Assuming that the frame on a 47 is all straight line, not like the 60s, then a new frame might be able to be designed fairly easily.
Lexan, perspex, plexi, acrylic ect, don't meet my kind if clarity and durability requirements and are also no where near rigid enough for this kind of application. Clouding and scratching are a big issue and the glass is rigid enough to hold it's shoe and seal down against the gaskets.
I need to sort out what I've got before moving on the another series. :D

I'm assuming that just using some steel and turning the car into a van would work out a lot less costly.

As long as the steel opened the same way I would still be interested. Even steel has some issues, the glass is more rigid than a comparable thickness sheet of steel so the construction is lighter and simpler. Then coating the steel to stay clean and rust free become an issue.
I'm going to play with this and keep looking for other alternatives as well.

firetruck41 You could use duct tape and a garbage bag to replace the window, but I don't think that is what Kevin is going for...
That could work............. You would probably need new duct tape after every few openings. :hmm:

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom