craigslist 1984 FJ60 $1500 Missoula MT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Issues?

Were there any other issues that you noticed that would affect safety or reliability?

Info...

Ok, I talked to the guy who owns this rig and he filled me in on the details a bit more. It was his daily driver for a year but he hasn't been driving it for the last two months because of the lack of fuel economy. He says it gets between 8 and 9 miles to a gallon (which really isn't that bad for a 60) and it runs well, but backfires at stop lights because the carb gets overloaded. He said he had to cut out the catalytic converter because it got clogged up and he did a "redneck" repair job on the pipe. He still has the cat and will include it with the truck since you can sometimes get a credit for it. The previous owner hit a deer and damaged the right fender and the bumper, so he found a replacement fender at a local junkyard and hand painted it with primer. There is no bumper. I would love to get this truck, but my wife just made it very clear that I can't get a 60 because she doesn't want to learn to drive a stick. 62s or 80s only for us. :( This sounds like a good one for someone who has a little bit of extra money to put into it to fix the carb and exhaust issues.

Ian

EDIT: By the way, the guy is desperate to sell it by Friday when he's moving back to Tenn. He who shows up with cash in hand will have incredible bargaining power and may even get an enormous discount.

Last edited:
EDIT: By the way, the guy is desperate to sell it by Friday when he's moving back to Tenn. He who shows up with cash in hand will have incredible bargaining power and may even get an enormous discount.

Why'd you have to say that? Now I have to think about it even more. After talking to my brother (MT Economist) on the phone yesterday, coupled with this I'm more and more tempted to try and run away with it...

Someone better snag this quick.

Dan

My impressions in addition to the info that Mungoon got from the owner.

Were there any other issues that you noticed that would affect safety or reliability?

Other than the carb, no. As far as safety, the seat belts were pretty much useless, but other than that.

The frame was solid. Some surface rust but that is about it. It had been parked 2 months and there was no oil in the drive way from the engine. The front knuckles were seeping and there was a little bit of grease that had dripped down from the front axle seal. One of the tires had a slice in the tread.

Brakes were fine. Engine was strong. Transmission was good. High and low 4 engaged but I did not lock the hubs. It had a repaint and the previous owned did some body work but it looked pretty good. Has AC but needs a charge.

The worst rust was in the inner door by the hinges. Dash was rough. Drivers seat had a tear. I am not sure if it has the original carb.

IMHO it is a steal at $1500. I was just decided that I want something that will be a little easier to take on long road trips.

Why'd you have to say that? Now I have to think about it even more. After talking to my brother (MT Economist) on the phone yesterday, coupled with this I'm more and more tempted to try and run away with it...

Dan, you can leave it with me as long as you want.

MT econ, good to see your still out here. Paul

Dan, You need to stop by if you if you come north.

MT econ, good to see your still out here. Paul

Dan, You need to stop by if you if you come north.

I agree. If I can get the 40 painted the last week of August, then I'd be up there sometime in September or early October. Fingers crossed!

If I wasn't about to make a mess of my 45, I'd snag this 60 today. I really, really hope I can find a deal like this in a couple of years when I will have time to devote to a Wagon of some sort.

Dan

Out of curiosity, how much did he let it go for?

She offered $800 and he said he had already turned down a couple of $900 offers. She got it for $1200. She must trust my judgment buying it sight unseen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom