Alaska Cruiser Trek 2010 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm posting this in response to a number of inquiries I have received recently... Decisions are being made and it looks like the Trek will happen again in 2010.

No details are set in stone yet, but it will probably be in early-mid July. One week on the trail.

We are planning on spending our time on the south side of the eastern end of the Alaska Range. Weather permitting. In 2008, heavy rains created dangerously high water in all the rivers in that area and we moved to the eastern side of the Talkeetna Mountains. That will be our fall back plan this time too.

Mainly "hardcore sightseeing" like all the other Treks have been. Maybe (hopefully) a bit more mud and bog and also deeper river crossings. Maybe some of our previous participants will offer some outsider's perception of just what that means. :)

We will have a limit of about 15 rigs total. That *might* be increased a small amount. We will probably be extending some personal invitations to a few people and then opening for applications from non-Alaskans. Any remaining slots will be available for locals.

Expect to see more info as it develops. For now, questions and comments are invited in this thread.

Mark...

Hi Mark,

I would very much like to attend next year, either with my 62 or as a passenger in a more "hardcore" rig. Would you comment on the vehicle requirements if you have a checklist in your mind? I'd like to gauge if I'll be able to bring my truck up to snuff. IIRC, the requirements for 2008 were at least one locker, at least 35" tires and capable of handling a 48" deep water crossing.

Thanks,
Curtis. :cheers:

Last edited:
Hi Curtis,

The requirements will probably be the same. At least one locker and 35 inch mud terrain type tires as a minimum.. I did not remember (and am to lazy to check right now) that we required 48 inches fording ability. I recalled that we required *comfortable* 36 inch fording ability with a warning that you would see deeper. We will see 4 foot deep water I am sure unless we have enough rain in one area to keep us out completely and a very dry year in the other that drops the water levels while we are there. An unlikely combo. On board fuel is a consideration as well. We have been requiring at least 36 gallons on each rig and we have been carrying additional fuel for the group. We will probably continue in that approach.

Mark...

Thanks for the clarification.

RockDork - I hear Whatley loves cheesecake. Better mail him a few to con him out of an invite! :)

Maybe if I end up doing the Dempster, I'll try to rig up the manifold bakery and make a detour. :lol: I wonder if sending a cheesecake across the border would put me on a watchlist. :hmm:

Hmmmm Cheescake. :)

And Cheesy jokes too :p

Mark...

I am seriously interested in attending this years ACT. I am planning to visit AK next summer and would love to join in if there are spots after the “locals” sign up.

I could even pick up Curtis on my way through Glacier National Park and go through Edmonton if we had to consolidate trucks in which case Curtis’s ticket would be me borrowing his trany and modded 3FE. :D

Based on the pictures from last year this could be a once in a lifetime experience. The rock trails in California are unique but the idea of going through rivers and across the frontier would be unimaginable. I will be watching this thread closely.

Randy, the "locals" will have last shot at any slots. Visitors from outside will have priority. If all goes as hoped, we will not be in the area that we were last year, but instead in the region that we were in 2002 and 2003.

This link is to some of Gina Bringman's stuff.

XPLORN - Gina Bringman Photography

There is a link there for "cruiser trek". And you can find pics from 2002 and 2003 at that page. These show the type of country we will be exploring this time around. We will also see some stuff very like what was traveled through in last years Trek.

Last edited:
Interested. I have wanted to do this for years. Subscribing.

wife and i are very interested in this trip if you could put me inline that would be great. have been slowly planning a trip to alaska for next year and this is just what we wanted to do:cheers:
i would ether bring my 94 or 96 80

I'm glad you posted up that it is going to happen.

How do I get on the list of 15?

Do I need to send you pics and spec of my rig, have a well known Cruiser head do a tech inspection to verify the build, etc?

I will be bringing my FJ 40.5.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to go to Alaska... Its a long long long drive to get there though.

If it starts in Anchorage (or near) that puts me about 3400 miles - 10 hours a day averaging 60 mph ~ 6 days each way from here. So... 3 weeks round trip.

No way I'd be able to pull that much time off from work to do the trip in my own truck.

So... Would any of the locals have interest in a passenger? I'm a winter weather backpacker - other than the seat for me and a 2.5'x2'x4' spot for my pack, I can be fairly self sufficient.

Been wanting to do this for years as well. Unfortunately, if there's one thing that I know about myself, it's that I'm no long distance driver:rolleyes:.

I do happen to have a real good buddy in Anchorage with an 80 set up for just this type of expedition though.......hint, hint, wink, wink:D

I have been building up my FJ62 in anticipation of a Trek to Alaska. We are planning on going next summer, this summer is Maine as a shake-down run. My rig is the classic craigslist transformation, purchases for $1500, added close to $10k worth of gear and still going. Long cold winter nights welding up the holes after work hours. Rebuilding the knuckles, brakes, suspension, fixing leaks, redoing interiors. Sounds like a great trip, but regardless I am headed to Alaska, I'll either come aboard or see you on the trail.

Comments based on all the posts above:

This is a very early heads up notice, mainly because I have had people inquiring for a while now. The decision to host the Trek in 2010 has just been made and not it is time to deal with the details. Suggestions, thoughts, and questions here will be incorporated to whatever degree possible. We are expecting to contact a few friends and people who had tried to come up before, but found themselves unable at the last minute to give them first shot. Do not expect many of the slots to go this way to be honest. After that it will be first come first serve, but based on past experience I do not expect to run out of slots. As soon as the applications packets are done, we will get them out to everyone who has expressed interest here.

We will have minimum requirements for the rigs and certain required gear for each rig. We will have suggestions beyond the requirements. In general we will not be inspecting the rigs or the gear. We will trust folks not to be foolish enough to show up unprepared. BUT... it has happened before and it caused problems to varying degrees. So we might spot check, or we might happen across stuff. We may very well leave someone at the trailhead if they are not properly set up or equipped. We won't leave anyone on the trail of course. But you don't want to be "That Guy". We're all grown ups and no one will have to jump through any hoops to prove themselves to join the fun.

We are hoping to have a good turn out of non-Alaska Rigs in 2010. Hoping. It takes a lot to make the trip and the Trek. But the more participants we have from Outside, the fewer Alaskans will be along beyond those of us running it all. Those locals who are along almost always have had their own passengers, very few solo drivers over the years. And we will not know how many or who the Alaskans will be until a lot closer to the Trek. So, while it might happen, I would not count on finding a seat that way.
The Trek usually starts at the Trailhead. some folks come into the Anchorage area first and some go straight to meet us at the trail or nearby. The trailheads for the areas we have used so far are short of Anchorage for those driving up the highway. The one we hope to run this time is about 250 miles from Anchorage.

On the subject of catching a ride for the Trek... This may be the last Trek in it's current evolution . If things go as planned, in 2012 or maybe even 2011, the Trek may include built FJ80s available for rental. When you look at the time and expense of getting here it can be daunting for most. But that is a completely different endeavor and we'll just have to see how it shakes out.

This Trek will hopefully be a bit more challenging than some of the others, but we have no intent of making it suitable for trailer queen trail rigs only. and while it would not be appropriate to being a minivan full of toddlers along with you, we have had kids along on every Trek IIRC. They have all loved it, and they have been a nice addition to the event.

Mark...

Last edited:
I have been building up my FJ62 in anticipation of a Trek to Alaska. We are planning on going next summer, this summer is Maine as a shake-down run. My rig is the classic craigslist transformation, purchases for $1500, added close to $10k worth of gear and still going. Long cold winter nights welding up the holes after work hours. Rebuilding the knuckles, brakes, suspension, fixing leaks, redoing interiors. Sounds like a great trip, but regardless I am headed to Alaska, I'll either come aboard or see you on the trail.

My truck has evolved the same way. I was going to do mild off roading then I did one hard trail and the addiction got crazy.

I will be waiting for the info packets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom