Upper Peninsula Overland Adventure Weekend August 23rd-24th; Open invite to all (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tripleplate.com
Well, I have been throwing around this idea of a couple of months and have finally put together some dates that work with my summer schedule.

The plan is for a two day overland trip leaving from the Marquette area that will take us through some remote areas of the Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The route will cross west through the Yellow Dog plains to the base of the Keweenaw Peninsula then head north to the tip. The route will consist of dirt roads, trails and sections of pavement. We are still finalizing the route and camping locations but it should be epic. Highlights of the trip will be waterfalls, views of Lake Superior, remote sections of shoreline, swimming, abandoned mines, the area of the proposed highly controversial sulfide mine, pristine rivers far away from development and the opportunity to fish them, and an educational component of some nature.

The route will have some technical sections but the plan is to keep everything a 3 and under rating. We will observe Tread Lightly! prinicples on the trip as well. As we get route details and further trip details sorted we will post in this thread. Everyone and anyone is invited to attend. The trip will be free, though a donation to Save the Wild UP.org is encouraged. Save the Wild UP The trip is open to all makes.

Additional activities such as a led mountain bike ride, paddling, hiking, snorkeling, or possibly a sail on Lake Superior on a historic 50 foot wooden schooner are an open possibility. These activities could be fit in on the Friday before or Monday after the overland trip if anyone is interested. I'll play that by ear and am willing to lead or organize any of those activities if there is interest. Please use this thread as the official signup.

It would be incredible to get a good group together and get a sample of natural wonders of this region. Hope to see you here!

110106.jpg

I wish I could make that! I am doing a 360 tour of Lake Superior in June and July. I might post photos if anyone is interested. Have a great weekend!

Hmm. Keep me informed. I may be interested in doing this instead of hitting the Tacoma Takeover in Aug. in KY. I love the UP!! The wife and I took an 8 day trip last Summer to Duluth across the UP. We hit a lot of the waterfalls all over up there. I couldn't get enough! Took a trip out to the rocket launch past Copper Harbor too that was really neat. That was really the closest thing to wheeling we did other than a bunch of 2-tracking.

I posted pics somewhere. I will post a link up later to them.

This is definitely on my radar for the summer. I don't know if I will be able to make it but would definitely like to. I have lived in MI for 2+ years and still have not made it to the UP; this sounds like an excellent excuse to get up there.

I also have this trip posted up over on Expedition Portal as well where there is a bit more discussion going on. Here's the link.. Expedition Portal Forums

Rattler, one of the campsites is likely going to be that section of shoreline just to the south of that rocket launch site, within a quarter of a mile. That's a great area.

Are you trying to limit it to Toys? I can get in touch with a few in MI not on here.

ah....the memories of the keeeeweeeenah. If I only could take the time to get back up there someday. Last week of August - isn't that one of the two weeks of bad snow skiing up there?

:grinpimp:

bk
mtu grad '95

ah....the memories of the keeeeweeeenah. If I only could take the time to get back up there someday. Last week of August - isn't that one of the two weeks of bad snow skiing up there?

:grinpimp:

bk
mtu grad '95

Ha ha, hopefully we will have summer arrive on August 24th then fall will probably come through the 26th! :D

I'm in norhtern lower michigan, I am definitely interested if I can make it work with my work schedule. I'll follow the post. Like Kevin G said, I've been in norhtern mi for several years and have yet to make it to the UP

It would be great to get you up here and if your username is related to mountainbiking you probably already know that the mountain biking in Marquette is truly world class. You should definately bring up your bike.

What area are you from? I grew up in Leelanau County and moved up here in the late '90's.

This may be one of my trips this summer. I used to work for mead and ran around that area cruising timber. Never made it to the Yellow dog plains, though. Will we see Big Eric's bridge or the "million dollar bridge''?
Hey single track, I'm in Cheboygan. Let's wheel sometime!

Ya, I go tech, too, eh?

I am definately interested in this event I will check over at the expedition portal, but keep me posted I would love to be included.

Is there going to be spouses on this? It will be my wife and I and she doesn't want to be the only female.

Otherwise I am getting pretty stoked about this after our trip up there last Summer.

Last edited:
Sorry, for the delay getting back to you guys, I'm in California right now. Timber, yes, the route will take us by Big Eric's bridge. I'm planning on scouting the exact route when I get back in early June (Yooper may be helping out as well) since there is a huge possibilities of route. The other option would be to hit Mt Arvon which is fairly close and is Michigan's high point, just shy of 2,000ft. Also, next time I come through Cheybogan I'll have to drop you a line. My mother lives out by the State Park east of town there. I get through fairly often.

Rattler, yes, sounds like there will be spouses/significant others along. I'm bringing my girlfriend so there should be no worries.

There is a pretty good discussion going on over at Expo Portal on the trip. I'll keep checking in on this thread too. I'm getting excited!

Hi guys and gals! I'd love to be a part of this trip. Let me know whats needed to reserve a spot. I'd be bringing my wife and our XJ is locked front/rear and winch equipped if that matters. We went on the Super Dooper Yooper tour several years back with Woody and others (we had an FJ-40 at that time), the scenery and one waterfall in particular where fantastic! Woody...your site is fantastic, I can't believe how big this thing got! Hope all is well! Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom