surf n turf 08' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im planning on going to surf&turf this year. anyone for a cruiser convoy? I'll be leaving from C. Falls Montana, hittin I-90 thru northern Utah, Washington, then south west to hwy 101, south thru Oregon, and onto Pizmo Beach. It'll be me, my wife and the four kidsin the 62. (we only have 3 now but are expecting begining of august) Gotta get third row seats in the 62:D. not sure on the dates yet but I thought i'd throw this out and see if anyone was interested. might be cool to see how many cruisers we can get convoyed:steer:. get the festivities started early:beer::beer::cheers::cheers::cool::grinpimp:

you sure do plan ahead, don't you? :D

I thought if I posted this early it might get some people who were not even thinkin about surf n turf to maybe start considering the option. an old Marine taught me that Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance:D.

what kind of vehicle gear is recomended?
what kind of camping gear is recomended?
hows the surfin?

Vehicle gear: You're bringing a Toyota 4x4 right? Then just air down your tires to 10-15 psi and stomp on it.

Camping gear: A nice big tent is good.... sand is unavoidable though...

Surf: I'm not a local, but there seems to be 4-6 ft. breakers sometime during SNT each year... There's probably better places around somewhere.

hows the surfin?

Awesome compared to Montana!

People surf near the pier further north up the beach. We always surfed at Shell Beach a few miles north up the freeway. If you go 15 miles north to Morro Bay, and you catch the right tide, you can surf in the cooling outflow of the power plant and the water is warmer than anywhere else. It's a long paddle though.

If you get homesick you can visit Montana de Oro state park. ;)

sweet! im looking forward to trying my hand at surfing. the only thing ive surfed is white and powdery.:D and it doesn't have the intimidating effect the ocean does. looking forward to meeting a bunch of cruiser heads. we're a rare breed in Montana. :cheers:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I guess old age is catchin up with me. Maybe it'll all come back to me. Like riding a bike.:D

The wife and I are GOING this year, but I wont be bringing the cruiser...Ill be sporting the new taco DD.
Ummm are there other stock rigs that do this?
Id assume so, but if not please let me know!

Very excited about it!
I look forward to putting the names with faces from the board, and seeing the rigs in person!

Chicago

How did I miss this thread???

Batman, I'll caravan with you!

..........for the last 3 miles! :lol:

I never thought the surf was good at the dunes. It's a sand bottom beach break, mostly close outs. BUT since Surf N Turf and camping out on the beach, I've been lucky enough to see glassy sets peeling off at sunrise. The afternoons may be blown out, but the mornings definitely have potential!

Get it!

P.S. you guys would be amazed at the winter swells, tides, and creek crossing. It's very cool (extreme) and there is hardly anyone out there! During the last big rain, I went down to check out the creek, it was flowing pretty good, there were a dozen rigs parked waiting for someone to "test the waters". It didn't look too bad to me so I locked the hubs, pushed the T-case lever to the right, and dove into the 2 ft deep current. The climb up the opposite bank was a little less sure footed than I expected but it wasn't a problem. there weren't too many people South of the creek just a lot of drift wood.

After crossing in similar fashion on the way back I realized I was in 2WD low. :rolleyes: Yep, despite locking the hubs, I forgot to push the T-case level OVER AND BACK. A rookie mistake for someone like me who has modifiied the shift gate. I need to wheel more often!

Thankfully, a two wheel drive cruiser - with street pressure - still kicks butt and makes up for "operator error".

TOO FUNNY JIM be there this year thanks for the shirt JIM
cheers

obviously you forgot that you did surf back in the sixties:smokin:. how could you forget that epic contest with the joker, you did pull off a gnarly frontside spinner too check out the video proof;
YouTube - BATMAN surfing Episode SURF'S UP JOKERS UNDER 1967

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Great video! This Interweb cracks me up!

"Thanks to the shark repellant spray on my Bat Belt".

And my favorite...

"... all transfered to you thanks to that nice surfing experience and ability transferometer" :lol:

:popcorn:

..Ill be sporting the new taco DD.
Ummm are there other stock rigs that do this?
Id assume so, but if not please let me know!

Chicago

Yep, plenty of stock rigs, you'll be fine, just air down.... and remember to put it in 4wd..... (Nice one Jim!) :cheers:

You can find good breaks north near the pier like Fast Eddy said, also at Shell and over in Morro. I am hoping to make it out this year since I finally have my cruiser here in SLO and thanks to Mark A I am getting parts to put her together correctly. Montana De Oro is an experience worth going to just to check out and do some hiking or mountain biking. I'm gonna bring out the kayak as well, poor things getting dusty with all the school work I've been doing lately.

As far as camping gear a good tent and sleeping bag should be all you need, nights are pretty mild down here and the sands warm. Can't wait to go this year, I was heading back from San Fran when I saw the cruiser train rolling north out of SLO, nearly cried when I realized what it was.

Yep, plenty of stock rigs, you'll be fine, just air down.... and remember to put it in 4wd..... (Nice one Jim!) :cheers:

AYE...thanks!
Sounds like a blast! cant wait to check it out!
The wife has already requested the time off!

Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom