Chacala to Yelapa Off Road Trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been home for about a month now. I wanted to share some experiences with fellow mud readers on some off road excursions I did during my vacation/family visit around Puerto Vallarta, Jal. Mexico.

Ruta Chacala y Yelapa - Chacala to Yelapa Trail
Date traveled: 01/28/07
The village of Yelapa lies on the southern shore of the Bay of Banderas, about 15 miles southwest of Puerto Vallarta, on the west coast of Mexico in the state of Jalisco. Most visitors arrive by taxi pangas from nearby Puerto Vallarta. Yelapa is part of a large indigenous community, in addition, to a few Americans and Canadians who also call Yelapa Home. The El Tuito River empties into the sea here, as well as another small mountain tributary. Yelapa’s name is said to be an old Indian one meaning “where two rivers meet the sea.”

The area is in what is geologically known as the Southern Escarpment, one of Mexico’s several immense mountain ranges dividing and defining the country’s regions. The land is densely foliated from the sea to the peaks, boasting a wide range of tropical flowering plants and trees, truly a nature lover’s delight. This is a tropical dry broadleaf forest, where the wet or rainy season lasts to nearly half the year, leaving the land gradually drying in the winter and the spring.

This particular region of Mexico was cited by the magazine Cultural Survival as one of the richest and most valuable bioregions in the world. It is believed that its forest tree genetic resources rival that of any topical moist forest region. According to one source, this area of Mexico is second only to the Amazon rain basin in terms of biodiversity and numbers of indigenous communities.

To get to Chacala via road. You must drive to El Tuito (29 miles from Puerto Vallarta) then follow a dirt road from El Tuito to the village of Chacala, then on to Yelapa. The dirt road will meander from here on out through the mountains and will have opportunities to do some creek crossings. The most memorable is at el rancho llano Grande. Plan about 1.5 to 2 hours of trail distance between El Tuito and Yelapa. It is advisable to have a 4WD vehicle in case you get rain, as rain would make the clay like dirt very slippery when wet.

Plan on stopping at the lookout point on top of the mountain to appreciate the panoramic views of Yelapa, & the bay of Banderas and beyond.

The rewards for arriving into Yelapa and making the roughly ½ hour walk to the beach is that you get to enjoy some peace and quite at a very laid back beach, with restaurants serving fresh seafood and cold beers.

For a link to my photobucket to view more pics click here.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/bohemianjsr/36%20Chacala%20to%20Yelapa%2007/
Mexico Pics 222.jpg
Mexico Pics 238.jpg
Mexico Pics 228.jpg

Wow looks like an awesome trip! :cool: Thanks for the review.

linky no worky

linky no worky

Same here. Having stayed in Jelapa a couple of times and reaching it via water taxi on the Bay, I'd thought that there must be a fantastic trail somewhere in the jungle that could be traversed with the right vehicle. First time the Mrs. and I were there was on our honeymoon in 1980. Last time was Christmas in 2004. It was great to see Jelapa hasn't changed drastically like most of the Puerto Vallarta region has since '80. We are now considering some property in Lo De Marcos north of PV and may have the chance to try this trail ourselves someday. I hope so and please get that link working!
:beer:

Ok got the link working. Steve, yes PV has changed considerable since it became a full blown vacation destionation in the early 80s. I have property in San Francisco nayarit myself, have yet to build a home on a lot 3 blocks from the beach. Lo DeMarcos is a very nice beach town as well. The word is that the governement wants to build a Coast Hwy as far north as San Blas and as far down to Barra De Navidad, meaning many of the dirt trails connecting the now small beach towns will be paved in the next couple of years.....can't stop progress I guess.

Very nice! We've seen hang gliders coming from just about where you must be at the high point overlooking the Yelapa cove. Wife asked my why I was spelling Yelapa wrong. D'oh! Now both of us are jonesin' for another Mexico trip only this time, in a Cruiser! Thanks for fixing the link. I am going to pm you about your map and other PV area stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom