Turtleback Trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Luke111

Supporting Vendor
Threads
image-2016833853.jpg
image-2309300470.jpg
image-2680011177.jpg
image-16043063.jpg
image-3180942914.jpg
image-3846086770.jpg
image-419401562.jpg
image-2900642676.jpg
image-2299875803.jpg
image-2032267366.jpg
image-981599884.jpg
image-3011040077.jpg
image-772441206.jpg
image-4155913552.jpg
image-3159765605.jpg
image-1000347825.jpg
image-2200081418.jpg
Since most of the trailer companies are out west and my 80 is at Slee for work.. I thought I'd looked for a nice trailer to tow back east in a month... Saw an ad on Expedition Portal for two Turtleback Trailers and really like the design and the price point.
I did not buy one of the two that are completed and ready .. I'm having them spec out a frame that's rolling just not outfitted.
I decided to forgo the kitchen and the Baltic Birch paneling inside the front cargo area but ordered it with the water tank, shower , water heater and pump. They will skin it with white Aluminum .... have the cross bars and run 315's to match my truck ...I plan on finishing the inside and rear area myself to save a few bucks... The first two picture are the rolling frame I'm getting and I'll post a few of trailer that's for sale.

www.turtlebacktrailers.com

Last edited:
Awesome looking setups! May have to check them out.

Lou,

That's a nice platform to build the way you want. I've seen your work, so I know this will be one heck of a trailer, when you're done.

Best regards,

Ron

scrapdaddy and delancy, i had no idea that you two strayed this far from the pigsty...

Lou gets it right, on all accounts.

I saw a string of Lou's new party lights posted in another thread of his, followed here, and subbed for pics of the unveiling at the next event with his "friends".

Wow, I sat down to search for wheels and tires 2 hrs ago, stumbled upon this thread and just now reached the top. Very impressed Lou (+ Delancy et al). Thorough job. I'm taking delivery of my first FZJ80 in a couple of weeks and now have a ton of useful intel thanks to you all.

Much appreciated and congratulations on the build. Gold Cup looks like fun too.

J

Simply stating your eloquent use and frequency of technical humorous conversation...
Couldn't live without it

Lou

Last edited:
Looking at the pics up top I see two things that I don't like but no idea if they're permanent or not.
1) Short (i.e. stiff) leaf springs
2) No shocks.

No one (usually) rides in a trailer, so the ride quality rules are a bit different, but with that combo I predict broken eggs and, worse, shaken up beer.

Lou's Trailer, and all of the Turtleback Trailers going out have 3500# torsion axles desprung to 2500#. The leaf springs were on a prototype. Shocks can be added but I haven't found them to be necessary

If they are rubber torsion axles I feel that shocks are an absolute necessity to divert heat from stuff like washboard roads away from the torsion rubber itself. Get that rubber hot enough and it de-vulcanizes which collapses the suspension. AT claims one such occurrence, but has yet to produce pictures of it. I recall reading that the Dexter's used on military stuff has shocks.

If not rubber I'm curious as to what they are.

If they are rubber torsion axles I feel that shocks are an absolute necessity to divert heat from stuff like washboard roads away from the torsion rubber itself. Get that rubber hot enough and it de-vulcanizes which collapses the suspension. AT claims one such occurrence, but has yet to produce pictures of it. I recall reading that the Dexter's used on military stuff has shocks.

If not rubber I'm curious as to what they are.

I did read AT's suspension evolution history a while back...and that does make sense...just not sure under what conditions that occurred... but this trailer is coming to the east cost and will see moderate off road use and trails... In my conversations with Dave Musterman regarding his trailers and how they have evolved and his attention to detail to build quality...he would address that or change his setup if that ever became an issue. I would consider Dave's attention to detail to be extreme.........Using his rear kitchen setup as a reference point the wood is CNC cut ....the completed kitchens maintain tolerances to 1/32" ....the whole setup is bench built and slips into the frame and bolts in....I think I'm covered

What set up are you running on your trailer?

Lou

I kind of mis-spoke myself. AT doesn't blame heat for the de-vulcanization, they blamed grit getting into the assembly. If the rubber vulcanized to the inner and outer parts of the torsion axle I'm left wondering just where that grit would go?

Our TrailBlazer came with a Dexter rubber torsion axle. The OE frame was scrapped and a new one built by a man well familiar with the torture that Baja can put things thru, and he added the shocks.

Our trailer (pic snapped while shuffling things around in the driveway):
IMG_0465-1-1.jpg

image-3933358481.jpg
image-1057957553.jpg
I kind of mis-spoke myself. AT doesn't blame heat for the de-vulcanization, they blamed grit getting into the assembly. If the rubber vulcanized to the inner and outer parts of the torsion axle I'm left wondering just where that grit would go? Our TrailBlazer came with a Dexter rubber torsion axle. The OE frame was scrapped and a new one built by a man well familiar with the torture that Baja can put things thru, and he added the shocks. Our trailer (pic snapped while shuffling things around in the driveway):

Similar setup with shocks...easy enough to add later if needed...

I started to collect accessories for the front battery box ..... I would like to copy this setup below

Lou

Last edited:
That's a lot of circuits! Our pop-top camper doesn't have that many. I'm about to rewire it using the same center fuse block and 2 Blue Seas toggle type breakers.

What is the unit above the charger? Solar controller? I went with a Morningstar Sunsaver Duo, but I'm re-thinking that and may change to a Morningstar MPPT type controller, but only because I can then put the panels in series and avoid some voltage drop losses.

For our pop-top camper I went with the TriMetric battery monitor after first reading about it in the "HandyBob Solar 101" blog post (repetitive but highly recommended reading) and then researching it and finding it to be highly regarded.

With a permanent solar install I went lower cost on the charger/maintainer since I don't expect to need it very often. Have all of the major parts for the re-wire and solar install, just need the time.

EDIT: Found a pic of where/how the shocks are attached to the trailing arms.
TB-Undercarriage.jpg

Last edited:
Yes that's a solar controller... I'm the last person who should be answering any questions pertaining to circuits, breakers etc...
the setup in the photo was from a trailer thread on Expedition Portal and I'll use it as a guide....
I do have a question ..one battery or two?

Lou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom