m101a cnd lids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i have been overwhellmed by the intrest and requests for more information on my lid . i really didnt think it was all that special and i thank you guys for all the kind words and praise.. i have been receiving at least one email per week asking for specs.. sooo... what if i were to build a dozen of these things .. would there be enough intrest to make it worth my while and what do you think a fair price for these would be ..how much would you the trailer guys be willing to pay for somthing like this.. i dont know much about the logistics and shipping and stuff .. it seems to me most of you guys are spread all over north america and shipping on these would not be cheap.. i dont see any reason why i could not make the lids for the 416's too.. it wouldnt take much to change things a little bit for those so for now im just gonna put the question out to the comunity here and see where it goes..
as far as mounting hardware and stuff that could be left up to the individual buyer cuz some want em hinged on the end or the side or whatever
newtrailerpics025.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

Where are you located? My trailer is sitting at the fab shop right now. Problem i'm running into is finding a wide enough sheet of metal to make all the folds and bends to come close to what yours looks like. My guy is saying something about making two sides and welding together in the center. Then grinding down to smooth out the look? What size sheet did you get?

I have a feeling this thread might get a bit overwhelming! I was considering making a very similar top to yours, but I'm going to make mine out of aluminum, for a 416 trailer. (yours is steel, right?)

i'm not really sure what "fair" pricing would be, I haven't figured out what mine would cost in parts and labor yet... but if yours was only 20% more than doing it myself (plus shipping), I'd definitely buy one vs. fabricate one.

The license plate on your trailer indicated Ontario, Canada and I'm afraid you'd run into the same problem eleblanc faced with prohibitive shipping costs to us Yanks south of the border. His all aluminum lid was less than $400 IIRC, but shipping to the USA was going to run $200-250, making them cost prohibitive.

I've only received one solid bid for a flat steel lid using 1"x2" tubing as a frame and a sheet metal top, supplying my own hinge and struts, mounted on the trailer for just a little more than $400 here in expensive Southern California.

You've built a lid as nice looking as Eleblanc's, but both of you are in Canada! :crybaby:

My fab guy will start sometime this week on mine. I don't remember what gauge I chose but he is charging me $350 if I pay cash, closer to $400 any other way. That's the lid that hopefully will look somewhat like yours and hinges welded on, that I supplied. No rack on top or gas struts, I can do that myself.:rolleyes: Mine will be a little taller so more material. I asked him to go straight up 6" then angle in. I'm wanting more height out of mine. Not sure what the struts cost? Hope this gives you and idea of selling price.

yeh thats the problem shipping would put them out of the ball park... unless sombuddy wanted to come and pick it up.. and then that would prolly cost more for fuel ... oh well it was a thought thats all....

yeh thats the problem shipping would put them out of the ball park... unless sombuddy wanted to come and pick it up.. and then that would prolly cost more for fuel ... oh well it was a thought thats all....

Can you move a couple thousand miles closer? :p

Can you move a couple thousand miles closer? :p

i would at least like to come and visit california one day.. my kid as 2 more yrs of school and im thinking i might retire then and actually move further north i will be 50 and i think im ready..maybe i could go into building trailers as a part time hobby/business.. to keep me from going stir crazy

I was one of the guys that PM'd you. I would even pay you (paypal or something) for detailed drawing and dimensions along with the materials list that I could give my fabricator. The amount of time we would save not having to pour over your design to come up with the correct angles, lengths, etc. would be worth it. What do you think swampman?

Bryan, maybe consider supplying all the pieces cut for a u-weld kit? That would probably cut down shipping expense.

I'm with gaberelli - I would be more than willing to pay for a detailed set of drawings with material needs, strut pacements, hinges and a few detail pics in the package. I have a good fab shop here but they tend to kill you for any design work. If this will work for you please let me know how much $$>
Thanks

I'm with gaberelli - I would be more than willing to pay for a detailed set of drawings with material needs, strut pacements, hinges and a few detail pics in the package. I have a good fab shop here but they tend to kill you for any design work. If this will work for you please let me know how much $$>
Thanks
+1

LCconvert

Thanks

ok heres the deal.. i built this trailer from ideas i gathered together from you guys here and one or 2 other sites .. i took what i saw and applied it to my trailer build.. my buddy and i sat down and came up with some measurements and hoped that it looksd good when finished... i have no drawings of hinges or struts, but i got a few pics.. for me to tell you where to put your struts prolly wont work . cuz my tent will prolly be heavier than yours. im sure there is a science to strut placement, but im not that smart... i drilled 5 holes in the trailer before i got it right. materials ?. mine is 14 gauge steel with one support bar in the middle ..1'' square tube...

so for my payback to all you guys, for all the ideas that i borrowed , stole , tweaked a little send me your email address.. and i will send the drawings of my lid .. cuz i cant figure out how to post it..

i am more than willing to share my ideas ,cuz i know some day soon im gonna need some help figuring out some solar panel charger electrical type stuff

Last edited:
A couple email addresses for the info:

don@klbhcpas.com (work)
sbutler428@comcast.net (home)
I love the fenders too!! Are the running boards sturdy enough to stand on? Measurements (rough) for these would also be wonderful.
Thanks for sharing,
Don

A couple email addresses for the info:

don@klbhcpas.com (work)
sbutler428@comcast.net (home)
I love the fenders too!! Are the running boards sturdy enough to stand on? Measurements (rough) for these would also be wonderful.
Thanks for sharing,
Don

i sent you an e mail must not have went thru last time lemme work on the fender measurements im sure they are still on randy's computer.. and ... oh yea.. i stand on em all the time..

struts

So, they are starting to make my lid at a local fabricator based on your design (THANKS!!). I understand that strut placement is unique to each design, but what struts did you buy (#, stroke, diameter) and where did you buy them?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom