Cooker's Expedition M-416 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a good bit of research, procrastination and work, I am finally ready to begin with posting my build. By way of introduction, I have a small problem with jeeps, but have nothing against you yota guys (and girls)...

This is my rig...

IMG_0395.jpg

Like many on this site, I enjoy wheeling, camping and generally being outdoors.

Scramble-10.gif

It was on one of these trips that I became painfully aware of the lack of space in my jeep. This is just for two people going for a long weekend.

DSCF0893.jpg

Additionally, with another passenger, I figured it was time to get a small trailer to haul the gear. Here is my expedition partner.

IMG_0364.jpg

After many months of researching, I finally found a decent M-416 to start with. I drove up to Ocala and bought it off of a local Sheriff for several hundred dollars. This was approximately two years ago. Wife, two year old, work, and other obligations have made progress quite slow, but things are moving along now.

Here is a pic of when I first brought it home.

2007_09110001.jpg

As you can see, the lunette had been removed and replaced with a ball hitch. I was told it was used for hauling at a military base in Colorado. They also jerry rigged some u-bolts to prop the tub up.

Closer look at the ball hitch.

2007_09110002.jpg

Closer look at the u-bolts.

2007_09110003.jpg

Overall, the trailer was in decent condition, but needed a lot of work. The floor had some rot and was wavy, there were holes drilled everywhere, and someone had cut a tailgate in, and then stick welded it back in. Booger welds to follow:

2007_09110004.jpg

2007_09110005.jpg

2007_09110006.jpg

2007_09110007.jpg

More pics of trailer in as bought condition.

2007_09110008.jpg

2007_09110009.jpg

As you can see, no original military tires. Tires also badly rotted.

2007_09110011.jpg

Here is a pic of the springs, and bottom in original condition.

2007_09110020.jpg

2007_09110023.jpg

2007_09110028.jpg

2007_09110031.jpg

When I took off the fenders, I didn't realize it, but the trailer was infested with widow spiders. I have already suffered from a recluse bite in the past, so I was careful to get rid of them all after they moved out of the trailer and took over the garage at my apartment. I had been removing bolts under the fender with my bare hands about a half an inch away from a big nasty one.

2007_09110026.jpg

2007_09110027.jpg

When I took off the fenders, I didn't realize it, but the trailer was infested with widow spiders. I have already suffered from a recluse bite in the past, so I was careful to get rid of them all after they moved out of the trailer and took over the garage at my apartment. I had been removing bolts under the fender with my bare hands about a half an inch away from a big nasty one.

2007_09110026.jpg

2007_09110027.jpg

You can make out one of the egg sacks in the bottom picture.

In any event, I stripped the trailer completely and took the frame to the sandblaster. Then covered it with a couple coats of rustoleum. Also installed new CJ springs, greaseable shackles, grade eight hardware, and extended bumpstops for the SOA I planned on doing.

Also fabbed up a new extended tongue with a 2" ID receiver end so I can either use a lock and roll coupler offroad, or switch out to a simple ball hitch for highway driving. The extended tongue also gives me better handling and more storage space up front.

IMG_0306.jpg

At this point, the project stopped for a while, as I got married, had a baby, and moved to a new house. However, things have started moving again, and having my own garage helps a lot.

I decided to replace the standard axle with one from ABC trailer supply. I ordered a 3500 lb axle with a 57" wms. I got 5 on 5 and 1/2 idler hubs to fit my M/T Classic II 15 x 10 wheels with M/T Baja Claw Radials 35 x 12.5 x R15. I have two old tires that are currently sitting in the garage, but haven't ordered the Classic II wheels yet. Being able to run the same tires is good, as I can use my spare on the trailer, or can use tires off the trailer on the Jeep. I am considering adding electrical braked but this mod will be coming later.

Digressing, having a bigger garage is great, especially with air and my miller:

IMG_0307.jpg

Picture007.jpg

So after measuring and more measuring, and then some more, I burned on the spring perches to my new 3500 lb axle.

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

Actually had to redo the welds once to get better penetration.

Also had an issue with the SOA. The spring centering pin's head was too small, so I ordered some with oversized heads and took them to a local machinist, who cut them down to size.

Here is the axle getting primed and painted.

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

Next unanticipated problem was the length of the ubolts with the SOA. Had to get longer ones made. Then when I tried to put them on, they didnt fit right, so had to go back and get new ones bent again.

IMG_0396.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Then I debated for some time what to do about the tub. I cut the floor out as it was too warped, rusted and drilled through to salvage. Then, upon beginning to grind away at the old paint and rust, I found a good bit of bondo. It looked like the tub was going to be more work than it was worth to restore to the condition I wanted. Also, the round top of the 416 has always bothered me when putting on a lid, which I plan to do. I finally bit the bullet and ordered repro panels from Jeep Panels Plus. They also kept the dimensions of the 416 tub, but made bends at the top railing that are square, which is better for the lid. I highly recommend these guys.

Anyways, here is the tub progress photos:

Here she is tacked together. You can just make out my jerry rigged jig to hold the panels while welding them together.

IMG_0618.jpg

Here is some more photos of the tub, and progress. Fitted up the floor on the frame and stich welded it in. Also had to cut out some patches to fill up the gaps between the ended and the sides. Right now I am on my second bottle of gas, and dont even want to know how many spot welds I have made.

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

Floor on the frame. Had to drill some holes to spot weld it in. Actually, had to drill a lot of holes doing the tub. Have worn out many a bit.

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

Tub on floor for fitting

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

Here are some more pics of floor fitment.

IMG_0629.jpg

Here is how I pressed the sides down on the floor for welding. Ratchet straps and 2x4s are good for all kinds of stuff.

IMG_0630.jpg

Here are some of my welds pre grinding. The occasional glitch here and there. Also, it did not fit up perfectly flush in some areas, hence the gorilla welds.

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

Flipped the tub over and more welding on the bottom. You can see where I put in the floor supports. Had to measure a few times to make sure they did not interfere with the frame rails. I still might need to modify them, as the bottom is a little wavy, and I plan on fabbing up a water tank holder underneath between the frame rails.

my trusty dewalt angle grinder. have probably spent days of my life on this thing, and never a problem.

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

Next I took some 14ga 1x1 square tubing and welded it to the rails of the top of the tug for support. I had gotten this far with just cut off wheels, but bit the bullet on a barely used Makita Cold Chop Saw off of craigslist for a great deal. Couldnt pass it up. Makes cutting 45 degree angles very easy.

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom