My expedition trailer build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
I picked up this trailer in abbortsford canada last january since im in college i didnt have much for tools or space to work on it so it sat for awhile. I was able to leaf of over axle and clean up the suspention while i was at it. this year im in a house with a garage and was able to bring my welder up from home to do what i want to do. Today i cut and started the tail gate for it. i plan for it to be as waterproof-dust proof as possible. My plans for this trailer will be to take all the camping gear off my truck and incorperate it into the trailer, when i want to go camping i can hook up the trailer and go and have everything with me.

Plans for this trailer include

locking tail gate
lift up metal top (with gas struts)
ezzi awn RTT on top of trailer
Matching wheels to the cruiser (eventually)
Full kitchen set up (this will include stove,sink, pantry, cabinet)
and more

I also plan to address the issues of locking the trailer and keeping it from being stolen when left at the camp sites.

This will be a slow build but im looking forward to it.
IMGP1359.jpg
IMGP1374.jpg
IMGP1375.jpg

Last edited:
i cut the end pipes off for the tailgate work those things are solid steel!! Also for those that have cut the rear for the tailgate did you encounter oil? Strang i know but after cutting through the top tube (the rim around the trailer) quite a bit of oil came pouring out? i guess its to keep it from rusting from the inside out? ive never heard of such a thing.
IMG_1522.jpg
IMG_1524.jpg
IMG_1535.jpg

tail gate cut through i cut the rend piece through as well to weld in the angle iron which will help me achieve the dust proof seal when done.
IMG_1530.jpg
IMG_1540.jpg
IMG_1541.jpg

looking very good. I also cut in a tail gate. But have not finished it. Although it is on there, I have to use a strap to keep it closed.

If you look at semlin's tailgate it made up for the loss of strength.

Good work, Would you mind showing a close-up of how the angle iron is fitted.
I'm about to start working on mine again and was thinking of doing the tailgate mod.

Another vote for a close up of your angle iron around the tail gate. Been considering something similar on my M416. Curious how you did yours.
Thanks,
RickyB

Another vote for a close up of your angle iron around the tail gate. Been considering something similar on my M416. Curious how you did yours.
Thanks,
RickyB

Ill go take some more pics when i get a chance,

on a side note what are people using for hinges on there tail gates? also latches? i was thinking flush mount latches but i would liek to keep the inside of the tail gate flat and clean so i can use it as a table

any thoughts?

Here is my new favorite "hinge and Latch" link...

http://www.austinhardware.com/store.asp?

Very cool stuff. I love the De-sta-co latches, they are amazing. And I am looking at a piano hinge that is beefy enough for the task. T-hinges might be worth checking out as well.

HTH

Drew

google the "southco mini r4 rotary latch". I'm in love with it. It is essentially the same as all latching mechanisms found on cars(in the doors). It has two stages just like a door latch(first step catches, second step is fully closed), and is available in several configurations for attaching release mechanisms to(it is just the raw latch, still needs an activation mechanism, i.e. a door handle, pull string, lever, etc). Also available in L & R.

I have 4 of them sitting on the shelf waiting for me to get time to build a tire carrier. If I remember I will grab them and post some pictures this weekend.

Ary

google the "southco mini r4 rotary latch". I'm in love with it. It is essentially the same as all latching mechanisms found on cars(in the doors). It has two stages just like a door latch(first step catches, second step is fully closed), and is available in several configurations for attaching release mechanisms to(it is just the raw latch, still needs an activation mechanism, i.e. a door handle, pull string, lever, etc). Also available in L & R.

I have 4 of them sitting on the shelf waiting for me to get time to build a tire carrier. If I remember I will grab them and post some pictures this weekend.

Ary

good pics would help alot most sites have drawing but what i really need are pics

thanks again
mike

Mike, my plans changed, and I don't think I'll be going to the shop. However I found very good info when searching on the southco website. I don't have time to look them up right now, but IIRC there were decent pics and excellent drawings.

The liquid is Ziebart coating compound. The manufacturer "Zeibarted" all of them as they came off the assembly line. If you look at the top rails around the tub you should find the plastic plugs with the Zeibart logo, these were used to seal the access holes once the coating was sprayed in.

heres a few close ups from the pics i have now ill take more when i work onit tomarrow. its far from done but yoy get the idea basically just angle iron around the inside for the trailer and some square pipe ont he inside of the tail gate to help make the gate rigid and allow for a flush fit when closed, then ill run a strip of rubber on the angle iron so when closed it creates a water tight-dust proof seal.

more to come
IMG_1541.jpg
IMG_1546.jpg
IMG_1557.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom