Builds YendraBuilt's FJ80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yendrabuilt.com
This summer I finally had an excuse to find the 80 I've always wanted, I became a father. I'm a gear head with a biking problem, so I've never really owned a "practical" vehicle, something with seatbelts I could put a carseat in, AC, a heater, that would fit in the driveway, and was reliable. Found an unmolested '91 in town for the right price. As a kid, my parents had an '86 4Runner, then a couple Troopers, and finally an Xterra…none of those were near as cool as a 60 or 80 LC which I tried to talk them into every time they were looking at a new SUV. So, in June I got myself a dad truck!

Got it to my shop to make sure everything works. It needs some love, but nothing major jumped out at me.
First things to do...
1) Fix the hanging-by-a-thread side mirror
2) Fix the drivers side window
3) Find some used tires to test out sizes
4) Replace right-rear fender flare that's broken and falling off

2015-06-10 09.19.09.jpg

2015-06-10 09.19.23.jpg

Congrats on both your new babies! Now be sure to set up an investment fund for each and don't forget to donate regularly.

Looks great for a 91 and love the two tone.

Can't go wrong with 33x10.5 on those rigs.

Congrats on both your new babies! Now be sure to set up an investment fund for each and don't forget to donate regularly.

Looks great for a 91 and love the two tone.

Can't go wrong with 33x10.5 on those rigs.

I'm a big fan of the Silver/Charcoal Gray, glad I found one! Ditched the 33x10.50s for some 255/85s a few weeks ago, I'm kinda working backwards on this build thread to try and catch up to where I'm at today.

Congrats on both new additions to your life. Wish I would have been able to afford an 80 when my kids we born. Was at Toyota to buy a family car in 1995 and ended up with a Camry but I did sit in the Cruiser that was in the show room. I nearly s*** when I saw the sticker price of more than twice the Camry price. It only took 18 years for me to finally get an 80.

Now if you weren't moving it would be much easier for me to steal your welder!!!

Oh, and if my black fender on my 95 works on your 91 you can have it if you weld my holes.

You can use my lift and welder whenever! My fab shop will still be setup in town for awhile, I've got my 80 on the lift right now. I found another matching dark red flare of the same scrap vehicle. I'm waiting to install it until I spray the other side gray again.

Love the color... IF you are looking for a cheap way to match your red fender flare I sanded and bedlined mine then black bedlined flares and bumper caps.. they look great on this color scheme.. I've seen it on the white 80's and they do look kinda outta place but not on this color..
.. $15 for sandpaper, self etching primer and bed-liner spray... :)

20151121_144031.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Love the color... IF you are looking for a cheap way to match your red fender flare I sanded and bedlined mine then black bedlined flares and bumper caps.. they look great on this color scheme.. I've seen it on the white 80's and they do look kinda outta place but not on this color..
.. $15 for sandpaper, self etching primer and bed-liner spray... :)

I think I'll be spraying the hood, mirrors, bumpers, and repairing some scratches at the same time, so I'll use base/clear. I have a serious problem with taking things too far...

Whoops, today we picked up another '91 FJ80. This one is for the parents.

2015-12-18 14.36.25.jpg

It's pretty funny how each have the exact same problems. Now what to do?

Should we turn one into a more serious offroader and one into an overland expedition rig?

What do others with two LCs in the family tend to do?

Finishing up the drawings for my roof rack, throwing the parts in with some work we're doing for another brewery. Waterjet cut 1/4" aluminum for the sides and front, 1-1/8" x 0.049" wall 4130 chromoly for the crossbars, 3/4" x 0.049" 4130 for the runners, and 8x Yakima 1A towers to hold it all in place.

Only thing left to do is add some 6mm holes for mounting lights and other accessories,

FJ80-RoofRack-01.jpg
FJ80-RoofRack-03.jpg
FJ80-RoofRack-02.jpg

I *really* like that roof rack.
Thanks, want one? Haven't built it yet, wanted to use the Cruiser for the summer, get some miles under it before I got carried away building stuff for it. I've decided to make a low basket in the rear, while keeping the crossbars even from fr-bk for carrying steel tubing, lumber, and paddle boards.

I actually might, money's tight right now, but I'll gladly buy one if you start building them in a couple months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom