year of transfer case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G

before I list my transfer case for sale. I'd like to know if there is a way of identifying what year it might be. It came out of a cruiser that had a few parts from another cruiser on it, including the trans and tranfer, due to the PO. It is a three speed transfer. The trans had a floor shifter, with an original knob on it, as does the transfer. One of the fenders was switched and has a marker light in the apron. The rear axle was also swapped and it has a fine spline on the pinion flange. I'm guessing '69-'73, but would like to know for sure.

cases.jpg

More info here:http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/cases.html

Is the far right mount for the PTO?? If so shouldn't my pto shaft from my 4 speed case mate to the 3spd case??

The PTO mounts to the opening on the left of each t-case (as shown - the rears facing us in the pics!), better seen in the bottom right t-case. The large round opening on the right of each tcase is where the rear end of the output shaft extends.

Okay so when the T-case is in the cruiser then the PTO is on the driver side cause the pumpkins are on the passenger side. I want to do a SM465 conversion sometime in the future and AA said that the only exception with their plates is if the pto shaft is on the drivers side which mine is. Seeing that i can shove 3spd gears in my 4spd case and my 4spd case is stronger maybe i'll just do the 3spd gear conversion instead when i go sm465.

that is a great photo and all, but the fact is it is WRONG and should ceased to be used as the "be all end all definition".

1961-1963 t case has the 4 bolt "hat" cover for the output of tranny. These are the side shifter 3 sp models, centered axle FJ40's.

pn 34111
you will never in your lifetime see one of these cases. Not even used on FJ25's.

the "1967-1969" is REALLY 1964-1970 (appox 7/70).
it's a 36111-60020 but w/o part number change Toyota made them better. The key is, that photo def. "1967-1969" is a brittle case-period. the internals are great (and fit all 3sp) but the casting stinks.

the "1970-1/75" is really the coveted case 1971-1973
(redesign 60020 case)

transitional cases are 36111-60030
4sp 1975+ cases are 36111-60031/2
the non US case is 36111-60060 and has a 34mm idler shaft (made 8/80-10/82)

"Rick D (mrwagon@tritel.net) adds:
That printed stuff Marlin or whomever did was wrong about the cases. 1963's may have had the 4 bolt output shaft cover (not '64-'66). Having looked at seven 40's and twenty three 45 wagons circa 1963-1967, I never ever saw that 4 bolt deal under them.

Every single one had the 6 bolt pattern for the output cap.

If that one also has the Marlin gears and other one piece case gear sets-some of the OEM ones are wrong. Unlike split cases, the fiche/parts books SHOW the tooth count on the early gears. Bad editing I guess.

As for a split case 'for sure' system I know just enough to get me in trouble. There are 1.99:1 and 2.27+:1 stock cases but w/ out a gear calculator and staring at the part new in the box (with part number) I can't tell which one falls where. "

Rick...already noted in the link above...heh heh Not sure how long ago you added that, likely from the LCML.

Despite the fact that the magazine that did this article screwed up, the general idea is correct with regards to brittle or not....

okey its the 70-75 case, actually 70-73 for a 3-speed. can I narrow it down any further? On the output side of the case, it has these #'s stamped into it: 84721 and under that it has: 213

pn 34111
you will never in your lifetime see one of these cases.  Not even used on FJ25's.

Rick, was that supposed to read - Only used on FJ25's?
I get pn 34111 from the early parts book for the FJ25 and it looks just like this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom