Yard Find (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Carby has been rebuilt and just picked up. New kit and ultrasonic clean done. I might have to do a bit more work to it yet as I thought that the steel parts would have come up a bit cleaner.
IMG_1644.JPG

Hi Ken
My carby came back with all the metal parts looking the same as yours .
I have the name of a good Zinc / gold finishing man.
Three days and some folding cash will have those parts looking new.

Good to see your back and getting on with your project.
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Well managed to get my finger out and get a bit more done to the tub today. Sanded a side back and gave it a hit of rattle can undercoat just for protection until I can get it done properly.
IMG_1675.JPG
IMG_1676.JPG
IMG_1679.JPG
IMG_1680.JPG

Hi Ken
That's one straight tub for its age.
Is it an all sanded finish or were you tempted into blasting?
What bit is next on your list to make old look new again?
My project is at a stop again as I'm in China till this Thursday coming.
I'm hoping to be able to take the forty for a wheel alignment next week. Then it's getting close for that first trip.
In saying that I still have some small issues to sort. One being the new aftermarket fuel pump with the snapped in two leaver arm.
That will teach me for buying after market.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers Peter

...via IH8MUD app

Thanks Pete, Yeah I am pretty impressed with the tub. I am going to do as much as I can by hand sanding as I have a week off work at the moment. I will still get the underneath, firewall, and foot well area blasted just cause it is so fiddly to do. Once the tub is blasted I will then get a few small bits of rust fixed up before painting. I have ordered a new set of tub mounts for her and once I get the tub finished, blasted, painted I will fit the tub to the chassis. Once this is done I will then look at the electrics and run all the wiring through before going any further as it will be easier to do all the wiring while it is only a tub sitting there.

IMG_1683.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG

Hi Ken
Studying your photos and noticed you still have calking compound in your cowl panel joints.
Now is the time to remove all the old compound .
I re calked after 2 pac etch priming .
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

OK another side completed but I think that I am going to have to start cutting some steel away and see what is behind the corner panels. Might tackle this tomorrow.
Tub13.JPG
Tub14.JPG
Tub15.JPG
Tub16.JPG
Tub17.JPG

Not quite mate but it is getting there. I may have just sourced a sand blasting cabinet and portable sand blaster that I can borrow from a mate here in Cooktown so that I can finish the last bit off myself. Cant wait to get the top coat on the tub :clap::clap::clap:

OK holidays are almost over for a little while so there shouldnt be too many more posts about the rebuild as I am sure that you are all getting sick and tired of seeing my posts. However got the rear section cut out this morning and now just got to get a new section fabricated up and put back in place.
Tub21.JPG
Tub22.JPG
Tub23.JPG
Tub24.JPG
Tub25.JPG

Here is the cross member which needs to be rebuilt.
Tub26.JPG
Tub27.JPG

There is only one way to attack rust and that it cut it out and be aggressive otherwise you are just wasting your time and it will come back. As for the workshop attire thats a mate who is helping me with the rebuild. However mine isnt much different. LOL.

I like it, not only did you kill the rust, but you killed its wife, children, two neighbors and a couple random passerbys - which is the right way, I think everyone has cut "just enough" off, then spend their days chasing holes when they try to weld the new stuff on because they didn't get all the rust.:cool:

don't get me wrong, I completely embrace the shorts style, even though it does come with some added pain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom