Yakima Roof Rack Fairing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed a 38" roof rack fairing last night. I think it made the wind noise worse. I am going to try a 44" fairing. This I think will help with the wind noise. Let me know what you all think.

Used U-Bolts purchased from Lowes, and dipped them in Plasti Dip..... Turned out better than I thought it would.
FJ fairing01.JPG
FJ fairing02.JPG
FJ Fairing03.JPG

Chewy,
I think another plan would be to get a piece of lexan plastic and cut it to the exact size you want, and mount directly to the side bars.

Simple and clean is always better. Keep going! :cheers:

I happen to have this fairing from my Camry's ski/bike rack... I like the way the Yakima bar mounted to the roof rack using the U-Bolt, but I think that fairing is too small....

chewey46 said:
...but I think that fairing is too small....

or it make the Cruiser look HUGE.;)

I drilled mine

I used the same size faring and I agree it is too small.I drilled my roof rack where there is an existing hole on top.Drilled through the bottom of the bar and just bolted the yakima cross bar to my roof rack.I originally put the bar on top of the roof rack,but that made the faring stand up to straight.I added a bar to the bottom like yours and attached the faring there.I now have a bar bolted to the top and the bottom.I may have to get the little clip on faring for the top bar as it still makes wind noise.
I bolted two more yakima cross bars on top.One in the back and one in the middle.I need them for my kayaks and canoes.Funny when your loaded up with boats the cross bars don't make any wind noise.I guess when they are empty the wind noise is just telling you to load up and go play.Sorry no pic's,I'll get my camera out today and take some shots.
When is the factory air dam and lights coming out ?I think that would work better as it goes all the way across.Cheers.

Wind noise with Columbus Roof Tent

Hi,

It sounds like I have a tea kettle strapped to my roof rack now :frown: . I mounted the Columbus Roof Top Tent to my African Outback rack (on the platform, not the rail) It is about 3" from the top of the roofline and almost even with the top of the windshield in the front. They are all mounted to the 100 Series.

I'm planning on building my own wind faring, not having much experience, I think you just need to deflect the wind away from the turbulent areas (roof rack and other objects sticking out from the roof).

Any thin plastic material can be used and obtained from TAP plastics or Mc Master Carr. Polypropylene or Lexan will work, it must be UV resistant unless you want it cracking in a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom