WTT 1976 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to trade my daily driver 1976 FJ40 for something 2005+ with less than 125k miles. It does not have to be a 4x4 but I am not looking for a coupe or sedan (SUV or Truck only). I have one last weekend project ahead and will have pictures & full description up soon.

1976 FJ40
Original Running Gear
2" Lift w/ new BFG 33" on factory wheels
It is only missing a few parts (rear jump seats, radio, & interior dome light lens)

(ignore the fact that they bumperettes and side-view mirrors were off for the attached picture)
IMG_20150214_141129_resized.jpg

:( :crybaby:

Darn, I have an 2003 limited 4Runner doesn't quite make the cut! Looks nice!

Nice looking 40 there. Good Luck.

I would be interested in vehicles in the $10-15k range putting my value at $14k. I could add as much as a grand on top of my trade and take as much as $4k with your trade if it was the right vehicle.

Why not listed on eBay with a high reserve. Sell it you could rent a car while you shop for one to buy. If it's as clean as it looks might get over $20K and come money ahead.

I am just a simple guy with simple needs. I don't need to find the highest price or deal with selling it on a national market. I think I have put a fair value on it and I have yet to see an FJ40 (for under $45k) that is as clean as it looked.

I consider myself a simple guy too. Have a late model Sequoia and 07 Highlander I could use a DD but prefer a 3rd generation 4Runner. That might made me a even simpler guy. But I also consider myself realistic. Makes for sense to me to go to a bigger market than trying to make a trade with group that mainly drive 80 series (which is not what you want). As your probably finding out even a nice FJ40 does not make a good DD in the valley, even worse with a family. Murf who is probably the closet to using one as a DD drives his 80 series most of the time and his FJ40 is equipped with power steering, A/C, V8 and longer springs for a better ride. Your value for a restored FJ40 is below fair market value anywhere. I personally would opt to sell it out right and then buy something I wanted rather then something that would work. Having a rental would give you time to shop around for a while until you just what you wanted. I agree of your value of $45K as finding anything as nice and then probably something that was rusted and restored. If I didn't already have way to many 40s I'd consider trading for the Highlander with under 15K miles and parked in a garage. Belongs to my mom who hasn't driven in about six years and rarely gets used.

I would hope the value you set is not taking a loss on the 40? If your not it does show it is possible to restore one without spending a ton of $. Secret is starting with 40 that has little to no rust.

Thanks, there is certainly truth in that. I have never heard of a barn find 15k miles 07 Highlander. So rare it sounds intriguing.

While not really a barn find it is a real garage find. It was parked outside in NV for a little less then two years but since then I've parked it in the garage. Typical grandma car. Had three layers of floor mats in the front. Now just use a single rubber mat. Front seat have covers from new (Sheep skin look a like from Walmart I'm guessing). Middle row seats have large bath towels covering them. My mom complained my bother in-law had to pull up the third row seats when she first bought it so I've made it a point to never open them. Wasn't until two years ago when my oldest bought a 08 Highlander I seen how they work in the first generation Highlander. My mom bought the Highlander new in Nov of 06. She was living with my sister in NV. We moved her in with us in Sept. 08 after my father past in the VA home in Boulder. On the trip here it rolled over 10K miles. Miles were from her daily visits to my dad. She was 85 at the time and shouldn't have been driving. After moving in with us on Fridays she would go to the hair dresser and Walmart. That lasted a little over a year until she stopped driving. We use it to take her places since she likes to ride it. Now she gets out very little and I make a effort to drive it to keep everything lubed. Since buying a 3rd generation 4Runner I really have to make a effort since it's become my favorite around town ride. At it's current rate it will have added five thousand mile in Sept after being here seven years. Besides my mom being upset if I got rid or her car my wife would kill me if I got another LC. Getting the 4Runner was really a fluke since we intended not to buy anymore vehicles. I'm also not the type to get something and then flip it for a profit. Also have a couple of my kids and sister in-law asking what the plans are for the car. Will be interesting what we end up doing with it.

Good luck with your hunt.

congratulations on the sale :cheers:

:crybaby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom