WTF was Cummins thinking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpassmore

Site *****
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
brettpassmore.com
I have a 1998.5 24 valve ISB 5.9l. I seem to have a bad oil pressure sender, but Cummins has 2 senders on the engine. (Apparently - as I have only found 1 so far) - one for the ECU and one for the gauge.

Turns out the original oil sender for the gauge was a resister-type that sends an electronic signal of certain values to the gauge. It was fully analog, where the meter would move from low to high, according to the pressure it sensed.

The ECU sender is a digital sender, 1 or 0. either it has good pressure or it doesn't. +55 psi or nothing. Turns out the ECU will fall to a cripple mode if this one fails.

Now, Cummins in their infinite wisdom has chosen to switch the analog sender with the digital one. As you can guess, this creates basically an idiot light out of the gauge.

Why? I found an International part number for a sender that is similar to the original Cummins part number since Cummins no longer sells the old unit.

My Gauge is pegged to +120 when ignition is on. Im hesitant to start buying all theses senders with nor recourse. Cummins tells me to goto the idiot light option. i dont like that.

Part Numbers:

1. Old Cummins Sender: 3408428
2. New International Sender: 584051C2
3. New Cummins Sender/Sensor: 4076930
4. New Cummins Sensor Harness: 3164755 (req if using new sensor)

And extra numbers that might be useful:

4088390 - this seems to be an alternate Cummins part that will substitute the original, but Cummins doesn't cross-reference the ISB with this unit.

Also, Cummins part number 4921511 seems to be another OE replacement, but once again, Cummins doesn't cross it.

Reference: See here, and here.

Last edited:
Yer being a little hard on the Cummins..............you could have a 6.0 powerchoke son.......

Basically that is what I did - on the opposite end.
I found an International part number (that turned out to be a VDO sender) and it worked fine.
15 min fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom