WTF is up with the advertisements on mud (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is it just me or is anyone else getting annoyed by the advertisements… I'm not even clicking on some of the advertisements and still they come up! I'd be willing to pay a few bucks a month to avoid this nuisance.

It's likely the ad network. Some of them have started being really sketchy in order to turn a better profit. It gets hard for site owners to find a reputable one anymore that pays anything decent.

I've wanted to get a Silver Star for a little while but do not know how. Instructions or contact info somewhere?

Also, the ads on mobile make the site literally unusable. It doesn't matter if you click them, they take you away from Mud and the back button doesn't take you back; you can't get back.

I've wanted to get a Silver Star for a little while but do not know how. Instructions or contact info somewhere?

Also, the ads on mobile make the site literally unusable. It doesn't matter if you click them, they take you away from Mud and the back button doesn't take you back; you can't get back.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/account/upgrades

Speaking of mobile, what happened to our app? Using mobile browsers makes me wanna gouge my eyeballs out. Tapatalk has always worked well for me.

Speaking of mobile, what happened to our app? Using mobile browsers makes me wanna gouge my eyeballs out. Tapatalk has always worked well for me.

I think Woody killed it about a year ago? Some kinda insurmountable/impractical tech issues??

There are so many threads on this it isn't even funny. Woody killed it and it isn't coming back.

Grand idea. Happy to support the forum.

If you are having ad issues, screenshots help. I aggressively attempt to block issues.

Popups are rare, but do happen on mobile. One popup can take hours to chase down...BTDT...not fun. I get 1-2 per weekend.

If you are regularly seeing popup type ads, then you most likely are not logged in. Ads are tiered, with "guest" users seeing the most, 0-10 posts seeing some, 10-250 seeing less, 250+ seeing still less, and supporting Silver/Gold seeing the least. Gold has the built-in option to switch ads off (as to Vendors) Silver should only see the top 728x90 (320x50 on mobile) ad position, which is primarily targeted by our great group of 80+ supporting Vendors.

The ad setup isn't perfect, and likely never will be. I am constantly trying to make adjustments and tweaks, some work as I intend and other tweaks do not. I attended an online Google DFP invite-only class yesterday (8 DFP users + 2 DFP experts teaching) and am working through their recommendations. I also made some new contacts to assist with ad-blocking and the irritating mobile ads that seem to jump in for a hour over the weekend. (sadly, I could have taught the class, and I stumped the instructors more than once with my questions)

Again, screen shots and URL copies. Closing your browser window and then quickly checking your recent history should provide 3-4 URL's for me to add to the 260+ that are already on the block list.

I've made recent adjustments to mobile site setups on the server end. Specifically, I was noting major issues with the Verizon network. This week's proxy tweaks seem to have nearly 100% solved that irritation. I've noted 2 issues in the past week, instead of 2-3 issues each time I used my phone (which I do regularly). Speed is noticeably improved as well (Verizon/Android) and I hope that's the case for other users too.

Ads often target iOS/Android/Windows differently, as well as Spring/Verizon/ATT/T-Mobile/etc differently. As an Android/Verizon user, there is a great deal of added challenge to chase down issues that occur on a different mobile operating system and different network...much less a different part of the country.

that makes sense, I'm just using the regular site not the mobile site… Tap a talk does not work for me… I'm an iPhone on the latest system of iOS

A lot of times I'm bothered because when I click "remember me" it doesn't… So I always have to keep logging in, sometimes I'm lazy and do not log in again I guess that's when I get most advertisements!

I have honestly NEVER had to relogin once I've done it once...Chrome/iOS, Chrome/Android or Chrome/Windows 7 (I think). You might check your permissions limitations you have set in your browser, or your virus software, or your firewall. Sadly, there are SO many combinations of that stuff, it's impossible to say "click this" and know it will be corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom