Wrench's Red Rig... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GW Nugget

Do the best you can with what you have...
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I have seen a lot of 80 series rigs & this this super low geared red 80 on 40"s just screams out to me "Hardcore 80".

@Wrench here on mud has been a member since 2003 but never did a build thread that I know of. I guess it wasn't cool back in the day. So his build is spread out over hundreds & hundreds of pages on ih8mud. I have learned here & there while doing searches that his "Red Macine" is worthy of a build thread.
I'm posting this up so others can see & enjoy this Red Machine.

This is what I know so far. If it's wrong let me know:

6" Slee lift
Stock bump stops
12" Doetsch Tech 8000 series shocks
5:29s
Marks Crawl box 112 to 1
40" IROKs black steel 17x9 4.5" BS wheels
Chrome moly axles
Hydro assist steering.

I invite you @Wrench to tell you story or others to do the same if you know Chris or have wheeled with him please tell your story.

In a PM @cruiserland wrote:
"Sure, I know wrench. He rolled that truck ten years ago and I spliced on a roof doors etc from a donor, thing was squashed flat!"

Official 37" and up picture thread

Last edited:
mmmm sub'd

He's got a mark's crawl box in there as well. First time I met Chris he had blown something in it up and had to use AAA to get home :lol:

That was probably 9 years ago or so.

That was almost roll number 2 at the end of the one video. I would imagine he had to change his shorts after that one!

Last edited:
He's got a mark's crawl box in there as well. First time I met Chris he had blown something in it up and had to use AAA to get home :lol:

That was probably 9 years ago or so.
And I can't thank you enough for letting me use your AAA to get home. You were a life saver.

That's not why I brought it up, but yes, you're welcome :D

Well, want to post up some more details on your truck?

@Wrench will you share with us how you did your hydro asist steering?

Here's my set up.

hydroassistpic.jpg

IMG_20130504_161308.jpg

I"m running stock steering box. Ram is from Surplus Center 1.5x10 part # 9-7258-10. I got all fittings and hoses from them as well. Mount for the axle is a Dana 60 hydro assist mount 6.25 length. Got that off ebay. No steering cooler. I added a bigger reservoir from Speedway Motors. Had my steering box sent to West Texas for a rebuild and porting.

Slick, never seen a rear ram like that.

I see you are running stock arms... are you using plates & caster bushings?

Did you want to add too or correct the mod specs in the 1st post?

Last edited:
Running Slee plates with stock bushings. Rubber bushings flex better than poly.

Keep in mind that with the ram ports to the side like that can cause bleeding issues. Not guaranteed, but it can.

Btw, i use the same ram on my 60. It works well and was cheap, but the rod ends leave a bit to be desired...

Keep in mind that with the ram ports to the side like that can cause bleeding issues. Not guaranteed, but it can.

Btw, i use the same ram on my 60. It works well and was cheap, but the rod ends leave a bit to be desired...
I had little choice on which way the ports faced.

How come? The mount you used?

That and the eye is welded to the body.

I ended up running mine in single shear to orient the ram.

It's only a issue with bleeding the air out of the system. It may not be a concern at all.

Is hydro assist has work for years...

After watching those vids again, all I can say is you need better spotters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom