Would you run 18" wheels if you could have Tundra sized brakes? (1 Viewer)

Would you run 18" wheels if it allowed for Tundra-sized brakes?

• Yes

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 54.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

18" wheels might limit your ability to air down--lack of side wall concerns me about pinching the tire. I've seen some slick 17's out there.

18's on a cruiser are akin to putting a whale tail on a Prius

Zona

My plan is probably something like I mentioned in my post. Maybe work with an aftermarket brake company to find a 380-400x32mm two piece rotor and find a suitable hat or have one made. Then it's just a matter of a spacer and using the stock 80 calipers and aggressive pads. I will be using a 20" wheel so I have a lot of room to play with. I originally thought about going to a tundra caliper as was seen in another thread but then you open up all kinds of issues with master cylinder diameter, volume, etc. the 32mm rotor is quite common and shouldn't be any problem finding a suitable rotor, the hat is the issue. I am sure it will need to be custom made :-/. I am kind of at my limit as to how many more custom projects I can take on without a job. Lol

So @scottryana what are you doing for brakes on your new 80? Still TBD? I forgot what you listed in your thread

Last edited:
I will keep my 15";) but would love disk brakes in back.

Are there even any disc brakes that could possibly fit with the 15" wheels? Maybe something off a mid-80's Chevy?

People have a tough time paying for a $15 vent hose let alone a big brake Tundra kit.

80 series= mini truck world. :meh:

You ought to see how bad that is in the Studebaker world!!! They call themselves CASO's (Cheap-A$$ Studebaker Owners)...... And you can buy WHOLE cars for replacement parts for a couple hundred dollars!

Are there even any disc brakes that could possibly fit with the 15" wheels? Maybe something off a mid-80's Chevy?
I have not really looked into it. I am still baselining her and have not really looked over the break yet. Maybe new pads and shoes will help things out.

SO I would be looking at something like this:

http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-1335557...tor-slotted-left-380x32mm-31-836-1101-87.html

M78515154.jpg

Or run tundra brakes with 16" wheels, like hundreds of 3rd gen 4runner guys are doing :eek:

I would not because it is not a benefit to me for my vehicle lifestyle. If I was working the truck HARD and really needed stopping powere, I MAY consider it. But if I need that much for brakes, the HP is way too low.

I'm currently working on a 14" front rotor setup but have been delayed by a move and busy with work. I'm still getting my new shop set up and hope to make some progress in the next month.
I've been wheeling the 18" Tundra wheels for awhile and they work great.
14" rotors with 35s is close to the stock ratio for rotor to tire diameter and will be a huge improvement in my braking performance.
I split a stock rotor to use as a hat and will keep the stock calipers.
Borrego.Sandstone.jpg IMG_8910 copy.jpg IMG_8911 copy.jpg

I'm currently working on a 14" front rotor setup but have been delayed by a move and busy with work. I'm still getting my new shop set up and hope to make some progress in the next month.
I've been wheeling the 18" Tundra wheels for awhile and they work great.
14" rotors with 35s is close to the stock ratio for rotor to tire diameter and will be a huge improvement in my braking performance.
I split a stock rotor to use as a hat and will keep the stock calipers.
View attachment 1096865 View attachment 1096866 View attachment 1096867
did you ever make progress on these? I am looking into doing something similar, the only difference is i will be running 17" tundra wheels so I think a max of around a 13" rotor to fit
thanks
Ben

I'd go bigger brakes if there was a bolt on alternative and upsize wheels without blinking. I've been away with 80's towing and it doesn't take long to induce brake fade on bitumen down a long hill, especially with an auto.

I think it was front range Offroad is making a kit to run tundra brakes on a mini axle , could prob make it for 80 axle maybe if ya called them

Will always stick with 16" because that's the stock size--so if I bust one (or 2) back of beyond, a same-size replacement ain't hard to find. As to brakes, the ones mine came with are great--especially considering the weight of this beast (I'm running 33s). I've seen brake complaints, but have none myself.

did you ever make progress on these? I am looking into doing something similar, the only difference is i will be running 17" tundra wheels so I think a max of around a 13" rotor to fit
thanks
Ben

I finished the hats and just received the calipers. I'm out this weekend but will work on it next week.

IMG_7042 copy.jpg

IMG_7044 copy.jpg

IMG_7047 copy.jpg

I finished the hats and just received the calipers. I'm out this weekend but will work on it next week.

NSMf7Me.gif

I've been bugging Wilwood to at least make some hats for us so we can piece together our own kit. Hope this works out for you.

I'm a big believer in OEM parts, but you already knew that.
I just finished doing all 4 corners of my LX450. New rotors, new pads, rebuilt all 4 calipers, changed all soft lines, ran about 2 pints of brake fluid through the system.
While I never really had complaints about the brakes on this truck, it is still somewhat new to me and I am going through each system as time permits. The freakin' truck STOPS now. It's awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom