Would you run 18" wheels if you could have Tundra sized brakes? (1 Viewer)

Would you run 18" wheels if it allowed for Tundra-sized brakes?

• Yes

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 54.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm just curious. Everyone wants 16" and sometimes 17" wheels for their Cruiser because you don't really need to go bigger since bigger brakes aren't available.

So, would you run bigger wheels if you could fit a Tundr-sized brake set in there?

If not, why? Tire sizes? Wheel options? What are your thoughts?

Edit: Thought I should add this: I know the brakes are sized appropriately for the vehicle and its capabilities. However, if you have the supercharger or an engine swap, you have increased your towing capacity. Would this make sense to you with more power?

Last edited:
I would not. YMMMV; but I find my brakes to work very well. Also like as much "tire" between the wheel and the road and last is 18" wheels are spendy in say a 35" size.

Bang for buck I think 17's are the easiest compromise with a good brakes. Not sure I would just to have tundra brakes.

I guess the smaller sidewall is the biggest downer for me but where I live it's not a big deal because it's not usually rocky terrain. I think the bigger brakes would be really nice. There are a ton of wheel choices but many or most are cheap wheels and look terrible. There must be some good choices though

Thaanks @retrofive I edited the top post to add a little about where my thoughts came from.
I agree that in most cases, the bigger brakes aren't really needed. But, hey, anything to gain an edge...

I defiantly would but how to get tundra brakes under there.

Last edited:
I wouldn't. I've never thought the fzj brakes were that bad. I prefer the look of smaller wheels on trucks/suvs unless they are built for street

Tundra brakes would be cool. I have had thoughts of using 6 lug Tacoma disk brakes on mine but never looked into it anymore. My brakes are getting strained pretty badly, and since going to 17" I could fit bigger brakes if I could find something. I know they make a disk conversion for the rear semi float which might be something I would buy, unless a bigger option was available...if new oem Toyota pads don't help performance.

I have 17" wheels for my Tundra and they are sweet forged wheels!

They have those drilled in the 6-bolt pattern for 4Runner now too!

I defiantly would but how to get tundra breaks under there.

This is just to see if anyone would actually do it. I've been thinking about how to upgrade the hubs and knuckle to the newer 5-bolt pattern. I was thinking about doing this a while back so I could use Tundra 18" wheels. I hadn't thought about the brakes until more recently. Guys load up their trucks with all kinds of stuff and that degrades braking performance. My idea is to increase the brake size(probably needs the bigger booster too) to help with that.

Right now, its just a thought experiment and maybe I'll get around to figuring out how to make it work. I have a feeling that the knuckle and possibly axle need to be upgraded too. At that point its a whole axle re-design and I don't know if I want to go that far down the rabbit hole.

Before anyone brings up the LC 105, please don't. I'm already trying to figure out if those parts can be swapped to an 80.

I think it's a worthwhile concept if just to study viability. Good idea. I will follow along, gotta love new tech!

That might be about the size where they stop being wheels and start being rims. Of course, used to be, anything over 33" was ghetto.

IMHO. That is going further than needed.

If it where me. I would contact one of the disc brake manufacturers and look at say a 380-390mm disc that same width as we have. Preferably a two piece disc. Find out if there is a 6-bolt hat that would work for us. You bolt the rotor to the hat, put the hat on the hub, and just have a flat spacer built to space the caliper out and bam you are done.

IMHO. That is going further than needed.

If it where me. I would contact one of the disc brake manufacturers and look at say a 380-390mm disc that same width as we have. Preferably a two piece disc. Find out if there is a 6-bolt hat that would work for us. You bolt the rotor to the hat, put the hat on the hub, and just have a flat spacer built to space the caliper out and bam you are done.
So you mean stock caliper clamping a larger diameter rotor giving more brake force? How tough would it be to do rotor AND more caliper? Especially one from another toyota (tundra)?

So you mean stock caliper clamping a larger diameter rotor giving more brake force? How tough would it be to do rotor AND more caliper? Especially one from another toyota (tundra)?

Tundra rotors AND calipers... that's why I think the booster might be necessary too. Nice thing is easy availability of parts...

The scrap yard parts source would be really nice but we are probably talking 2008 and newer parts source. Might not be a lot out there. I would be interested in a hybrid (aftermarket rotors/Toyota calipers) if the Toyota rotor convert was too much in parts and $. That's not to say I wouldn't go all new parts, just keeping the used part swap in mind

So @scottryana what are you doing for brakes on your new 80? Still TBD? I forgot what you listed in your thread

I wouldn't. 18s are more expensive tires. 80 series brakes do pretty good being the rear rotors are vented. If you want more performance you could get drilled rotors. Expedition guys load 80s up like crazy and do fine with the stock brakes. If you are maxing out the stock brakes, then you are probably maxing out the stock axles. So you might as well do dana 60s or bigger then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom