Would you purchase of the KDSS valve looked like this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy community.

I am in the process of searching for a 2011+ 200 series. I found a 2011 with under 50k on the odometer. I get a PPI done, and it's a bit rushed on the bottom. I read the forums and think, I'll be OK, some elbow grease and rust oleum or a trip to the body shop for proper care and she will be fine. Then the tech pulls the shroud covering the KDSS valve and here's what it looks like:

AADdTQJCti-joWJlrzgdIWG0a

I am not too worried about exhaust, but I am concerned by the flaking rust on the KDSS valve. Am I just being a worry-wart? Please let me know you thoughts. Thank you

If you're ever planning on modding the truck I'd either get them to replace it or look for another one altogether. Be patient, less rusty specimens are out there...

And thank you for the advice. It's like a needle in a haystack though....

i would absolutely not buy that. Looks like it came from the bottom of the sea.

That was funny, but it does bear some resemblance to the Titanic, doesn't it? I suppose being in AZ you don't get exposed to rust often.

Would you trust the dealer to replace that?
I'm not sure anyone but a dealer could replace it. If it's not replaced under warranty it had better be on the seller's dime. Once replaced, you can keep it clean, lubed and protected. That said, I'm still confident you can find another sample without as much rust underneath.

I see you're in Houston? Wow. It should NOT be that hard to find a rust free truck...

Here in Southern California, I didn't even see a rusty one when I was looking. Mine was perfect at nearly 7 years old... In your snow-free climate, I would think you'd have decent specimens...?

Pass for sure - not alot of LC's locally but they are there if you're patient and can move quickly once you find one.

Holy cow!!!!!

RUN

Wow, that looks like it traveled the salty winter roads of Nebraska!

I see you're in Houston? Wow. It should NOT be that hard to find a rust free truck...

Here in Southern California, I didn't even see a rusty one when I was looking. Mine was perfect at nearly 7 years old... In your snow-free climate, I would think you'd have decent specimens...?

IN Houston its not that difficult to find a rust free truck, but a 2011+ TLC has been. As such, this was from Ohio.

IN Houston its not that difficult to find a rust free truck, but a 2011+ TLC has been. As such, this was from Ohio.

Ah... Understood. Perhaps Japanese brands aren't as popular there as in Kalifornistan? ;)

Last edited:
Thank you all!
I passed.
As luck would have it, one showed up in Houston that I pulled the trigger on the day I saw it come up early last week. There are plenty out there, but semi-locally and priced right for year/mileage has been an exercise in patience. It took 3 full months

Ah... Understood. Perhaps Japanese brands aren't as popular there as Kalifornistan? ;)

no doubt Tahoes outnumber LC's by 10,000 to 1 down here.....having said that, I believe the Camry has more "USA" in it than any other car/truck available...just dont tell that to the natives

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom