Working on a center console...need a bit of help

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by hindsight, Dec 5, 2011.

1. hindsight

hindsight Supporting Vendor

Hey, I am beginning to brainstorm some ideas for a center console and I need some pictures and measurements (My FJ is still in a bunch of pieces).

Could someone send me measurements and pictures of the center console area for both a pre1979 FJ40 and post 1979 FJ40.

I really need pictures of rigs with stock seats and console area. The more pictures the better, any variations between the years (that I am not aware of would help too).

We are taking an entirely different approach to what is out there, basically...I am not going the route of a complex vault style console (there is already plenty of those to choose from).
    I can't reveal too much but I am planning something simple with removable main compartment storage and with optional modules to customize to your needs.

If all goes well, we will see a product that is $100 less than the more complex consoles (educated guess at this point).

If there are specific features that you would like to see, I will try to offer those options.

Thanks,

Doc

2. Blueegg

Blueegg

Doubt this is what your looking for, but this is a photo of my mostly home-made wood console on a Tuffy base with cup holders. It is in a '78 with stock seats and CCOT seat belts.
    It works for me and was inexpensive, but would like one better that was lockable.
    DSC00793.jpg

3. hindsight

What I need is a measurement of the area between the seats and a picture of the seat bars without anything on it.

Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the console unit that you have?

Thanks though,

Doc

4. bikersmurf

bikersmurf

In a 74, there is room for a 7.75" wide (nominal 8") Tuffy box between the seats if the acorn nuts are changed out. The one sold for a 40 is 6.5" or 6.5+ an 8" stereo box. The 8" unit touches the seat cushions on either side of it.

For more dimensions... Console, Tuffy
    The chief complaint seems to be that Tuffy boxes are too tall.

It's good to see you're wanting to go a different direction and not just make annother cheap knockoff. My first console was a tool box. I modified it to open to the rear... And padded the top. It was +/- 8" deep and then padded with 2" of foam. It worked well. The one down side was that it prevented sleeping across the front seats.
    :cheers:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  5. hindsight

I appreciate the dimensions, based on that information and my initial thoughts is that what I have planned will fit.

Our system should have 1/2 the height of the other units, the main storage unit should have 11 x 7 x 6 inches of room. I am planning on incorporating the option of cup holders and a small tray towards the front. The cup holders will have the capacity to be switched out with other modules as we find new uses for the area.

Much like your tool box, this will be very utilitarian. In a similar theme to our other products...it will feature a low cost main storage module that can be easily removed for security or restocking.

Any input, ideas or pictures is always welcome.

Doc

6. Biscuit

Biscuit My other rig is on Mars SILVER Star

I'll try to unbolt the OEM center console from my 1974 this weekend and get some pictures. Do you have a preference if I annotate the measurements or would it be easier to just set a ruler in the image?

7. rusty_tlc

rusty_tlc Dain Bramaged Member

Those of us with dual T-case could use some storage too. I'll try to remember to snap a few pictures of my truck when I get home. The second shifter barely clears the stock seat mounting bar.

8. hindsight

You can annotate the measurements....Thanks! The more pictures that I can supply to my engineer...the more likely that I won't have to pay for extra prototypes :)

Doc

9. hindsight

Absolutely! I am glad that you mentioned it...it is easy to make those accomodations this early in the process.

Doc

10. bikersmurf

bikersmurf

One benifit to the tool box was that to passers by it just looked like a padded arm wrest. The lock was on the front, and likely could have been broken off by a fifth grader, but I never had any problems. If it looks like a safe/vault people are more inclined to want to look inside of it.

Where the box failed, was that it was not durable enough to stand up to years of kids climbing over it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  11. bikersmurf

bikersmurf

Came across this one...

12. Sea Knight

Sea Knight SILVER Star

I don't know if you'd call this a feature, but it would be great if there was a console for '79+ models that would accommodate the rear heater, allowing it to remain in place while providing access to the heater controls.

13. singletrackjunkie

singletrackjunkie

x2 I'd definitely be in for a console that would work with the factory rear heater but I don't currently have my rig so I can't give you any measurements.

14. hey you

hey you SILVER Star

Any thoughts on incorporating a remote CB head and/or a speaker and 12V plug into the console. I put a speaker under the cup holder on my Tuffy box and a remote CB head under the console. With the radio feature, wiring was a hassle. A plug and play option (not sure what that would look like) would be sweet. IMHO...

15. hindsight

Should not be a problem to add an area for the CB unit and to make an adapter for the FJs with heater lines.

Out of curiosity...show me the type of CB unit that you are thinking of.

Doc

16. hey you

hey you SILVER Star

I am currently using the Cobra 75 WXST. It works ok on the trail and it gives a little more room in my FJ40. I also plan to use a Ham radio next year.

http://cobra.com/Manuals/75WXST.pdf

17. bikersmurf

bikersmurf

79ish and newer have a heater mounted beneath the console... Not just heater lines going under it.

18. hindsight

There must be variations...as I recall my 79 had heater lines with the actual heater placed more in the cargo area.

Doc

19. Fast Eddy

Fast Eddy SILVER Star

The center console heater was an option starting in 8/80, but the other heater was around until the end.

My $0.02. If you're making removable trays, make one with a good place for a gun. Zombie apocalypse and all...

Make the lock a real lock. Check out the difference between a tuffy and the ccot and other ones.

I agree that tuffys are too tall.

I'm probably going to work on a lid for my stocker and brace the bottom so it won't bend in half every time the dog climbs over it, but if you build something nice, people will buy it.

20. hindsight

The system that I am working on will definitely not suit everyones needs....after having my truck stolen and pillaged for everything in it, I realized that the only true answer to security is to be able to take the items with you.

The option of a locking console is already out there and I don't feel that I could improve upon that concept anymore than what is already available. Our approach is going to be very simple by supplying a cubby (so to speak) for a readily available inexpensive water resistant container. Much like our MOLLE bags, this will allow the option to have multiple containers for different purposes that can be switched out easily.

I am thinking of different modules forward and aft of the main storage for numerous purposes...we will see what we come up with. :)

Yes there will be some sort of pistol attachment:bounce:

Doc