1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Won't Idle - Electrical Problem?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Guest, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

On Friday morning I went out to go to work and the Cruiser would not start (ran fine on Thursday). Starter works, coil sparks, distribtuor seems fine, and it will even start the engine, if I hold the key to "Start". However after the engine turns over and starts, when I let go of the key to run "On", the engine dies. Lights, wipers, etc. work normaly with the key "On", so I doubt it is a ignition switch issue (maybe?).

My only other thought is a faulty regulator. Do anyone think that could be the cause the problem I am having? How do I use a voltmeter to check if the regulator is functioning properly?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom
    12/75 FJ40
    Stock Semi-trans ignition, Holley carb

2. toddslater

toddslater SILVER Star

Sounds like your ballast resistor has called it a day. Easy to check, bypass it and see if she stays running. If yes, replace it if not put a new condensor in it...if still no luck I'd check the coil and maybe the ign switch itself.

3. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Yes, this is correct.

4. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Use to happen so often on my old mopars (Mostly Old Parts and Rust, or My Old Pig Ain't Runnin') that I carried a spare in the glove box.