Wolf killed near Salmon, ID

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by bigndn, Jun 29, 2009.

1. bigndn

bigndn

Wow, check out the size of this guy. I got the picture in an email and then googled it. I'm pretty certain this guy would take one look at any domesticated dog barking at it and not be intimidated.

Monster Canadian Grey Wolf >> Four Winds 10 - fourwinds10.com
  2. Big Bore Lover

Big Bore Lover SILVER Star

That has gotta be photochopped.....................
  3. bigndn

bigndn

No idea.
  4. Mars

Mars

[​IMG]

Yeah I dunno...looks suspicious to me.
  5. 73fj40lc

73fj40lc SILVER Star

It is photocropped. Look at the grass on the wolf's fur then at the grass on the ground. The grass on the fur alot larger than the grass on the ground. The size of that wolf would put him weighing close 200 lbs. The position of the wolf looks like it was laying on the ground when the photograph was taken. The proportions of the picture is just not right.
  6. bigndn

bigndn

I'm not going to say it's not photoshopped, but I have seen one in the wild. I saw it from approx 500 yards away across a wide meadow in the Moyie River Valley and there was never a doubt in my mind what it was. I've also seen plenty of wolf tracks in the snow and have seen many bigger than my hand with fingers spread. I have no doubt that a mature timber wolf could get get up to around 150 lbs.
  7. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P. Moderator

IMO the guys left arm is also a dead give-away. I've taken and edited thousands upon thousands of pictures and that picture is jacked.

And it's alone. There is never just "one" picture in situations like this.
  8. Atoyot1031

Atoyot1031

...the notorious worlf, BEWARE!!!
  9. Do you think it was brought down with a .22 pistol? :D
  10. bigndn

bigndn

Can you be specific about his left arm?

11. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P. Moderator

I'm not going to save it and crop it.

The way his left arm is out of place, and the appearance of an adjustment to that area to repeat the "wolf" fur, etc is what I see. It doesn't look natural, his shoulder is too high and forward with the angle he's leaning, etc.

His right leg calf area is also suspicious, and hell, the wolf and the hunter have different exposures if you ask me. The hunter is defined, the wolf is not. It is, IMO, and image where the hunter was likely holding something that the "worlf" replaced.
  12. bigndn

bigndn

Thanks for the explanation. I see what you're talking about. :cheers:
  13. MARLIN375

MARLIN375

It looks very suspect.

The wolfs belly fur is out of focus between in-focus side and hunter.

I see the hunters shadow but not the wolfs.
  14. IDave

IDave

Looked chopped to me, too. If one was killed near Salmon, it would be in the Idaho Fish and Game news that comes out every other day or so.
  15. bigndn

bigndn

Possibly.........I still haven't seen anything about the griz that was killed near Rose Lake, though. That was even in the local rag.
  16. IDave

IDave

17. AJP

AJP

Seems a little big - particularly the head. BUT we had an Irish Wolfhound that went around 170lbs and used to greet me and my brother by standing on his hind legs and placing his paws on our shoulders ... then bending DOWN his neck and head so he could lick us on the face... my brother is just over 6ft .. I am an inch less.
    If the guy in the photo is short around 5'5" and holding the animal away from his body ... a wide angle lens can add "size" to the trophy.
    So "maybe" with a winter coat.....BUT that head size is suspiciously large. I have been lucky and seen a few in the wild (Canada) but never very close - and NOTHING that looked near as big as this one - cause they are pretty good at avoiding people.
  18. I have been within 50 feet of two wolves in ID...both were about half the size of the one in the pic...assuming that is a normal sized man.

I will be about 60 miles west of Salmon in September in unit 20A chasing elk...hoping the wolves are all in town eating poodles!

Tim
  19. IDave

IDave

Despite what is claimed in the backwater bars, in Idaho, females: 60 to 80 pounds, males: 70 to 110 pounds. Rarely, unique northern Canadian and Alaskan individuals have topped out at 170.