wish me luck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

man cops like that are few and far between down here. i got one that pulled me with bald tyres, and i thought i was gone (brake sunk to the floor at that time too) he just asked me if the lights worked to my knowlege, i said yes, he said it must stop cause i pulled over, and gave me a "warning" and told me to get new front tyres (the backs were almost as bad) and said that he could have fined me. but would preffer me put the money into my rig than the government coffers.

but inspections aren't the main worry down here............

SPEED CAMERA'S

the buggers will pull you up doing 103 in a 100 zone, clear sunny day, no other cars around, no danger, straight road, and slightly down hill. they love the downhill stretches, they set up at the bottom

which is stupid because our design regulations state a speedo must be accurate to 10%. which means your speedo could legally read 100 when you get pinged for 110 km/h. and still have a legally working speedo.

ohh and it's like 200 bucks for a 3km/h breach.

that is where we get bent over

i would be rollin around with a ski mask on so they wouldnt have a pic of my face and then argue that there is a reasonalble doubt that its not you drivin. -- this would work in the US

if they cannot prove who was driving (by either a licence check if they pull you over, or a signed statement from the person driving, made after the fine is issued by mail) the person who the vehicle is registered to cops the fine and the points (in case you guys didn't know, we have 12 points on our licence, and if we do something illegal while driving, we lose points, up to 10 km/h over the limit is 1 point, running a stop sign is 3 points, yada yada) s

the photo's they get you with generally only contain your licence plate, and the speed registered. no need for driver proof.

get one of those photo resistent license plate covers so that the cameras cant get your number -- i know that works in the US for the red light cameras. i dont know of the size of you plates if they are like the European ones instead of the ones here in the US -- not sure if availble for those long plates

yes we have them here, but the cops all look for sus plate covers and radar detectors if they suspect you may have one. As for speedos being 10% out. It has been compensated for in the design rules so that even if the speedo is 10% out, the factory must make it so that at +10% on the speedo, the cars actual speed is still only 100kph. So in a cruiser when you are going indicated 100kph, your car may actually only be going 95 or so. So cruisers are really safe. Thats how they can legally justify the small speed fines.

Although there are bad cops everywhere, the majority seem to be concentrated in victoria. You look sideways at them and they'll shoot you. Most other places they are nice.

sam

We have the same here, except they don't stop you, the owner of the vehicle just receives the fine in the mail, and you can view the photo on the net or at the traffic department. Our number plates conform to a certain standard, anything other than regulation will bring down the might of the law.
The plates we use are designed to reflect your license number no matter what. My plate was totally covered with mud after a good muddying session the one day, naturally I had take some pictures of the rig in the muddy state for posterity. What I noticed was that the photo's taken when the flash went off, revealed the registration number thru the mud. Absolutely unbelievable, OK, the mud wasn't very thick, but you could not read it with the eye, but all was revealed with the camera.

Our traffic department now have camera's setup that read the license plate as you drive by, a computer then looks the plate up on the database to see if you have any outstanding tickets or warrants, and if you have, they pull you over and arrest you immedietly and impound the car.

s79bj40 i'd like to know where you got your info re the speedo readings, the ADR's do say + or - 10%.... mum's friend who calibrates speedos as a second job said that 80% of cars he's tested STRAIGHT FROM THE HOLDEN FACTORY are OVER 105 km/h when the speedo reads 100. about 20% straight from the ford factory are the same. he has contracts with the ford and holden dealers in the local area to test them. my cruiser, with 33's and stock gearing, the speedo is dead on.

it was a general concensus from one of the magasines and a cop i know. But was based solely on large nissans and toyota 4x4s. It mentioned nothing of cars. Especially not locally built ones.

But assuming 7.50r16 are the standard tyre fitted to all these vehicles, i fully beleive what i said based on these opinions and my own observations.

Sam

[quote author=s79bj40 link=board=1;threadid=4186;start=msg33596#msg33596 date=1061427221]
As for speedos being 10% out. It has been compensated for in the design rules so that even if the speedo is 10% out, the factory must make it so that at +10% on the speedo, the cars actual speed is still only 100kph.
sam
[/quote]

this is the info i was talking about, the ADR legislation that i read, and that mums friend talks about states that a speedo can be plus OR minus 10%, meaning that the speedo can be considered to be functioning legally, when your speedo reads 100, you may be doing 110. that states there is no compensation....

those damn speedo's should then use a 10% error factor meaning that if the speed limit was 100 then even at 110 you shouldnt get a ticket.

in the US just get your speedo calibrated and take that info to court and most the time it will be thrown out due to "faulty equipment"

yeah it SHOULD be like that, and if we got it calibrated and it was within ADR range, we would be told that we should have known this and tough luck... and if it was outside ADR specifications, we would have got the speeding ticket AND a roadworthy inspection notice

our traffic division sucks, all about the $$$

I'm so glad I live where I do! Loaded AR-15 in the back seat...SO?! I shoot coyotes, end of story. Smog what? It's a '78!

we have more firearm laws here than you can poke a stick at and no-one understands them fully,not even the ppl who created them. I think the difference is that our laws are not about safety or keeping order, they are about how much $$ the gov can make before mass protests. And seeings as apathy is the public pastime, some pretty strange laws get passed.

sam

A friend and I got pulled over in a small town that his grandfather nearly owns at 10:00 at night, he was 16, I was 14. We had 2 rifles and a shotgun in the pickup. I had one of the rifles in my lap. Earlier that night we had been looking around in a small house his grandfather owned and was renovating for a generator of his. (vacant house). Someone called the cops on us, and as we were passing back through the town three cop cars with 6 officers pulled us over. They didn't give one damn that it was late and we were underage to have firearms in the car and were suspects in a forced entry and robbery!
You must understand this is south GA during deer season. You're supposed to be 18 to be able to have a firearm in a vehicle. :D ::) :)
I swear I'm not a redneck. :-[ :p :flipoff2: :D
Other than the cruisers, and beautiful, expansive landscape, down under sounds like it can be a big drag when it comes to the trucks and guns. :'(

it can be, but the further west you go, the smaller the population is, and the less resources the police have to enforce the laws. And most police out wests realise that as long as people exercise some sort of control, nothing usually goes wrong. We have a 400000acre property in western qld that we can pratically do whatever we want on, but because its so far from anywhere, its always a mission getting to it with all our gear and fun stuff. And no-one out there offroads intentionally because of the condition of the roads and the amount of driving involved. And if anything goes wrong, you have to call the flying doctors in, and that takes hours.

Sam

[quote author=s79bj40 link=board=1;threadid=4186;start=msg35456#msg35456 date=1061956222]
it can be, but the further west you go, the smaller the population is, and the less resources the police have to enforce the laws. And most police out wests realise that as long as people exercise some sort of control, nothing usually goes wrong. We have a 400000acre property in western qld that we can pratically do whatever we want on, but because its so far from anywhere, its always a mission getting to it with all our gear and fun stuff. And no-one out there offroads intentionally because of the condition of the roads and the amount of driving involved. And if anything goes wrong, you have to call the flying doctors in, and that takes hours.

Sam
[/quote]
Well thats what that enormous roof rack is for isn't it? :D
But really, 400,000 acres is enough to explore for WEEKS and never see the same place twice. We should take an ih8mud caravan and just go explore the whole place! thats pretty cool sam

i have been getting round it for the last ten years and still havn't seen it all. And that roofrack reduced top speed by 10kph or more with a headwind, so i took it off after i made a swingout spare tyre carrier for the second spare tyre. I am missing being able to sleep on the roof though. That was exceptional. And yes everyone is invited to Milo if you get the chance :) not many people have the time to travel 12 hours to a property that you need weeks to explore. And not many people can afford a set of rags as property tyres, as you tend to get through a few when using the standard radials. Its like a stoney desert with lots of trees and some intersperced awsome billabongs to camp on. But in summer its like what death valley would be like i think. Always above 50deg c all day, and 35+ deg c at night. So winter/spring is the only time to visit.

sam

Wait a second, your in the lower hemisphere, so that means my summer is your...WINTER!!
Next summer break man, I'm picking up a few extra TSL radials and heading over the big blue with the 40 for some fun down under! ;) :D (would be very cool though)

We have a 400000acre property in western qld
Where in relation is it to Cunnamulla?

Did the Kidman way from Griffith to Cunnamulla through St.George to Derby last December. Cracked the front left Rim on the Caravan about 1/3 around and cracked the rear right Rim on the FZJ80R around the Spoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom